Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #1

Rockwood

I’m just trying to figure out how to sell my 2021 Rockwood without taking a total loss. Might trade it in because it has so many things wrong with it on an occasional basis I would not feel good selling to an individual.
Mshodges22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Forum Administration/News/Member Accounts section to the General Community Discussion section since the OP's questions have nothing to do with that section.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome to the forum, I see it is your 1st post!

When you say "it has so many things wrong with it on an occasional basis"... well... (and I'm not being smart) but welcome to the world of R/V ownership. Are these things that have been repaired or do they need repaired? The latter will greatly affect the value.

I'm not sticking up for build quality but these tiny houses go down the road at 60 MPH and and can break at a moments notice. We all fix stuff somewhat regularly. Mostly, the bigger things weed themselves out in the 1st year and then it is maintaining them from there.

Dealers often want to sell new (bigger profit) so they lowball you on trade in. Interest rates are a little high now so outright sale may be limited to those with more cash. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshodges22 View Post
I’m just trying to figure out how to sell my 2021 Rockwood without taking a total loss. Might trade it in because it has so many things wrong with it on an occasional basis I would not feel good selling to an individual.
Every rig has things go wrong with it 'on an occasional basis'. As long as you disclose any problems, you can sell to an individual with a clear conscience.

I can't see how you'd take a total loss. Dealers will give you the lowest price. Consignment is an option, but read the details carefully. We considered it for out tt, but their 'prep' cost would have wiped out our investment.
The cheapest way to sell is to put a 'for sale' on the trailer and put it in a place where it can be seen.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #5

Yes I know all about RVing, been doing it solid for 10 years. 3rd Forrest River product but this is a true lemon. When I say occasionally I mean every outing. Awning motor has been replaced twice in 2 years. Probably my last Forest River
Mshodges22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 05:16 PM   #6

Stuff on travel trailers will break. They get drug down the road of potholes and bumps at 60 to 70 MPH. That will shake many items loose or to pieces. They are parked on unlevel sites, forced to be level and things twist and bend. They are built from an assortment of products designed and built by other companies. Price becomes a factor.

In many cases, there is the use and abuse factor. Not being used is a negative on longevity. Lack of routine maintenance is another. Sitting outside is another that contributes to issues. Yet there are many items that have consumable components. A motor will only operate x number of times. Overload it and the x number of times is reduced. Get it wet, allow it to freeze and next spring it is replacement time.

Ever own a boat? Same thing. Just different stuff breaks. Same price.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

That thing about the awning motor is unacceptable. My Dometic retracts like molasses, and I'm waiting for my motor to crap out one day. 2021 model year was noted. I would not buy ANYTHING made during COVID nonsense.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Yes I know all about RVing, been doing it solid for 10 years. 3rd Forrest River product but this is a true lemon. When I say occasionally I mean every outing. Awning motor has been replaced twice in 2 years. Probably my last Forest River
Since Forest River doesn't manufacturer the awning nor the motors, what are the issues you're have that FR is responsible for?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That thing about the awning motor is unacceptable. My Dometic retracts like molasses, and I'm waiting for my motor to crap out one day. 2021 model year was noted. I would not buy ANYTHING made during COVID nonsense.
The retention spring is a big contributor to motor issues. Too tight and it puts a lot of stress on the motor. Too loose and it requires the motor to work harder. Both contribute to motor issues. This is an install issue where the spring is not correctly tensioned.

Bob
Old 11-10-2023, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
What Rockwood do you have. We have a 2022 2891BH that we really like. Our first trip (2022) was from Alabama to the Grand Canyon, Utah, Idaho, Seattle Washington and return (10,000 miles) There were so many things wrong when we got back it had to go back Factory. Last year was our second near cross country trip, (Texas, Colorado and Idaho) very minor issues when we returned. The biggest was the fireplace glass mounts broke off. Rockwood replaced the glass it with no issue. NEXT YEAR WE ARE ALASKA BOUND TO SEE OUR SON WHO IS STATIONED IN VALDEZ.
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:50 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
The retention spring is a big contributor to motor issues. Too tight and it puts a lot of stress on the motor. Too loose and it requires the motor to work harder. Both contribute to motor issues. This is an install issue where the spring is not correctly tensioned.

Bob
During the Goshen FROG rally a few years ago, they tried to figure out why only 8v was getting to motor. Blamed it on a bad ground and rewired some stuff behind switches. Dometic also put a brand new awning and tube on. Still retracting so slow.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #12

What gets me about the RV industry, unlike the automotive and most others, is when something breaks such as the OP's awning motor, you hear comments like "Well why is that Forest River's fault?" You don't hear Ford tell you to call JVC because your dash information center/radio doesn't work. Or if the A/C compressor stops working they don't tell you to contact Evans who makes many vehicle compressors. The RV manufacturers should stand behind whatever products they decide to equip their vehicles with. Nope, they don't, it is part of the world of differences we RV'ers painfully accept to enjoy the freedom of traveling the highways and byways of this incredibly beautiful country. But, it doesn't make it right.

A boxer can take only so many punches to the face, and I believe the same will hold true for RV'ers and the RV industry as more and more folks tire of what is put before us.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
What gets me about the RV industry, unlike the automotive and most others, is when something breaks such as the OP's awning motor, you hear comments like "Well why is that Forest River's fault?" You don't hear Ford tell you to call JVC because your dash information center/radio doesn't work. Or if the A/C compressor stops working they don't tell you to contact Evans who makes many vehicle compressors. The RV manufacturers should stand behind whatever products they decide to equip their vehicles with. Nope, they don't, it is part of the world of differences we RV'ers painfully accept to enjoy the freedom of traveling the highways and byways of this incredibly beautiful country. But, it doesn't make it right.

A boxer can take only so many punches to the face, and I believe the same will hold true for RV'ers and the RV industry as more and more folks tire of what is put before us.
Well stated. I don't think the industry will change though, given these are mainly 'luxury' purchases, with little competition, unlike auto industry, which has tremendous competition for buyers. People who get the urge to buy an RV will do so regardless.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post

I think a better comparisons the air bag fiasco that we recently went thru. I don't think any individual automaker took much of a reputation hit due to those. It did cost them a fortune to do all the replacements.

On NJKris's awning, I'd bet about the only thing FR does is bolt it to the trailer. Spring tension was probably done by Dometic.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
During the Goshen FROG rally a few years ago, they tried to figure out why only 8v was getting to motor. Blamed it on a bad ground and rewired some stuff behind switches. Dometic also put a brand new awning and tube on. Still retracting so slow.
Yep, with only 8 volts applied to the motor, it will be as slow as molasses on a cold day. The issue is not the motor but the voltage drop under the load of the motor. There are circuit breakers or fuses in the positive line. The issue may be a defective circuit breaker having high resistance. Or fuse contacts being poor, loose or dirty.

If they rewired some stuff behind the switches and didn't resolve the issue, then the troubleshooting and repair efforts were a failure. With a bit of due diligence and a DVM the issue shouldn't be difficult to find.

Bob

Tags
rockwood