Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
RV Camping and CPAP machines

Hey y'all...

Both my husband and I have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea.
Not a big deal... we now each have our own CPAP machines that we take along with us.

My question is... who else out there travels with their CPAP machine and do you have any good suggestions on where do you put the machine for night time sleeping?

We have a Graywolf 19RR with a queen size bed. We figured out where to put my hubby's machine... but not a good place for mine.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great! We really don't want to sleep in separate beds/couches...but if we must.. then I guess we will.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #2

Well to the group of cpap group

I have using mine in my rv for 14 years and it go every where i go. in my last rv i install a outlet connected to a inverter so when we are not in a camp ground i can still use it.my camper i have now i did the same but the hole coach in runs off the inverter. just for your info some of the makers make a power cord that runs off 12 volts. just some thoughts .i put mine next to the bed i have a night stand(if that what they are)next to both side of the bed.
n1joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

I was just looking at a floor plan. Could you sleep so that your head is at the foot of the bed, and then put the CPAP down there (or on some sort of stand so you can turn it on/off easily?

Or how about modify the cabinet above so that one can go there? and the other infront of the bathroom wall.

We have a popup, and since we are not particularly tall, we sleep so our feet are facing into the trailer. (So, no one has to climb over the other). When he started using the CPAP, he put a rubbermaid box at the foot of the bed (in which he stores his cloths) and when he is sleeping, the CPAP goes on top, and then he has an extra long tube. I really like this set up - since it is quieter than at home, because the machine is that much farther away.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Nijon... we would LOVE to have the luxury of a night stand... but alas we do not.

Laura.. we have thought about that... switching head to foot... that may work.. I too thought about the cabinet above as well... but the machine has to be level with your head or a little lower. I do like the way you are thinking!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Nijon... we would LOVE to have the luxury of a night stand... but alas we do not.

Laura.. we have thought about that... switching head to foot... that may work.. I too thought about the cabinet above as well... but the machine has to be level with your head or a little lower. I do like the way you are thinking!
Interesting! I've been on CPAP for about twenty years and have never heard of this. Anyway, you seem to have an open area between the toilet and bathroom sink that might accept a small freestanding shelf of some sort. You also have a 120 volt receptacle in the bathroom. My solution would be a hole through the bathroom wall. Set up both machines in the bathroom, pass the hoses through the hole and then under the mattress to where you want them to surface. You might need to buy an extra length of hose and a connector.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

This is interesting given that I too am tethered to one of those things. It's been an issue with the boat and suspected will also be with a camper. What are you using for a battery bank to support the CPAP and heater for a night n1joh?
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post

Have been hooked to one of the monsters for 20 yrs, but never heard of it having to be level with your head. I've had all 4 of mine a lot higher than my head and also a lot lower and they've all worked just fine. Just got a new Phillips 6 months ago and nothing in the instructions about it. Have a Mirage 8 in the camper and no instructions to that effect with it either. What kind do you have?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #8

Used my old S2 on a shelf with humidifier in the boat, which was considerably higher than my bunk, no issue at all.
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

My RV has night stands on either side of the bed that I use for my CPAP.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

cpap machine

i have a solar system and installed a inventer for dry camping . i just plug my shore cord into a outlet i install in the compartment and i have 120 volt while traveling.
n1joh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #11

Interesting, I have had a CPAP machine for about three years. I usually set the machine on the floor and put the hose over a chair so that it's higher than my head. It's really a pain. I have a ResMed with a head strap that has two soft inserts to my nose. I'm still experimenting.
John
2013 Windjammer 008W
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Never gave it much thought really, I just set it within reach of a plug, put H2O into it & off to lala-land I go. Never thought about being level w/ my head either, neither at home or on the road. Our current trailer it has room on the raised floor of the BR slide w/ an AC outlet in the side wall.

Hope you get it figured out before its time to shake em out for chores in the morning.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #13

Hi Campnqueen

Since you are asking for suggestions, I thought I'd risk asking....

I know you mention you have a C Pap machine, but strongly recommend you seek an orthodontist opinoon to see if you'd be a candidate for wearing a nightime sleep appliance. Have seen positive reports from individuals who tried them after having difficulty with their C Pap machine.

Dont know much more about C Paps....just know about the appliances and their success with many individuals..wouldnt that be nice if it worked for you? Never hurts to ask & most orthodontists offer a free consult, so its just your time and gas to get there.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #14

I have a Cpap and use it nightly. I bought mine a auto that had a 12v cord. unfortunately my TT did not have a 12v plugin so I use the 120. The reason they state to have the machine not higher than your head is one reason. So your machine doesnt blow H2O into your mask. You can adjust this by running your hose up from the CPAP and making a loop so the water can not leak into your mask.
I switched my bed around on my XLR27HFS for 2 reasons 1 being so I could watch the Television from bed but also for the nightstand at the (foot end) of the bed. Harder to get into bed but much more practical. I will be adding a 12v cigarette plug there for stopping for the night while driving so I do not have to start generator. If I am in a place I can not use the generator then I nap in truck and plug CPAP into truck outlet with truck running.
I love my automatic Cpap used to hate my first one but this one adjusts to my level needed.... Do not want to say this but your requirements differ if 100% sober to a few drinks to more than a few and it adjusts. So if you are going to get one push for a auto and pay the extra. For what they wanted me to pay and what I got mine online(with prescription and authorized dealer) it was cheaper for the auto online than the static from where they suggested.

So always travel with your CPAP
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #15

Both my wife and I use a CPAP. I bought the 12v cords for them and put 12v plugs under each side of the bed. The machines set on the floor beside the bed. The issue about keeping the machine below the head relates to using a humidifier and getting "rainout" when the moisture condenses in the hose in a cooler room. We always turn down/off the humidifier when dry camping because that is what uses the most electricity.
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinesman View Post
both my wife and i use a cpap. I bought the 12v cords for them and put 12v plugs under each side of the bed. The machines set on the floor beside the bed. The issue about keeping the machine below the head relates to using a humidifier and getting "rainout" when the moisture condenses in the hose in a cooler room. We always turn down/off the humidifier when dry camping because that is what uses the most electricity.
ed zachary
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #17

I have the same model grey wolf however I am the only Cpap user in my family. I do not take the humidifier along and I put the machine on the top bunk. I seem to have plenty of hose so I would think it would work to place 2 machines up there.
Redx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #18

Curious as to which mask each of have and how you like it. I have the one where two soft inserts go in the nostrils with two straps on the head, one of top and one behind the head. Not overly enthused with it.
John
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Silverado 5.3 with tow package
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
TeresaInCAL

Can you make a fold up shelf to hold the machine?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #20

CPAPs...

I am a Respiratory Therapist that specializes in sleep disorders and sets up CPAPs and Bilevels. As others have said, the reason you keep your machine below head level is exactly as they have said. It is in case you get water buildup in the tubing. If water builds up, you will get a bath! Very uncomfortable. I also use bilevel myself. For camping, most units have an optional 12v adapter, but you shouldn't use the humidifier with it because of the high current draw. Also, many manufacturers have a battery option for use without any outlets. I have a 12v socket with alligator clips that hooks to a deep cycle battery for tent camping when my son goes on Boy Scout trips. As for masks, I recommend ResMed FX series.
They have them in full face, nasal and nasal pillows. If anyone out there has any questions about them, or the machines, please ask.
novaken1 is offline   Reply With Quote