Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

RV App for road and clearance

Happy Hump Day all!! So, I am new to the forum, new to owning a Class A and planning a trip from San Antonio to Moab, UT with a few stops that may be a bit spicy. I did search and found a lot of useful info but it also was a year or more older thread, so thought I would create a new one in case there is a newer, better app or resource available.

I am looking to be able to plan my trip and read RV Trip Wizard is pretty fantastic. Now, we don't have GPS unit and downloaded Road Hunter but it is mainly for trucks so it didn't give me options for my full height and length. My biggest concern is going thru the mountains more so the road to Pagosa Springs, CO so, any apps that will help with even road conditions to maybe a not recommended comment... I believe RV Life App was mentioned.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to our first long trip in our 2017 FR Georgetown 38 foot class A
epitts524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from the Space Coast!

I use rvtripwizard.com and love it. You can enter your rv specs and you can download a rv safe route. I also belong to Rvlife which is affiliated with rvtripwizard. You can become a pro member with a discount and have both.

With Rvlife you can download a rvsafe route to your phone along with the map data so you don’t need a gps or internet.

Go to rvtripwizard.com and check out their 7 day free trial. If you decide to get it check out the Rvlife pro membership for a discount on both.

As far as roads and how much grade and curves I use mountain directory. Check it out. I have the iPad app. Here is a link to their web page.. https://www.mountaindirectory.com/

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #3

If you're going the most direct route, San Antonio, TX to Pagosa Springs, CO don't think mountain driving needs to be part of your experience.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
I've been reading these forums for a while now and I get the sense that there are no apps out there that are absolutely correct. There are some free ones and expensive ones so take your pick and caveat emptor. It is generally the alternate routing that will screw you up. Again, this is just my sense of reading the various posts. YMWV
Old 08-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you're going the most direct route, San Antonio, TX to Pagosa Springs, CO don't think mountain driving needs to be part of your experience.
I think it is more the getting up to our friends property at the top!
Old 08-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Welcome to the forum from the Space Coast!

I use rvtripwizard.com and love it. You can enter your rv specs and you can download a rv safe route. I also belong to Rvlife which is affiliated with rvtripwizard. You can become a pro member with a discount and have both.

With Rvlife you can download a rvsafe route to your phone along with the map data so you don’t need a gps or internet.

Go to rvtripwizard.com and check out their 7 day free trial. If you decide to get it check out the Rvlife pro membership for a discount on both.

As far as roads and how much grade and curves I use mountain directory. Check it out. I have the iPad app. Here is a link to their web page.. https://www.mountaindirectory.com/
Thank you. I will look at that as well. I am on RV Trip Wizard right now.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #7

I have RV Trip Wizard and like it especially for planning a trip. Also have RV Life which use occasionally as haven't gotten it to work like I would want it to. But I will keep working it and hopefully will get it to work somewhat like Google Maps some day.

From what I can remember in using Life that I didn't like, was if I put in all my stops (end of day, rest stops, fuel stops, sight seeing stops, etc.) that it only goes with the first stop then you have to select again. Thus if you decided to skip the stop Life wants to keep routing you back.

Would be nice to select the end of day and have the ability to skip any of the stops you had entered, have live traffic updates, etc. If I end up using Google then I have to really watch the routing as it won't lock in the route RV Trip Wizard has given Google. Thus you could end up on a road (gravel or two lane road w/no lines) which is not conducive for an RV/Truck or routing through low overpasses.

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I remember that is the way it was working for me. I know they have made updates to Wizard, maybe they have updated Life as well. Haven't been anywhere since got back home March 13th to see if they have.

It does cost for both, but I think it is worth it. I plan to renew when the time comes.

Good luck on your decision.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

I like truck map. Key in your length and weigh and it calculates routes based on those factors.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I have RV Trip Wizard and like it especially for planning a trip. Also have RV Life which use occasionally as haven't gotten it to work like I would want it to. But I will keep working it and hopefully will get it to work somewhat like Google Maps some day.

From what I can remember in using Life that I didn't like, was if I put in all my stops (end of day, rest stops, fuel stops, sight seeing stops, etc.) that it only goes with the first stop then you have to select again. Thus if you decided to skip the stop Life wants to keep routing you back.

Would be nice to select the end of day and have the ability to skip any of the stops you had entered, have live traffic updates, etc. If I end up using Google then I have to really watch the routing as it won't lock in the route RV Trip Wizard has given Google. Thus you could end up on a road (gravel or two lane road w/no lines) which is not conducive for an RV/Truck or routing through low overpasses.

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I remember that is the way it was working for me. I know they have made updates to Wizard, maybe they have updated Life as well. Haven't been anywhere since got back home March 13th to see if they have.

It does cost for both, but I think it is worth it. I plan to renew when the time comes.

Good luck on your decision.
Rerouting is pretty much what any gps does. If you put in a route or even a multiple stop route the gps will go to the waypoints in the order you have entered them. If you decide not to go to the first waypoint the gps will try to reroute you. It thinks you got lost or missed a turn. They can’t read your mind, yet...lol. You have to tell the gps to go to the next waypoint which is usually a manual command on the gps.

The Rvlife route is the same way. It just lists each leg separately. Point a to point b, point b to point c, etc. if you select the first leg it will route you from your current location to point b even though your current location might not be What is listed as Point a. So if you skip waypoint b cancel the a to b leg and select the b to c leg. It will route you from your current location to point with a rv safe route.

You can also go into rvtripwizard and change your trip. It will automatically sync to the Rvlife app route.

As far as google maps and Waze go I use them if I know my legs will not take me on any unsafe rv routes. This is when I am mostly driving interstates or roads I know.

I also usually do not take a reroute on Waze or google due to traffic issues unless I know I’m on a safe road. There is no way to tell where the detour will take you. Maybe thru a small town with narrow turns, low trees, bridges, etc. There was only one time so far that I followed the detour and it happened when I was on I-75 and there was an accident on the Macon Bypass that I was taking and it routed me to not take the bypass but stay on I-75. I knew I was good to go.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post

Good news when you renew next - RV Trip Wizard and RV Life PRO have been bundled together now and the price of one gets both.

The RV Life app is the mobile version (with GPS) of the Trip Wizard planner and regular updates are made to both. Trips planned at home on your computer will sync to RV Life PRO and if you are a Campground Reviews user as well, you will find that RV Life Pro provides you with ad free viewing at Campground Reviews.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitts524 View Post
Happy Hump Day all!! So, I am new to the forum, new to owning a Class A and planning a trip from San Antonio to Moab, UT with a few stops that may be a bit spicy. I did search and found a lot of useful info but it also was a year or more older thread, so thought I would create a new one in case there is a newer, better app or resource available.

I am looking to be able to plan my trip and read RV Trip Wizard is pretty fantastic. Now, we don't have GPS unit and downloaded Road Hunter but it is mainly for trucks so it didn't give me options for my full height and length. My biggest concern is going thru the mountains more so the road to Pagosa Springs, CO so, any apps that will help with even road conditions to maybe a not recommended comment... I believe RV Life App was mentioned.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to our first long trip in our 2017 FR Georgetown 38 foot class A

Hi A couple of comments

We visited Moab last year in November and were warned about CO mountains that time of year. At someone's suggestion we took I40 to Albuquerque then 550 /64/191 to Moab. This helped us avoid mountains and also allowed us to take in places like Monument Valley. Not sure it'll help because you mention Pagosa Springs but I thought I'd mention it.

By clearance I assume you mean bridge clearance. Rand McNally has( had ?) a Motor Carriers Road Atlas that's got a section for bridge clearances . If they still publish them it might be worth getting .I usually found them at truck stops ( Flying J etc)
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #12

Go to campendium.com . Their pro app does everything u need.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #13

RV trip wizard

We used RV Trip Wizard to plan 2 3-month road trips. Live it. Our Rand McNally RV GPS fried the first day out. Our phone-based GPS sent us down some very sketchy roads. Rest of the trip I’m going by trip wiz’s route. With DW’s map book scrutinizing each turn, of course.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitts524 View Post

Welcome epitts I started using HAMMER a free gps app for truckers. Just type in as if you are driving a truck. I drive a 32' A class and it has been great for avoiding low over passes.
RUTROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyote61 View Post
Go to campendium.com . Their pro app does everything u need.
good info. apple ios only.. not available for the rest of us.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote