Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Is it worth the money to upgrade leveling jacks?
Yes 0 0%
No 3 50.00%
Depends 3 50.00%
Always better to upgrade. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

Rusty Stabilizing Jacks

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. We bought a new, 2020 Flagstaff Microlite 25 bds in the fall of 2019 and really like it except for one thing. I noticed that the paint on the stabilizing jacks was flaking off in big flakes within six months of purchase. At that time the trailer had just over 1,000 miles on it, never in winter. In spring I went back to the dealer to complain. It's a great dealership and I've had great service. They told me, however, that they have made multiple claims to Forest River on just that issue and all have been turned down because it's an "environmental issue". Okay, I know that rust over time is an environmental issue but paint literally falling off in mild weather within six months is not due to environment but due to improper prep and painting. Apparently, Forest River believes that they can source cheap, improperly painted jacks because any problems can be dismissed as "environmental". I know they know better! Sad.
So, has anyone had experience with aftermarket jacks? I see some on Amazon that are heavier gauge with 7,500 lb capacity but none mention paint finish at all. Mine make my new trailer look junky so I don't want to go through this again. I know there are those of you out there with experience and I'd appreciate any advice.
Tom
FlagstaffTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mine look pretty shabby too. It seems to be the norm. But they work fine. I plan on unbolting them and using a power tool to knock off old paint and rust and give them a good painting with Rustoleum.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

I was able to get FR to replace mine within the first year but I had two major manufacturing failures that they fixed at the factory service center so I think they did that to appease me. They were better quality with better powder coating and plating of the threaded rod and trunnions but in less than a year all the powder coated parts are showing signs of rusting and one is already flaking off. I doubt that there are any stabilizer jacks that won’t rust.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Ya the paint may be a problem with that said I don't see it as a reason to replace a stabilizer. Next time the rig is parked (either camped or stored) pull the stabilizer and clean the rust prep and paint, problem solved.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #5

I can paint them but my point is that for a basically new trailer I shouldn't have to. Is anyone else offended by Forest River calling this an "Environmental issue" on a trailer with 2,000 miles on it, never pulled on salty winter roads?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	250525  
FlagstaffTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #6

Regardless of what FR has called them or how offended you may be the bottom line is they need maintenance. I recommend two days camping pull the stabilizer, clean and paint them. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

On my TT it wasn't just flaking paint and rust.

Workmanship on the jack mechanism was atrocious. Nut on rnd of shaft welded to shaft off- center. Threads rough. Thrust bearing more appropriate for a kid's toy.

I didnt bother with a warranty claim as it would only result in replacing with same cheap item.

I bought new, Cynder brand, from Amazon. Paint far better and screw/bearing assembly is cad plated for anti corrosion.

I think that the " decision makers" figure most who see flaking paint with rust will just brush and paint, making no fuss. The few that do fuss will be a minor expense compared to what they saved.

BTW, this isn't just a FR problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #8

When you see rust like that it is mostly from road salt that was never washed off. Our trailer was delivered in December after a 2,000 mile voyage. Upon receipt you could see all the road salt that built up. I spent a good hour hosing off the entire undercarriage.

I suggest you spray your jacks liberally with a silicone based lubricant. Open and close them a few times spraying as you go.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #9

Easy fix! Sand and paint with a quality rust prevention spray paint.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

IMO
use them as they are
they will always get rusty
nobody notices the rust except you

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
When you see rust like that it is mostly from road salt that was never washed off. Our trailer was delivered in December after a 2,000 mile voyage. Upon receipt you could see all the road salt that built up. I spent a good hour hosing off the entire undercarriage.

I suggest you spray your jacks liberally with a silicone based lubricant. Open and close them a few times spraying as you go.

Mine never saw salty roads and still look that city. They are obviously low-bid. I agree it is shameful putting these things on a camper, mine were rusty within a year of brand new. Imagine a car mfr putting on door handles that rusted like that. Truly is a disgrace. I know this company uses a lot of 'builder grade' components, but this.....c'mon man. Just because the whole industry produces turds doesn't mean they should.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

The picture you posted looks like mine did. If the paint wasnt totally flaked off, I could remove it in huge sheets. I swear they had fallen into the ocean on the way from China and were retrieved.

I removed and dissembled them, wire brushed, used rust reformer and repainted them. When they rust again, I’ll toss them and buy better ones.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
IMO
use them as they are
they will always get rusty
nobody notices the rust except you
Exactly!
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagstaffTom View Post
I can paint them but my point is that for a basically new trailer I shouldn't have to. Is anyone else offended by Forest River calling this an "Environmental issue" on a trailer with 2,000 miles on it, never pulled on salty winter roads?
Holy crap! THAT IS UGLY RUST!
I just lightly wire brush it and slather rust converter on it. Leaves a clear plastic finish, acid in the converter destroys rust & blackens it. Repaint or not after that.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Holy crap! THAT IS UGLY RUST!
I just lightly wire brush it and slather rust converter on it. Leaves a clear plastic finish, acid in the converter destroys rust & blackens it. Repaint or not after that.
Paint won't fix the basic problem. Cheap, poorly made and not a case of if it will break but when.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #16

Our camper stays near the ocean. I need to spend time with the exposed metal parts and clean and paint them. Steps, frame, stabilizers etc.

Stabilizers were optional and the dealer did not order them, the ones I put on are starting to rust too.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Paint won't fix the basic problem. Cheap, poorly made and not a case of if it will break but when.
They are stabilizer jacks... with a little lube on the screws and the pivot points... tell me how they are going to break in normal wear and tear?

I recognize that it is maddening to get something brand new and there is rust on it within weeks of getting it...
but is this not making a mountain out of a molehill?

Besides tires, what takes more of a weather/road beating then stab jacks on an RV?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #18

Looks about as bad as our mini lite did in less than 2 yrs. Wasn't worth a repaint in my opinion because of the shoddy materials used in manufacturing. I just replaced them with BAL. Stronger and thicker material and paint. Had I known I would have upgraded before leaving the dealer lot.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
They are stabilizer jacks... with a little lube on the screws and the pivot points... tell me how they are going to break in normal wear and tear?

In my case, one of the rear jacks failed. The foot rusted badly enough that the sides collapsed. I need to order replacements but can't decide on brand. Cynder, Libra, Huskey, BAL are the contenders.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #20

I've have a similar awakening with my FR3, I purchased the MH "new" in Nov 2018 (it is a 2019). The vehicle had 2000 miles on it.. From the trip Indiana to CA.
2 months later, I went under the vehicle to install a steering stabilizer, and noticed that the entire undercarriage had some form of surface rust I mean a lot, not quite what the OP has . Shocked I was, but also was informed by FR when I called that while the MH was a 2018 the FORD F53 Chassis tends to sit outside in the Indiana weather for months at a time waiting for its turn to hit the factory.
Have no clue about trailer frames and stabilizers no one wants to see that!

I just took a sander and took off as much rust I could then Primes & painted, then few weeks later sprayed on Fluid Film all over the undercarriage.

I spend a lot of time on the coast near the ocean, so I know I need to do this again. It appears to work slowing down the rust. But surprising to me as the OP to say the least
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks