Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

RV Covers

I live in the northeast US and I am thinking about buying a cover for my TT. What are your thoughts on covering or not covering your trailer for the winter. Also looking for recommendations on good covers, if I decide to go that way.
Thanks for the input.
Rob F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #2

mine lasted 3 years was junk after that. Thinking a taller car port would be better and less chance of falling or getting hurt.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #3

A moderator on another forum I belong to who has experience in the RV repair industry is adamant that the only cover that he will use over his own trailer is one that doesn't touch the trailer, i.e. a pole barn type structure as previously suggested. The fabric covers abrade against the exterior of the trailer in any wind, especially at the corners.

UV protection is one of the main reasons given for using a cover, but UV levels in PA are low in winter months so it is less of an issue than TX, AZ, or FL.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Team

I have covered all my TT and the current one looks almost new. No fading of decals or abrasions from cover. I have tried expensive covers and they last a little longer than inexpensive ones but I am OK with 2-4 yrs. Also if you store at your home and are not in an isolated area it is much more neighbor friendly. Ours actually matches the house color. You will find other members who will disagree. That is the beauty of the forum. There are only a few absolutes in the world of RVs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
Kasual Kamper

Rob, as a newbie, I suggest you go to the top of the page, select the Search link and then type "trailer cover" in quotes. This topic is discussed extensively on this forum and you will find lots of advice and recommendations.

I also live in the Northeast and have a cover which I feel is a good investment.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

For what it's worth, we bought a cover when we bought our Cruise Lite. Used it pretty faithfully with no complaints. Then we had a period when the wind ws a bit higher than usual. When we pulled the cover off after that wind period we had a spot on the forward passenger side (windward) of the TT where the paint was rubbed through down to the bare metal (our TT is aluminum sided)

Since then we've put solar on the roof and I haven't used the cover since then...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

Bought a cover once. spent several hundred dollars and sold the next year. Being covered had nothing to do with sale price of unit. I wont buy another cover unless im planning on holding on to a unit forever were the cost of cover might over ride the price of resale
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

I went round and round each year trying to determine if I wanted to invest in a cover or not.

I ended up trying the 303 Aerospace protectant instead. Every winter for the last couple of years I have coated the roof and all the seals (anything rubber and plastic) . It protects against sun, weather, etc. I even use it on my dirtbike to protect the plastics from fading.

Stuff works awesome, and takes about an hour to coat everything. Just about as long as it takes to mess with a cover. Plus, it is like $55 for a gallon of the stuff which has yet to run out with 3-4 applications now.

Just a thought

Tags
cover