Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #1

Rolling condo

Hi, we just joined this forum as we are looking at upgrading from a popup to a travel trailer. We don't yet have a tow vehicle but we belong to a campground and plan to store the camper there and pay them to tow it on and off a site ($15 each way). We really like the campground and don't mind if that's where we'll be vacationing. So for now, it'll be a "rolling condo". Does anyone else out there use their camper as a rolling condo? I see from some of the posts I've read that I may need to make a trip back to the dealer for maintenance and that may prove difficult. I suppose I can rent a truck or perhaps pay someone to tow it for us. Any thoughts, suggestions?
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

my thoughts aren't really going to address ur question.
i would visit it regularly, trailers (and vehicles) that sit tend to age faster. if a leak develops, u would want to know abt that asap.
there are mobile repair services that can take care of u without towing back to the dealer. if it is warranty or major, the dealer is probably going to want u to come in.
other than that, that is the only neg. i can think of.
actually, i wouldn't think it would be any different than someone that stored their trailer in a local storage facility rather than at home between trips.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #3

Not exactly sure what you mean by "rolling condo" that would make it any different from how anyone else utilizes a travel trailer, but you may talk to your dealer to see if they offer on-site service. They would probably charge extra for this, so it will cost extra either way. If you weren't planning on actually traveling with your trailer (ours will be "permanent" at one campground as well), then it may not prove to be much hassle at all, just a bit of extra expense. I think if you were to calculate the cost over time for what you would have to pay someone to tow your trailer, vs. the cost of ownership of a decent tow vehicle, it would probably be much cheaper to simply pay someone. But if a new tow vehicle were replacing an existing vehicle, it would give you the freedom to take the trailer other places without having to make towing arrangements with someone else. (I hope that makes some sense... I haven't had my coffee yet this morning )
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote