Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Rockwood / 8289 heating system / Resolved

Well after talking to FR and getting nowhere on the return air of the heating system being drawn from the storage area and not anywhere from the cabin, I now have the problem resolved. First FR said it was up to code because they installed a 2" duct to the compartment (useless). They called it a "livable space" (a waste of heat and a cheap way out in my opinion). I called Suburban (heater mfg.) and the Manager asked that I send pictures of the installation which I did. He turned it over to the auditor at the plant. It seems they have a rep located where FR makes the unit. The reply from Suburban was that if I did not make any modifications to the unit, it is not installed according to their specs. They emailed my dealer, RVOUTLET in Va., whom has been great trying to help out. They had another unit and took it apart and agreed with Suburban. Forest River said to cut a register in the step and that would meet suburban requirements(which would have). There is a very big gray area here as I was told. Well my dealer is now going to enclose my furnace and cut two returns in the steps for the required square inches needed for the unit to operate correctly. The 2" supply duct that is located in that area is now being moved to the head and shower area where there is nothing now. (What a waste of heat.) Forest River will pay for the registers being cut in, but my dealer is only charging me 75.00 to do the rest of the work stated above. It was my choice.

I read all my manuals that came with the unit, that's how I found out this requirement on the return air. I have done HVAC for 20 years and do understand how a unit works. The temp diff between the areas after setting the stat was cabin 68 storage area 76 as installed. If anyone is close to Virginia and looking for a great dealer take the time and go see RVOUTLET. This has all been verified by Suburban thru my dealer and will not void any warranty as long as they do the modification. Much more eff. unit design now. I guess if I was a squirrel, I would have to agree with the concept that the storage area is a "livable space". Thanks to everyone who responded to the original question on the system. I'm glad I finally have this resolved.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to see that you got the problem resolved. Hopefully Forest River will make the same modification to the 8289's in production and pay to modify the cold air return on the campers already sold.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Tee

Glenn,
My basement vent had a register that could be turned off. So I turned it off and taped it over. Didn't know the bathroom didn't have heat, now I need to go look!!!
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

I'm glad that they made the change. How do you like the unit know that you had time to play with it? congrat's on the TT. did you set it up for the sidewinder?
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Tee

No sidewinder for me, My B&W companion is not recommended to have the wedge type deal installed, still trying to get ahold of that 5th Airborn I told you about.
T
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote