Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #1

Roof cleaning

How often do you clean and put UV protection on your roof? Do you do it yourself? If so, any tips and tricks?

Thanks so much!
CaptainJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

I think a lot of that depends on your RV lifestyle.

My RV is always parked under cover when not being used. It is used mostly in the fall and winter in the south and not usually under any trees.

It does not get that dirty and does not get that much sunlight on it. I have washed it thoroughly once a year, but I crawl up there twice a year to check the roof.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJohn View Post
How often do you clean and put UV protection on your roof? Do you do it yourself? If so, any tips and tricks?

Thanks so much!
This is a topic I've searched and searched. Most people with a new(ish) TT probably have a TPO roof. I've seen so many recommendations for cleaning and protection. One thing is for certain. No bleach and absolutely no power washer. I've seen people on here mention they've called the manufacturer of TPO roof and they say to clean with Murphy's Oil Soap and not to protect it with a UV protection because it's built in and not necessary and could possibly cause more damage. I've seen documentation from the manufacturer that says to use Spic n Span (powder) or Top Job to clean.

If you search you'll see the answers are far and wide. I know I"m not that helpful, but then again I'm not sure there is a definite answer.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #4

Just washed mine yesterday after checking with the service department on weather my roof was EPDM or TPO (Its TPO) I was told that Dawn was fine to use so I did. Used fairly strong with warm water in bucket and used a wash mit. Roof seemed not very dirty at start but I was kinda surprised at the amount of dirty water as I cleaned. Roof now looks great and heading out soon to lap seal a few spots that seem to need it. Also was told no need to use UV protectorate.
Willbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
"On the road again"

I'm a firm believer in Murphy Oil Soap. With our previous fifth wheel (a Columbus) I used it continually and the roof stayed very clean and no doubt helped with the trade-in. Now with our TPO roof on the Cardinal...that practice will continue.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, roo, roof