Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #21

RVS-CW-CAM | Wireless Backup Camera System | Quad View Monitor with Cigarette Lighter Adaptor | Rear View Safety

I have this and while not HD it works well.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #22

The '14 Silverado LTZ does not have daytime running lights. It has automatic lights. These do not power the trailer's running lights. You have to turn on the headlights manually or wait till it gets dark and the truck turns them on for you for the backup camera to work. I had a '14 Sierra 1500 LTE and now have a '16 2500HD Denail Duramax.

I stumbled onto Amazon one day whern they had the price wrong on the HD Furion and got it for $328. Right now it's $465. So I got the 48 digital model for the price of the 12 analog unit. Sweet. I love it. It gives me a great picture. I use a vent mount made for cell phones to hold the monitor. It is perfect for backing and great for knowing who's behind and next to you. It's money well spent.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #23

Tough choice selecting a cam system. There are lots of good units accompanied by really lots and lots of pure junk. Sometimes the camera is good but the monitor is a piece of junk, or the other way around.

The best setup is wired direct from the camera to the monitor. Lots of work to install and just about impossible to run the wiring in an RV. Only option we have is wireless, either proprietary gigahertz systems or wifi systems. It's all about personal preference.

My preference is wifi. Using that method I can take advantage of the really hi definition of the Sharx camera (1920x1080). It connects to a router about 25 or so feet ahead in the front bedroom. Then, I use an iPad mini to connect to the router and become a monitor (or sometimes an iPhone 6S). I don't think any rear cam dedicated monitor can come anywhere close to the resolution and picture quality of the IOS devices. Any Android phone or tablet can connect but I know nothing about their video resolution quality. They will also probably be better than dedicated monitors.

Since just about everyone here has an iPad, iPhone, Android phone or tablet, you don't have to purchase a monitor, so the total cost for the Sharx plus wifi router is under $400. Another benefit is the Sharx has a built in sd card that records the last 6-8 hours of what it saw behind the rv.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #24

Have you looked into Order Your Wireless Backup Camera from Tadibrothers Today! Tadi Brother has both wireless and wired back up cameras. I wanted a camera system that I could use to help me connect to my 5th wheel hitch and also a camera to mount to the rear of my 42' trailer because the mirrors on my F250 stink. I went with what they call an Ice Cube camera and mounted it on top of my 3rd break light and direct wired it to the monitor inside it works great. The other camera I have is wireless and it works but I do get some signal interference. I am still working with them to try and eliminate the interference but so far it seems to be a good system. Just another system to look after you. If you call to purchase a system I recommend talking with a tech advisor instead of a sales person. They will be able to direct you better in what system you need and they are not in a hurry to just sell you a system.

2014 FR Salem Hemisphere Lite 366BH
2016 Ram 3500 Dually
MickeyTrain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #25

back up camera

below is the link to the RVS wireless bluetooth camera system i purchased.
cheaper on their site than amazon etc....free freight. they give a coupon etc....
received it and i love the construction and HDness of the product.
also the monitor & camera are independent of any other signal...
so i tested it on the back of my truck to see how it works. was wonderful.
camera takes a 9V battery & the monitor is powered by the cig socket.
the camera is held on with magnets which are VERY strong. in other
words it will not fall off of metal. so I'm all pumped about my new
back up camera and mounted it on the center of my rear RV bumper
as it would not hold on the aluminum body of the RV. duh.....
im backing up and my monitor is freezing & going blue.... (death)
i contacted RVS when we returned and they stated they have had
some problems with aluminum RV's not allowing the signal to
the camera. i really love the product so i agreed to try it again with
a new battery. this past weekend i was able to test it again.
i put the camera on the far left or driver side of the bumper. it never
lost signal, never lagged or froze up. it worked like a champ.
so the final analysis is I'm keeping the set-up as i was able to make
it work.... if i have one complaint, my 58 yr old eyes could use
a little larger monitor screen though it does work well.....
hope this helps.

RVS-83112 | Wireless Hitch Camera | Rear View Safety
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #26

Both Tadi Brothers and Rear View Safety seem to get continuous good reviews, both for value and support.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFolkie View Post
The '14 Silverado LTZ does not have daytime running lights. It has automatic lights. These do not power the trailer's running lights. You have to turn on the headlights manually or wait till it gets dark and the truck turns them on for you for the backup camera to work. I had a '14 Sierra 1500 LTE and now have a '16 2500HD Denail Duramax.

I stumbled onto Amazon one day whern they had the price wrong on the HD Furion and got it for $328. Right now it's $465. So I got the 48 digital model for the price of the 12 analog unit. Sweet. I love it. It gives me a great picture. I use a vent mount made for cell phones to hold the monitor. It is perfect for backing and great for knowing who's behind and next to you. It's money well spent.
If you have a fog-lamp switch, turn it on. The trailer running lights will turn on and activate the camera. At least it works on my 2014 Tahoe.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #28

I had installed an inexpensive, ($65) Peak antifreeze brand, wireless back up camera to our 2012 Dutchman Kodiak hybrid tt. I added a 25 foot extension wire from the camera to the transmitter, which I had located under the propane tank cover. It worked so well that I have added the same brand to my Rockwood mini lite.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #29

I'm not a fan of wireless cameras since I have a longer fiver. Take a look at this camera store. Me and many RV budies have used Tim's products for years with excellent results. He also is more than willing to assist you on choice or install questions. I have a 56-CH.
RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All)
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'm not a fan of wireless cameras since I have a longer fiver. Take a look at this camera store. Me and many RV budies have used Tim's products for years with excellent results. He also is more than willing to assist you on choice or install questions. I have a 56-CH.
RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All)
Agreed. Wired is always going to be superior to wireless for these cameras. My horse trailer has four cameras (rear view, two side view and interior manger view). It's easy to wire them up because ALL the interior panels in the back can easily be removed (held with stainless screws), run the wires then drop out the bottom.

Not so easy with most RVs. I would have gone with wired on my TT. There was absolutely no way that could be done without having ugly wires run everywhere. Starting at the camera location and running a wire down to exit below the trailer would be the best solution, but there are way too many "blocks" (studs, supports, etc) between the outer and inner skin for that. The only way is to run the wire attached to the outside skin. Some may not care but I think the appearance would be just plain ugly. Too bad that FR won't pre-wire the units for future add-ons, accessories and mods.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFolkie View Post

Since 1997 all GM vehicles produced for the US have daytime running lights.

Humteddy2

2014 Silverado LTZ
2016 Surveyor 285IKDS
Humteddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humteddy2 View Post
Since 1997 all GM vehicles produced for the US have daytime running lights.

Humteddy2

2014 Silverado LTZ
2016 Surveyor 285IKDS
X2, plus it has been the law in Canada since 1990
Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Backup Camera

I have been using a 7" screen "PEAK" back up camera for 5 years on two different RV's. Works great. Comes with license plate mounted camera and transmitter. The receiver screen is 7" that I modified a GPS suction cup windshield mount for the Screen. I wired it to the running lights on my 5th
wheel Rockwood. I put the transmitter under the bed in front of the RV up against the front cap. It transmits through the front cap to the screen that is mounted on the windshield. Works fantastic!

They can be purchased for $112.00 on E-bay.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #34

I am sitting on the fence as to which backup/observation camera system to purchase. Have read varying reports from some that the Furrion brand is terrible...others say it is OK. I was advised to go with a TadiBrothers brand and must admit that one seems to have the best reviews. I would like to stay with Furrion IF IT WORKS and IF it is worth the price tag since my Flagstaff 831RESS has been prewired for same. I appreciated speedozeke's input. Anyone else have experiences to share on which type to get?
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #35

I know alot of you are only interested in wireless, but it really isn't that hard to pull in the cable of a wired camera in a fiver. Pop the clearance lights out, then go from the rear center clearance light to the side clearance light then down to one of the tail lights using fish tape. Drill a hole in the bottom of the rear wall below the tail light and run the wire inside towards one side of the belly again using fish tape. Drill a hole in the lower wall of the front compartment and route the wire above the front compartment and out the pin box next to say your breakaway wire. As for the truck ... mount the monitor between the sunvisors if there is room and route the wire above the headliner, down the back of the cab, and underneath the bed to say above the wheel well. Put your truck plug there. It takes the better part of a Saturday, but the install is out of sight and functional.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #36

Observation Camera vs Backup Camera

Just switched out my Furrion Backup Camera for the Observation model on my 2016 Columbus Fifth Wheel. Even though you can leave your backup on while traveling it is not helpful. The signal will freeze and is not reliable at highway speeds. If you check their website it says it is not intended to be used for that application and is for backup only. The observation camera is the only one that works for rearward viewing while towing. I am very satisfied with the Furrion Observation camera.
drknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #37

Has anyone tried those EsiCam systems on Amazon? I realize most of the reviews are from the Vine program but it seemed like a few were legit. More importantly I looked at a few youtube videos of them in actual use and the lag didn't seem too bad and the resolution was decent. I am a little intrigued by a camera I can use in multiple situations and I like that it could be for observation and backing up.

Obviously I am a little skeptical of the brand.

Is 100 degree spread a bit narrow for reversing?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #38

Smile Decision made.

I have decided to purchase the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Backup/Observation camera. I ordered it from Amazon just to save a few bucks. Should be easy to install. I will post a review after I have had a chance to use it in both modes. I might have tried other suggested cameras but I really wanted to mount the unit at the same place as the pre-installed Furrion mount. Call me crazy. Thanks again to everyone that replied to my post. That's what makes this forum so great.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #39

I am close to making that same decision, Probwrm19. I would prefer to have something I could mount in the prewired Furion bracket which came on my trailer from the factory, but the difference in cost and advertised reliability is what I am pondering. Is your understanding that the difference between the two FOS48 models (the TAPK-BL and the other) is just that the TAPK-BL includes everything (the housing, wiring, connectors, camera and monitor)?
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #40
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have a Garmin GPS?....Use their wireless back-up camera and the same monitor you already have...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote