Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Roof top vent and other questions on an Apex 215 RBK

Good morning everyone I am looking for help/thoughts/experience on my conundrum. I am looking to purchase a 2016 Apex 215 RBK and saw one for the first time this weekend. From my perspective they have two major flaws. (one that is fix-able and one I am not sure about). And a third question about the quality of the tires.

Fresh water drain: The fresh water drain is located about 2 feet under the camper, and the only way I can see that it is accessible is by crawling under the camper. For this 66 year old arthritic who has been dealing with the arthritis for almost 60 years this is unacceptable. I think the dealer is willing to adapt it and make it work.

Roof Vents: For those not familiar this unit's box is 20 feet long with a total length of 25 feet. This unit has only one roof vent and that is in the bathroom. I have owned two 18 foot Hybrids and one 18 foot camp trailer with a walk around bed. This is the first unit of this size that I have seen with only one roof vent. I am concerned about the lack of ability to move air in the unit especially when it is hot and you are dry camping (which we do a fair amount of). Has anyone ever had this issue and is it insurmountable?

Tires: My last question, (because I have had issues with tires on a new rig not lasting) has anyone heard of Converse tires (spelling?), are they any good?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob k
Love to communicate via the airwaves
WT7E (Ham Radio)
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

#1 Certainly the dealer could extend the drain hose to the side or rear and put the shut off valve where you can easily reach it.

#2 I have a 40' 5th wheel with 1 vent that is in the bathroom. No real problems with ventilation. We just open a couple of windows and or the door.

#3 Can't help with the tire question. I've never heard of that brand, but I will bet they are made in China.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

Keith do you have a different fan in the bathroom other than the factory installed unit? e.g. Fantastic vent?
WT7E (Ham Radio)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

I also have only one roof vent, in the bathroom, in my 38 foot Wildcat fiver.
It has never been an issue. The tires a most likely cheap China made ST tires.
Many TTers come with China ST tires. I have been told that almost all of the ST tires come from China and that they don't make ST tires in the US?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

I got some PEX, an elbow and a valve and extended the drain on my Mini Lite.

Shoot some black paint on it and it "disappears."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water tank drain unpainted.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	102507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water tank drain painted.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	102508  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the input, what you did looks professional, and gives me a lot to go on. I may even pass these pics on to the dealer as an example if that is alright.

Bob k
WT7E (Ham Radio)
Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Not to hijack,but rockfordroo,why would you place the water line that close to the tire.When you pop a tire it will be the first thing to go.IMHO
I mean it's not if,it's when.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandAnitaK View Post
Keith do you have a different fan in the bathroom other than the factory installed unit? e.g. Fantastic vent?
Bob, the fan in the bathroom was not even a fantastic vent, just a cheap knock off. Still did the job when needed. Seems like all the manufactures are getting away from putting the crank open vents in anymore. Just selling a second and third air conditioner.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Not to hijack,but rockfordroo,why would you place the water line that close to the tire.When you pop a tire it will be the first thing to go.IMHO
I mean it's not if,it's when.
Seemed like the best place. Couldn't really go much farther back, due to the waste tank piping, and going forward puts me under the slide, so it would just as useless with the slide out as if it weren't there. Couldn't go in front of the slide, as my stinky slinky fence post is there. I probably could have gone across the camper to the curb side, but that didn't really occur to me at the time, and I'm not sure I'd want to go there.

If the tire goes, I suspect it will tear the hanger off, but I suspect it won't do much to the PEX. PEX is pretty stout stuff.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Seemed like the best place. Couldn't really go much farther back, due to the waste tank piping, and going forward puts me under the slide, so it would just as useless with the slide out as if it weren't there. Couldn't go in front of the slide, as my stinky slinky fence post is there. I probably could have gone across the camper to the curb side, but that didn't really occur to me at the time, and I'm not sure I'd want to go there.

If the tire goes, I suspect it will tear the hanger off, but I suspect it won't do much to the PEX. PEX is pretty stout stuff.
IF the tire came apart, the waste drain may not fair any better. A blow out is the (un)luck of the draw. We blew a tire on our cargo trailer. It completely came apart, but only left rubber scuff marks in the fender well The aluminum fender bent slightly, but was bent back-basically, no damage other than the tire. The neighbor blew a tire on his cargo trailer and tore the fender off. The one suggestion I may have is to use a nylon bolt to attach it to the hanger. The nylon would shear before the hanger strap or bolt. It may also prevent undercarriage damage where the strap is attached at the top point. As you pointed out, it is probably in the best place.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

As for the water drain just ask the dealer, as for the bath vent as long as it is a fantastic type you will be fine, now as for tire that opens up the belly of the beast, just keep a close eye on them and replace as needed, as for the brand you state never heard of them but dose not mean much, brands come and go.
Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, trailer, vent