Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #1

RV Camp Charges: Extra Vehicle?

New here to RVing but was wondering:
I see a site charge and then an "Extra Vehicle Charge"
Does this mean I pay for my trailer AND my tow vehicle as well?
Fishfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #2

Welcome to RVing Fishfireguy,

To answer your question no. Your tow vehicle and trailer are one unit. Likewise for those of us that tow a vehicle behind our motorhomes we also do not get charged for the "extra vehicle". Where this charge come in is if you bring your RV to the campground and your friend follows in his car and wants to park it with your rig then you would be hit with an extra vehicle charge. This is the rule of thumb however but from what our friends have told us on their travels to many campgrounds in the Boulder Colorado area that they charge for vehicles towed in behind the motorhome. Can anyone confirm this?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #3

I too am new to camping (at least with me own unit) and I have noticed campgrounds find any means to squease another nickle out of ya. I stayed in Cape Cod this summer, the bath house had pay showers....quarter got you 1 minute!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
I too am new to camping (at least with me own unit) and I have noticed campgrounds find any means to squease another nickle out of ya. I stayed in Cape Cod this summer, the bath house had pay showers....quarter got you 1 minute!
We've stayed at places similar with the coin showers. It saves them in the long run so no one leaves the hot water running. I've been to a campground in PA where the water was running in all three showers and producing a nice steam effect and there was no one there but me. Kids can sometimes be well kids.One place the coins controlled all the water. 25 cents for about a minute, they even had change makers in the restroom. Another place there was no soap or hot water at the sinks to wash your hands. Just cold water and air dryers. I'm sure it helps keep their operating costs down and with the majority of sites being occupied by RVs with full baths they aren't retiring early on their bathroom income. You figure they're heating water whether someone is using it or not.
As for the extra vehicle charge we have never paid for the towing of our car behind the motorhome just extra when one of our daughters arrived later with their car and wanted to keep it on the site. Most places have an overflow lot and it's free if the extra car is left there. I guess it's one of those things that is decided by the campground owners. Nothing is really consistent.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #5

So, I live in Greeley, Colorado and camp around Colorado. Many of the State and County parks that have RV sites charge by the motorized vehicle. So, for example, this weekend camping at Carter lake, I'm only charged for my Denali and not my trailer. However, if I were using a motorhome and towing a car behind, I would have to pay for 2 vehicles. These charges are above and beyond the site fees.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
We've stayed at places similar with the coin showers. It saves them in the long run so no one leaves the hot water running. I've been to a campground in PA where the water was running in all three showers and producing a nice steam effect and there was no one there but me. Kids can sometimes be well kids.One place the coins controlled all the water. 25 cents for about a minute, they even had change makers in the restroom. Another place there was no soap or hot water at the sinks to wash your hands. Just cold water and air dryers. I'm sure it helps keep their operating costs down and with the majority of sites being occupied by RVs with full baths they aren't retiring early on their bathroom income. You figure they're heating water whether someone is using it or not.
As for the extra vehicle charge we have never paid for the towing of our car behind the motorhome just extra when one of our daughters arrived later with their car and wanted to keep it on the site. Most places have an overflow lot and it's free if the extra car is left there. I guess it's one of those things that is decided by the campground owners. Nothing is really consistent.
Hey I hear you on the water usage and abuse but .25 for a minute? Why not 7 minutes for a quarter, I found it humerous but chilly
Old 09-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have a toy-hauler, and we take two motorcycles. The campgrounds I have seen this extra charge for have always said not to worry about the bikes, except one, and I forget which one in North Carolina. I have also seen an extra charge for more than 2 adults, or more than 2 children. Same difference since they figure an extra vehicle is going to mean extra people. You pay your money all the same, put whatever label on it you want to. Personally, I avoid those campgrounds. Camping for us is for fun and adventure, not to be quarter-ed and dollar-ed to death for the sake of having a good time. Doesn't help you much, but it makes me feel better.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #8

So far we've not had to pay the "extra vehicle" charge. Frequently my wife will drive her convertible when we go camping - a lot more fun to tour in than the pickup. I've seen places that will charge, we just choose the ones that don't. Sometimes there is no room at the site for the second vehicle, but there is a separate parking space for extra vehicles. I wonder about those double tows, truck-trailer-boat set ups. (that's legal in Alberta).

One place we did not stop wanted extra for the convertible, and a per dog fee, my wife also brings her three little white dogs. Now if they charged for the dogs by the pound we would be OK. besides one big dog is louder and makes more crap than our three combined. ... but like I said, we just choose other campsites and so far there have always been lots too choose from that don't extra charge.

As for coin showers. Every one we've been to take the dollar coin (Cdn Loonie) and one loonie gives me adequate time to shower, never timed it, but probably 5 minutes, not too much different than 1 min / quarter.

The other popular surcharge is the fire wood fee. It is becoming more common, you need to know where to go if you want to get one with free firewood. When it is free, people burn much more - go figure.

And then there are those who charge for the sani-dump on the way out. That's just nasty. There are enough free sani stations about to make it possible to avoid these chargesl We've never paid to dump yet.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote