Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #21

Cant help with what's needed for Infinity but we have a Verizon Jetpack MiFi which will get you internet anywhere on the Verizon. The Jetpack MiFi is a monthly pay as you go service, $79.99/mo. Not using it for a month or more just dont pay your bill.

We have our older Netgear dual band router connected to the MiFi via an ethernet cable. This gives us just as reliable WiFi and internet just about anywhere in the US you can get a Verizon signal as we have in our home. We have a Netgear WiFi extender which gives us a strong WiFi signal outdoors around our campsite.

We do have a roof mounted in motion satellite dish with 2 receivers so we can enjoy our local channels on the road as well as a premium package for cable shows and movies.

Sort of redundant but we can get our Spectrum cable through the internet via a smart TV.

2006 Sunseeker 2860ds.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #22

Hey Chris,

Thanks for that! I'm going to look in to this, if you have any websites or urls with the specifics, would appreciate!
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Mofi router model MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4/7 . . . .

THANKS for that, really appreciate the assist!

Old 06-08-2020, 06:02 PM   #24

For where I live it’s ATT as they turned on the first tower 15 months ago, Verizon is zero. Before that it was Hughes satellite, of course the latency is high and it’s not portable.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #25

Here's a link to Verizon with more information on the Jetpack.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1591661103414

My wife bought it and set it up along with our dual band Netgear router we had sitting around after upgrading to the tri band router at home. Sounds like your situation is similar

We also bought an antenna (optional) for the Jetpack for maximum signal strength, signal in and signal out, and a Netgear Wifi extender, plugs into any outlet.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 06-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #26

@Parise > Hi Chris, Thanks for that post. This is definitely one of the options that I'm hearing about in the forums and on my short list to try out.

"We also bought an antenna (optional) for the Jetpack for maximum signal strength, signal in and signal out, and a Netgear Wifi extender, plugs into any outlet."

This may be why your experience is different/better that those in the reviews, which are pretty abysmal. Can you say which antenna and wifi extender you use with this for success?

Thanks again and thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #27

Have to be a little careful here with our experience using what we setup. Ours is good. Thinking back a little, we once owned an AT&T mobile plan and had 7 lines for family members in the same city, some members had bad service. We were very pleased with our service.

Here's a couple of screen prints from Amazon of the equipment you asked about.

Hope this helps.

Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200610-085129_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	231189Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200610-085217_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	231190
Old 06-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #28

If a picture paints a thousand words ... much appreciated, yes that helps a lot! Cheers

Old 06-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #29

I prefer simple so all I have now is a Verizon MiFi 8800 and an AT&T Unite Explore with the $29 Netgear MIMO antenna. Have unlimited plans (grandfathered) for both. Good internet connection everywhere with speeds running from 4-50 mbps.

The only time I have problems is when at a major event where there are another 50,000 devices in the immediate area. There’s nothing that can be done in that situation. Total cost for both plans is $88 a month.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #30

Just a quick reminder here.
Before you start to invest in a lot of WiFi equipment. remember that the StarLink system will be up and running. It may radically alter the methods and cost of the methods available on todays market.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #31

Because of Covid, not much Jetpack usage currently.

A little about the size of the equipment and placement. Jetpack is smaller than the size of my palm. Antennae is maybe 10" tall.

I have a surge protector plugged into an outlet under the booth dinette and the surge protector is on top of the dinette table against the outer wall of the rv. Jetpack is plugged into the surge protector and antenna plugged into Jetpack. We have matching pillows wedged into the booth dinette cushion space against the outer wall of the rv and the surge protector power cord. Keeps everything in place during travel and doesn't take up hardly any table space and everything including the power switch is right there and visible.

That's on one side of the booth dinette.

On the other side, I have our Netgear dual band router sitting on the dinette booth seat cushion, with its cabling and cord wedged under a matching pillow so it doesn't move around either during travel.

The Netgear WiFi Extender is plugged into an overhead outlet. I do take that down for travel.

We also have an Amazon Alexa and an Arlo Security camera that works off of the network in the motorhome . Kind of nice to get answers from Alexa while on a trip.

Chris
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #32

If you want a range extender checkout Engenius products.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Just a quick reminder here.
Before you start to invest in a lot of WiFi equipment. remember that the StarLink system will be up and running. It may radically alter the methods and cost of the methods available on todays market.
Absolutely! StarLink will greatly change broadband internet pricing and access everywhere and I don't think it will take long once it's up and running. Assuming Starlink works as expected, even residential internet prices should be positively effected since places like where I live have basically one choice which means there's no competition.

I think there are now 480 satellites launched so far, 60 at a time (32,000 Linux computers in space so far) and they said they needed a minimum of 400 to begin offering service. Beta testing is supposed to be later this summer.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #34

Starlink probably will be great but it’s going be be quite a while before it’s available everywhere in the USA. Apparently the orbital system will be ready well in advance of the necessary ground stations.

But, as has been proven, never underestimate what the Musk gang can accomplish.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #35

@ aircommuter - I'm looking in to the Engenius offerings now thx.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #36

Hopefully the low altitude satellites will help rural areas if they can make it cost effective and reliable. The current satellite system is neither, at least it would solve the latency problem somewhat. I won’t be interested until it proves itself and gets well below the $35.00 that I now have.
Some years back there was a joint venture with Hughesnet and Microsoft to do this same type of system. Maybe this is a takeover of that.
Having had satellite internet personally for over 15 years, it does go down sometimes for days. Once one of the satellites was hit by some space junk and knocked out of orbit. I had no backup so I had to get a dial up provider for a bit.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #37

TS-9 Incompatible

Ran into a bit of a problem when purchasing a patch cable to connect my MiFi7730 to an external antenna. Currently I am using a Netgear 6000450 MIMO antenna and the TS-9 plugs fit, purchased a Bingfu 4G LTE Antenna Adapter Splitter with TS-9 plugs and it doesn't fit.

I have attached photo of the two plugs, plug on the left is the Netgear while the plug on the right is the Bingfu splitter. Looking at the internal diameter the Netgear TS-9 plug it is a bit larger. Guess I'm back on the hunt for a proper sized TS-9 splitter.

Parise, a question for you. In an earlier post you show screen shot of an adapter, Novatel Mobile Hotspot Dual Plug Antenna Adapter Cable. I have a Yagi Antenna but it will not plug into that cable as it has a different end. Any suggestions on what to use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TS-9 (2).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	231275  

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Hopefully the low altitude satellites will help rural areas if they can make it cost effective and reliable. The current satellite system is neither, at least it would solve the latency problem somewhat. I won’t be interested until it proves itself and gets well below the $35.00 that I now have.
Some years back there was a joint venture with Hughesnet and Microsoft to do this same type of system. Maybe this is a takeover of that.
Having had satellite internet personally for over 15 years, it does go down sometimes for days. Once one of the satellites was hit by some space junk and knocked out of orbit. I had no backup so I had to get a dial up provider for a bit.
The satellites are going up fast. Ground stations will be the holdback.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #39

Theb2b,

My only suggestions are to get the antenna in the screen shot as the antenna and cable connection fit or keep digging for another cable to fit your antenna.

In setting up ours we first bought a cable with antenna connections that didnt fit together also.

Chris
Old 06-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #40

Please don't hijack my thread, go get your own thread or use PM to chatty chatty bang bang about your other issues thank you.

Also I don't give a shite about satellites already, or unicorns etc. In the future when THAT is up and running and rock solid, we can all revisit and celebrate.

I've narrowed a list of HW - cell routers, wifi boosters, antennas etc and will post soon. The list comes from forum suggestions and reseller advice.

My plan is to buy sets of HW, mock up in the living room, move to the Jeep and drive around to test, then implement in the RV.

Tags
wifi