Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 12:38 AM   #61

I am not exactly clear on what you want to do but my interpretation is this will work.

It also depends on what you want to spend as well. We use these a lot...check the boxes for what you want to do and be prepared to open your wallet...great products though.

https://cradlepoint.com/products/endpoints/

We use them for back door remote console access in data centers as well as remote small office connections router and firewall. You pick how many SIMs, what providers, what technologies you want to use and how you want to connect to it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:02 AM   #62

@ EMM-DEE - Thanks for the plentiful reply. You summed it nicely with the last word - boondocker.

Urban boondocker. That means that I will not have an xfinity cable modem or service. That means I will live in and around the cities, not out cow tipping somewhere. Not at an RV park. It means I'll be around wifi sources all the time and I plan to avail of them to the fullest extent. If I leave the city and go camping I expect to lose communications and I'm fine with that.

You pulled 370gb, I always exceed that. Granted I'll have to be more conservative but in order to effectively WFH, I need GB of data and dl speed.

"That signal is usually good to about 50-60 feet from the motorhome."

I want 500 - 600 feet.

I need a cheap Plan A which is wifi. I need a Plan B which is Lte. And with a dual sim router even my Plan B will have a Plan B.

To the extent I can use WiFi and lesson the cost of the Lte plans, goody for me. To the extent that I have to pull data against plans and deal with throttling or high costs, it's just the price I pay for WFH / remotely.

In order to do these things - I need to right hardware. I'm looking for the best rock solid "I have data and bandwidth one way or another" plan I can pull together with whatever pieces of HW that do the job the best.

I'm looking for a router that does WiFi as WAN like the CradlePoint or the Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 = "If the wired WAN connection goes down, SpeedFusion technology will keep the MK2 connected as it auto-switches to Wi-Fi as WAN or LTE service. You can even add SIM cards from multiple carriers for redundant back-up, border crossing or to avoid hitting data caps."

I know I'm getting warmer, There's a lot to consider still. Data Plans. Antennas. Boosters. Cables. A hole in the roof and a junction box. Power supply. And on and on.

Thanks for brainstorming!

@ DBLedan - Thanks, I've had multiple CradlePoint conversations this week around products like the CBA850/900 or the IBR900 series and agree with your assessment.

Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #63

Thanks for your clarification. Since you’re in a sorta permanent location your options are much better. I originally thought you wanted connections while traveling/camping.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #64

After 2 weeks in forums and countless hours in research and phone calls, I think I have the solution I want to try.

Essentially it would include Pepwave Max Br1 MK2 CAT-6 LTE-Advanced Mobile Router and some choice of AIO omni directions antenna or individual antennas.

This Br1 MK2 and antennas will essentially replace the cable modem and talk to the outside world in the ways I've prescribed. It will use the WiFi and cell data together for internet.

I would retain my NetGear NightHawk 7500 V2 as my wifi router and internal network with 4 1gb LAN ports and all the administration and security features I'm used to.

Between the MK2 and my own router there would then be multiple layers of firewall and filtering and NAT.

With regard to the MK2 I have to decide which type antennas to go with. Will I use the longer and more expensive antennas with higher gain or will I just use an AIO that's low profile and a single thing to mount up top.

I've looked at a myriad of products from hotspots to boosters etc and I feel like this is the best overall get it done right for my needs solution.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #65

Boondock Saint,

Sounds like a really good solution for your needs.

In gauging the audience on this thread, most are not former or current Network Engineers or Network Architects or have the technical layman acumen to fully understand and take advantage of this solution.

Without a doubt, those who find your chosen solution intriguing, will want to try it as well.

As someone who has recently retired and despite having more projects of my own to work on now as a result of being retired, I find myself challenged by time to update readers of this forum and respond to questions with documentation or whatever else I can help other DIYers with.

Please let us know what the results of your final solution looks like when completed. It will be of great benefit to this forum

Thank you

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #66

Thx Chris!

It's not the destination, it's the journey right? Lol hell no, the journey hasn't been fun at all. If I can save anyone else the footwork on this particular solution I'll write up the how-to and connectivity, settings etc.

I'm still reading the manual and contemplating the cable runs etc. If I come to a final resolve I'll pull the trigger this weekend and order the parts.

I'm especially appreciative to everyone for participating because this discussion demonstrates a wide variety of current solutions and gear that people use, in different places and price ranges. This is a good thing, there isn't "one size fits all" and done.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #67

Here is what I am going with, will give it it's first test run this weekend. Driveway testing has looked promising.

Antenna;
Superbat Cellular Yagi Antenna,Cell Phone/Wi-Fi Antenna - 800-2500Mhz Universal Fixed Mount Antenna - N-Female Connector for WiFi & Cell 3G 4G LTE/MIMO
This will be mounted to the top of painters pole that can be extended out to max of 24'.

For cabling;
Phonetone 33 Feet 10M 50-3 Low Loss RF Coaxial Cable RF Cable N Male to N Female Connector.

Connect to my MiFi7730;
External Antenna Adapter Cable Pigtail N Male to 2 X TS9 Male Connector Antenna Cable Splitter Combiner Y Type Cable Pigtail RG316 15CM

Now to mount the painters pole I have a large wooded block for the power hitch base, I've drilled a hole in the block large enough for the pole to slip into and will then strap off the pole to the jack.I will run the cabling into the storage bay then into the camper, see how well this works "out in the field".

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #68

Wow that sounds like a beastly setup! Good luck with your test run this weekend, I hope the weather is good for you.
Perhaps you would make a post with a write up including a parts list with links and a few pics showing your installation?
Surely there are folks out there looking to do what your doing who could benefit from your SME experience on this.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #69

Been raining since we arrived, going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'll post the results tomorrow. Not real good at writing up to do's but will try my best.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #70

Saw what what? No hurries no worries, I was just insinuating maybe ever in the future. If 10 people all documented what they did, and how they went out about it, what their goal was, their rationale for buying what they did, pitfalls to avoid etc then other would benefit for your hard earned experiences. Yeah it's the weekend after all, take a load off and rest a spell. This round's on me!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #71

Here is a quick over view of my field test, still got some details to work but overall jetpack went from one bar to four and 4G, speed is more then decent. I'm thinking this a winning setup.
Think I should do my how-to in a new thread or add it to this one? Don't want to do final write on my phone and I'll have access to my laptop tonight. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_140341.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	231932Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_140337.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	231933Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_140424.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	231934Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_140535.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	231935Click image for larger version

Name:	20200620_140324.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	231936

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #72

Nice to see you’re sticking to the wonderful Forest River tradition of not removing any sawdust while working (second pix)��
Old 06-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Nice to see youíre sticking to the wonderful Forest River tradition of not removing any sawdust while working (second pix)��
No, thats the factory floor, it gets cleaned at the end my shift. I cleaned the storage bay, so I'm better than Forest River.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Here is a quick over view of my field test, still got some details to work but overall jetpack went from one bar to four and 4G, speed is more then decent. I'm thinking this a winning setup.
Think I should do my how-to in a new thread or add it to this one? Don't want to do final write on my phone and I'll have access to my laptop tonight. Attachment 231932Attachment 231933Attachment 231934Attachment 231935Attachment 231936
The antenna and height makes all the difference. Radio waves are still the same just different frequencies. When I was a teenager we were installing yagi antennas on rooftops with a fifty foot mast for TV reception. We had 300 ohm ladder line to keep the loss to a minimum. I use an oval telescoping pole so the sections canít rotate, it 25í. Dual antennas is even better for more fringe areas, or real boondocking.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #75

Quote:
Think I should do my how-to in a new thread or add it to this one?

Ya def start your own new thread and do the justice with the connectivity and specs, urls etc. We can then refer and link to it in a new post here, but for organization and proper decorum, you should have your own thread.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #76

Quote:
No, thats the factory floor, it gets cleaned at the end my shift. I cleaned the storage bay, so I'm better than Forest River.
Factory floor is in pix 3. Folks here have been complaining for years about the trash (ie, sawdust) that FR workers leave behind when building new units.

I was being sarcastic when I referred to all the sawdust remaining where you drilled the holes in the 4x4 in pix 2.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #77

*cough* new thread time! Hint hint.

This constant effin effity eff eff thread subscription site is making nucking futs! I want to turn it off forum-wide forever and always no exception to the end of time.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #78

My How To

Ok, finally got my how to posted, see it here.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2351327

Writing up how-to's is not my strong suit.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
Old 06-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #79

It's a xmas miracle!

That's a great first write up, it'll do just fine. Thanks for taking the time and effort and making the contribution.
If there exists some savvy mod who could move your posts with your better pics to YOUR thread, that would be just swell. But who could do such a thing? Inquiring minds want to know

Tags
wifi