Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #41

@ Nayther - I'd like to know more about which TOGO you bought and what other routing and modem devices you use.

@ aircommuter - I intend to have a deeper look at the MOFI offerings and possibly can use one of these style antennas like the Proxicast.

Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
@ Nayther - I'd like to know more about which TOGO you bought and what other routing and modem devices you use.

@ aircommuter - I intend to have a deeper look at the MOFI offerings and possibly can use one of these style antennas like the Proxicast.

Not sure if other SIM cards will work in the TOGO router but it was initially offered as AT&T only. Unfortunately AT&T has discontinued support or service on the TOGO. All current accounts will be shut down when their prepaid contract expires.

Do you need WiFi coverage more than 50 feet away from the RV?
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #43

Quote:

that would work on the Mofi, just keep in mind that any combination type antennas will not give the same gain as a single yagi for reception and a single omni directional antenna for wifi outside the camper, the Mofi can also be connected to an outside wifi distribution antenna. With the Mofi built in antennas and the unit next to the camper window it will stream TV shows several hundred feet away.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Unfortunately AT&T has discontinued support or service on the TOGO. Do you need WiFi coverage more than 50 feet away from the RV?
THX FOR THE INFO. YES, I WANT TO ACCESS WIFI FROM AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE, I'll NEVER STAY IN A CAMPGROUND IN MY LIFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
just keep in mind that any combination type antennas will not give the same gain as a single yagi for reception and a single omni directional antenna for wifi outside the camper
ROGER THAT, I'M WORKING ALL THE ANGLES ATM. I DON'T INTEND TO SACRIFICE RANGE FOR CONVENIENCE.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #45

Quote:
THX FOR THE INFO. YES, I WANT TO ACCESS WIFI FROM AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE, I'll NEVER STAY IN A CAMPGROUND IN MY LIFE.

ROGER THAT, I'M WORKING ALL THE ANGLES ATM. I DON'T INTEND TO SACRIFICE RANGE FOR CONVENIENCE.

i donít like campgrounds either, I already live more rural on 15 acres than most campgrounds. Those places are like apartments with your RV.
I belong to Boondockers welcome for my stopovers.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
Cant help with what's needed for Infinity but we have a Verizon Jetpack MiFi which will get you internet anywhere on the Verizon. The Jetpack MiFi is a monthly pay as you go service, $79.99/mo. Not using it for a month or more just dont pay your bill.....

2006 Sunseeker 2860ds.

Chris
Same here. I just had mine reactivated for this season. Our phones are on the old Sprint friends and family plans for $25 a month so we just do the prepay Verizon Jetpack MIFI 8800l.

Because I donít have a Verizon phone prepay is the only option for the MIFI and it has to be paid monthly in person or via phone.

The only place we had a problem was in a remote area in New Hampshire so we picked up the MIMO antenna recommended earlier in the thread but havenít had the need to use it yet.

https://smile.amazon.com/Netgear-600...1245872&sr=8-3

My wife teaches for a local college and usually teaches an Online class during the summer so a good Internet Connection is a must.

I have been using the Verizon MIFI as my router and it runs about 6 devices, a mix of phones, IPads, and smart TVís, for the two of us without issue.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #47

If you are going to travel a lot you really need to have service from Verizon and AT&T.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #48

I have the upgraded Continus unit http://www.qavaftermarket.com . Itís a WiFi repeater so if you can see a signal it can rebroadcast it as your SSID. Campground, Xfinity, etc. I rebroadcast a Verizon hotspot. WeBoost RV65 for signal. Also have an unlimited ATT hotspot Built in truck I can rebroadcast with key on. The QAV one also has a Ethernet port should you be married to your current router (not needed)
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #49

I have never camped where there is Wi-Fi. But I do have those kind of repaters on my property.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #50

This is all Greek to me. Been on the road the last two weeks trying to get by on weak campground wifi, my Verizon cell phone hot spot, and long stretches of "no service" while transiting the vast empty spaces of Nevada and Idaho. Really needed the connectivity for wife's business and keeping track of the kids at home.

It sounds like you have lots of answers, any chance y'all could put it into a shopping list and a YouTube setup video? I could probably get it working with that help, or I could go see a vendor whom I might not trust to deliver what's needed at a fair price.

For those dead spaces in the wilderness, is there a viable satellite solution?
nickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #51

@ Nickens - When I find a working solution for my requirements I'll post it comprehensively here. If you want additional info please go start your own thread, thank you.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #52

I use this set to get far away wifi signals:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BZXTW...5&ref=aa_scomp

It works great and pulls in distant Xfinity (any WiFi) signals. It works great connecting to the free locations where we may camp.

Inexpensive and works.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #53

We also purchased the Camp pro.

Added a painters pole for the antenna. Can get it up almost 20' in the air.

Works well. However most parks have limited wifi at best. Throttled to only allow email and shopping. No video for the most part. Sketchy on Spotify.

The Spectrum unlimited cell phone for $45 a month has pretty much taken over the job.

Currently shopping for a cell phone booster.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #54

@ Leatherman - THANKS I see this is a booster with an external antenna that plugs in to the RS 36A router which would act as a WAN port in to my Netgear Nighthawk. This might work as a Wifi repeater solution but in the case it didn't work at a location on on the highway etc I would need to unplug this device then plug in a cell modem. These aren't arduous things to do, unless I have to reboot my netgear each and time which take more than a minute.

Essentially this is the function I'm looking for if not an combo wifi and cell router AIO.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #55

Can you explain what TOGO is? This seems like a possible option for our needs
DMKoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKoetz View Post
Can you explain what TOGO is? This seems like a possible option for our needs
Not an option because the AT&T service is no longer available. However, the mfgr of the hardware, Winegard, reportedly will unlock the device now so SIM cards from other providers will work.

Lots of info here:

https://rvmiles.com/is-att-dropping-...ted-data-plan/
Old 06-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #57

@aircommuter - THX, Mofi called me late this afternoon and said they were only single SIM routers. The fellow sounded a little perturbed when asking about external antennas and told me to search Amazon. I like it in concept but I'm still aiming high for a milti SIM router with load balancing and something that will just out to my existing wifi router. Lot's to process.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #58

Have you looked at info on RV Mobile Internet site? They have a lot of info about sim enabled routers in their public (free) area. Try https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/?s=Multi+sim+router
Old 06-17-2020, 12:02 AM   #59

I got a chuckle, I think I started off there They're a money making blog and everyone gets lost in the myriads of products and reviews. What DON'T they like?

I've talked to these product companies on the phone personally. I honestly can't tell you how many hours I have invested in just this combination communication project.

"This product works great as long as you buy your bandwidth through US"

"This product is great as long as you love <insert carrier>"

"We're happy to sell you OUR product, but you'll have to figure out how out niche solution will fit in to your over-all scheme for a bulletproof design, and world domination".

Screw that, I'm on various forums looking for people like you folks that have already tread this ground and have some real world working examples, at all kinds of prices.

I feel that I'm getting closer though by weeding out all the things I would prefer to not do, narrowing the list a little each week.

I have this mother-of-all internet project, the killer automated solar panel tracker project, the solar battery and solar panel design and installation project, a huge lift and 6x6 conversion project, larger wheels and tires project, new winching bumpers project, a home theater surround sound project, a 4K full surround security camera project, an auto / home alarm system project, and I'm considering a bear spray delivery project. just because.

So for the love of all gods, can I please just find the internet solutions so I can order and test and install already. whew.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #60

Quote:
I got a chuckle, I think I started off there They're a money making blog and everyone gets lost in the myriads of products and reviews. What DON'T they like?

I've talked to these product companies on the phone personally. I honestly can't tell you how many hours I have invested in just this combination communication project.

"This product works great as long as you buy your bandwidth through US"

"This product is great as long as you love <insert carrier>"

"We're happy to sell you OUR product, but you'll have to figure out how out niche solution will fit in to your over-all scheme for a bulletproof design, and world domination".

Screw that, I'm on various forums looking for people like you folks that have already tread this ground and have some real world working examples, at all kinds of prices.

I feel that I'm getting closer though by weeding out all the things I would prefer to not do, narrowing the list a little each week.

I have this mother-of-all internet project, the killer automated solar panel tracker project, the solar battery and solar panel design and installation project, a huge lift and 6x6 conversion project, larger wheels and tires project, new winching bumpers project, a home theater surround sound project, a 4K full surround security camera project, an auto / home alarm system project, and I'm considering a bear spray delivery project. just because.

So for the love of all gods, can I please just find the internet solutions so I can order and test and install already. whew.
Understand what youíre saying about RV Mobile inet blog, but some of their reviews are reasonably accurate.

Iím still not sure exactly what youíre trying to do. You initially said you wanted to connect to xfinity hotspots using your account. So that makes it appear you already have xfinity at home so there should be no connection problems.

I have an xfinity account at home but have found that connecting to their hotspots away from home is erratic. My home router is an Apple AirPort Extreme which has fairly good reception out to a range of about 400 feet. The Netgear router in the Jeep can only be received out to 200 feet.

The Alpha Camp Pro extend system can pick up the Apple WiFi up to Ĺ mile. Sounds good but speedtest shows a drop in speed from 450 mbps when 50 feet from the router down to 3-5 mbps from the Alpha at ⅓ mile away. What Iím getting at here is if you can get connected to an xfinity hotspot donít expect to get very good speeds unless youíre in the next room.

Also, considering where you live once you get more than 50 miles east there are no xfinity hotspots (look at their coverage map). There is a lot of good equipment available to connect to WiFi and cellular signals. They can get pretty expensive and, unfortunately, if they cannot see a signal they just will not work.

Youíve mentioned cellular options but thatís not a reasonably good solution UNLESS you have a grandfathered truly unlimited data plan. There are a lot of plans that claim to be unlimited but there are all kinds of restrictions buried in the fine print. Plus, to get consistent connections you need both AT&T and Verizon. I have both, on grandfathered unlimited plans, and as I travel around at least 50 % of the time one of them will not be usable.

I use both a VZ MiFi 8800L and an AT&T Netgear Unite Explore (almost, but not quite, as good as the Nighthawk). Either can have 15 devices connected to its WiFi signal. That signal is usually good to about 50-60 feet from the motorhome. If I need further range I could just carry the device in my pocket but have never needed to do that. My usage last month was a combined 370 gig.

Since you live along the northern border I recommend you get on the request list to beta test Starlink. Nobody outside of the company knows exactly what equipment is required and what the cost will be but it may be the best option for a boondocker.

Tags
wifi