Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroguy View Post
Hello RV'ers!

My wife and I are relatively new to this, having had a 2018 Jayco Hummingbird 17RB for less than a year before realizing that it had everything needed to go camping, except space...especially for older adults who really need more creature comforts. We sold it early this Spring.

After looking at other larger floorplans, we are very interested in a Rockwood 2509s, as we have a 1/2-ton F150 and can't tow more than 7400 pounds.

I've contacted two large dealerships for quotes. One (about 2 hours from us) has an automated online quote system, but I had a few questions about options. I've been dealing with a young salesperson now for almost a month (initial contact 03/31). Literally a week or so will go by with no responses, and that only after my "initiating" communications again. Most recent example, she answered all of my questions, but I asked a simple yes or no question: with the coming price increases, will the price I was quoted be "locked in", or will it increase? Another large RV dealership in Michigan says they don't raise prices in that event, but see it as a cost of doing business (i.e. the price they quoted is the price it will be, no matter what). I asked her over a week ago, and just emailed her again to see if she received my email (I know she did!). I'm still waiting to see if I hear back.

Anyway, I contacted the other dealership in Michigan (6 hours away from us). Here they don't have an automated quote system, so I contacted them online with what I was looking for. After not hearing anything for over a week, I made another online quote request (online, but doesn't automatically provide cost numbers) for the same unit. This time a young man texted me and said their computer put me into their inactive section, and to give him a day to get the price. That was early Friday morning. By noon Tuesday, I still haven't heard anything, so I texted him to ask where we were on the quote, still waiting to hear back from him, too.

There is another dealership I called a little over a month ago about this same unit, but he didn't seem interested in selling anything either. I asked if he had the model we were interested in, he said no, they don't carry Rockwood. I waited a moment to see if he might suggest an alternative, or ask me why I wanted that particular model. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, I politely thanked him and hung up.

Soooo...what are my wife and I doing wrong? While we certainly don't want a leisure-suit-wearing/cigar-smoking used car salesman trying to sell us a camper, it would be nice to have a salesperson who acknowledged our existence on planet Earth. We're not asking them to show us around taking lots of their time, or for prices of all kinds of other RV's. Just one...with just 4 standard options...and an "approximate" timeframe we could expect delivery.

I don't want to be cynical, but is this how young salespeople are today? The only other dealership we dealt with at least conversed with us repeatedly (finance lady was our age), but added almost $5k to the price they originally spoke with us about, saying Rockwood sent them a price sheet with higher prices, so they had to increase the price according. After walking away, she called me a week later to see what I would offer, I told them about the same they originally quoted...I haven't heard back from her since.

We are both courteous people (please, thank you, all that) and are genuinely nice people, the life of the party, so to speak. But trying to order and buy a new RV is the only time in our almost 60 years we've had to literally beg salespeople to take our money. And with the high backorder numbers, we'd like to get our order in the lineup so hopefully we might get it in time to take it out at least once or twice, so TIME is critical right now.

We would appreciate your wise feedback and your own recent experiences.
Thanks!
Unfortunately it’s a seller’s marker for rvs. Regardless of the type and model your looking for they are going to ask for the premium price. May I suggest doing research and watch some YouTube channels on the subject. RV manufacturers are low in supply and they’re mix and matching parts to put campers together.
May I suggest, to look for campers made before the pandemic. Once again, YouTube has a wealth of information on buying new campers.
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Warning - Debbie Downer Alert

Another reason for long wait times is delivery to the dealer. If you live near Goshen, IN, just drive by the plants. There are finished RVs stacked up for miles.

You don't put an RV you purchase in a FedEx truck or Mailbox.

They need delivery drivers with commercial driver's licenses (CDL) to drive or tow it from Indiana (or wherever it was built) to the dealer. If you live on the coast, that could a few days, plus expenses.

Transport companies are having a hard time finding CDL drivers to deliver RVs at the price point built into the delivered price. Many dealerships make delivery costs fluid and non-negotiable for that reason.

CDL drivers are at a premium. I just watched a video about upcoming gas shortages due to the fuel delivery companies being short 50,000 drivers. Plenty of fuel, just no way to get it to the retail stations.

Why pay for a super expensive CDL additional hazmat rider when you can get just as much or more delivering groceries and packages for Wal-Mart and Amazon.

It takes 6 months of training to get the hazmat rider. Truck drivers are working around the clock at high wages and finding one willing to work for the wages transportation companies are paying is nearly impossible.

I believe the demand for RVs will start cooling soon as the fuel prices start to rise this summer and the airlines and cruise ships open up again. This is already starting to happen as more countries are opening up to vaccinated tourists.

RVing is supposed to be FUN.

Another reason that I believe new RV sales will cool is the huge dump of used RVs that will hit the market in the fall is when new RV owners discover that it's not as much fun as they were expecting.

Once new owners discover that the crowded and unprepared RV infrastructure (highways under construction, old deteriorating under powered campgrounds, and high fuel prices) can not handle all these new fuel thirsty 50 amp campers, the FUN factor goes into the toilet.

These Covid inspired RV purchases will be hitting the market as other vacation options become available.

This is NOT NEW. It has happened before when gas prices went up. It will happen again when this RV market boom leads inevitably to the RV market bust; sooner rather than later.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #43

I'm not in the market for a new RV, just posting an observation that I believe I have seen previously here recently. We drove by a dealer near Columbus Ohio that we pass at least a few times per year on our way here or there. They typically have somewhere in excess of 75 new units on the lot and another 30 or more that appear to be used or maybe customers being serviced.

Sunday afternoon they had about 6 new units and 15 that appeared to be used or customer RVs. It really jumped out as we went by just how barren their lot was at this point. I would guess with that kind of demand they don't need to work at all to sell any RVs and may have reduced staff as well.
smkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #44

Unfortunately, a lot of the new RV's produced are sitting at the manufacturer waiting on parts so they can be finished. Huge back orders on appliances, furnaces and water heaters. It took 3 months for my dealer to get a replacement 12v refrigerator for my trailer. When it arrived it was damaged in transit, so they had to reorder which took another 3 weeks.

A few other things to note, a fiberglass shortage, so some RV's have reflective bubble wrap instead of insulation, and some higher end ones that normally get a cap on the rear will be solid panel instead. While the caps are cosmetic, the insulation can be problematic because foil bubble is only an R value of about 1 while the 1" fiberglass batting is closer to 4.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #45
RVWholesalers Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Good to see that you are still around and responding to our members.
I sure wish RVW carried a 5th wheel like the Starcraft Telluride 289RKS and I'd be ordering from you.
I wish I did as well, would be honored to have you as a customer. Thank you for the kind words and allowing me on here to respond.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #46

I hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' but you might be better off renting an RV until the fall-out from Covid is over. If you think getting a dealship to communicate with you regarding a new trailer is difficult, try contacting one for repairs. Sad to say, but you can pretty much expect even a new trailer will require some 'fixes'. Then your next hurdle will be finding a campsite. I love camping but it's crazy out there right now!! If you find a reliable dealership, treasure them!! Wishing you good luck and only happy trails!!
gkczuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk341 View Post
Have you looked on rvtrader to see if there are any close to you? I see it is a bunkhouse. If only the 2 of you do you need a bunkhouse?

We decided on a bunkhouse as we intend to occasionally travel with another couple. He's a lifetime boat owner, and recently purchased a Bennington tri-toon boat. They bring the boat, we'll bring the camper. And other friends and family are expected to come along once in awhile, and setting up the dinette as a bed just seems a hassle.
Pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkczuba View Post
I hate to be a 'Debbie Downer' but you might be better off renting an RV until the fall-out from Covid is over. If you think getting a dealship to communicate with you regarding a new trailer is difficult, try contacting one for repairs. Sad to say, but you can pretty much expect even a new trailer will require some 'fixes'. Then your next hurdle will be finding a campsite. I love camping but it's crazy out there right now!! If you find a reliable dealership, treasure them!! Wishing you good luck and only happy trails!!

Our salesperson finally came through. I've heard the horror stories about service, but except for actual warranty work, I usually do all our car, boat, and home repairs, so an RV will be added to my repertoire.
Thanks for the well wishes and advice!
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #49

Sales

Best chance at securing a better deal and getting all of your information you need is to find RV shows and take the time to attend them. If it’s a distance away make it a weekend road trip and enjoy the trip and most likely get a good deal.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlyn View Post
Unfortunately it’s a seller’s marker for rvs. Regardless of the type and model your looking for they are going to ask for the premium price. May I suggest doing research and watch some YouTube channels on the subject. RV manufacturers are low in supply and they’re mix and matching parts to put campers together.
May I suggest, to look for campers made before the pandemic. Once again, YouTube has a wealth of information on buying new campers.

Right you are. I've been watching (and listening) to YouTube channels for weeks now. And about materials, we sure hope we get what is actually promised from Rockwood, and not some kind of "Frankenstein monster" conglomerate of parts!
Thanks!!
Old 05-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #51

THANKS for all the advice and help!

The salesperson has been very helpful lately, and things are on track. Evidently the comments about how crazy the market is, were spot on. I've been waiting on other quotes lately from other dealers, but they are all slow to materialize.
My wife and I usually purchase used (cars, boat, and camper), and this is our first time buying new from a dealership. I see we still have a lot to learn, even after DOZENS of YouTube videos!

I'd like to remove this thread as a dealership was mentioned directly, but is now going to get our business. I'd rather this not remain on these forums, but don't seem to be able to see how to do this.

Thanks for all the insight and help, and if anyone can point me in the right direction to delete this entire thread, that would be great!
Old 05-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
The same is happening in the boat world, we have two fairly close boat dealers by us but couldn't find anything there, as soon as they came in (new and used) they went out the door, all the sales people would tell us is we have to come in on a daily basis, we ended up going 2.5 hrs away to look at several used boats (we were there right at opening time) and found one that was traded in three days before we showed up, it wasn't even on their web page yet or up for sale, they let us put a down payment on it but we had to wait for the paper work to clear the bank from the previous owner, our sales guy said they get calls from the east and west coast (I live in Nebraska) wanting them to hold a boat or several days until they can get there to look at the boat, even with an offer of a deposit the boat dealer is telling them they will not hold the boat, they have a enough local business they are not even worrying about people outside of their local market. I would not have sold the other camper until you had a new camper lined up.

Wow. Things are crazy all over!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #53
Site Team - Lou

Just saw this on my feed; the trucker shortage is worse than I heard.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...g-term-problem

Be careful out there; this could cause local shortages in more than gas and diesel.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Be careful out there; this could cause local shortages in more than gas and diesel.
So what do you think Lou, re-activate my CDL to make some fast money
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #55

HMM I have my Class A. I wonder what they pay now. LOL

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Really though back in 2017 they were saying the trucking industry was short 50,000 drivers and that that number was going to double inside of two years and continue to grow. It's no wonder with what they expect from the drivers. Low pay and almost no benefits at all compared to a lot of jobs. Living in the back of the truck 5 to 20 days out of the month and sometimes more. A shower 3 maybe 4 times in every 7 days. Paying twice the cost for crappy food at truck stops . Nasty bathrooms and showers. Worse thing now days is no place to park for rest and sleep. That's why you see so many off the side of on and off ramps now. They have nowhere else to go.
The companies treat them like total crap and run them as ragged and as far from home as they can keep them in order to keep them out longer than their supposed to. NO the trucking industry wants the government to lax the rules so they can abuse the drivers more and make a larger profit which can be slim to none in some cases due to law suits and insurance cost. The drivers are treated like crap in most cases and then people wonder why there is such a shortage. To top it off they are asked to drive in these stupid cities that continue to have riots and such BS with no protection for themselves either. They have no life and no homes. WELL DUH !! So what will happen next. They will allow foreign drivers on the road to try and make up the shortage and cut labor cost.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post
Me too, WITH the endorsements(though haven't pressed a clutch in nearly 30 years so is the endorsement even good anymore), BUT, it cannot pay what I make now, nor would I want to spend that time away from home and kids.

Heck from what I heard, you don't even need to use a clutch anymore, the truck does all the work for you, and even keeps track of all your hours too. Downside, can't fudge the hours. When it says stop, you stop or your in a violation that you can't hide. NO THANKS.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #58

Common theme is,,,,,large dealer.

First; I’m still butt hurt from what I got at a large online dealer in Ohio on my 2011 Forest River product. That pain never goes away.
Large dealer seems to be the problem here.
Who knew they would actually sell their ‘parts’ camper and deliver it that way.
Anyway; we are starting to see a constant stream of repo campers coming through the auto dealer auction. Many appear to have been maybe camped in once(still have temporary tags). Saw a beautiful 2020 $135,000 Tiffin built fifth wheel sell at $48,000. Others are bringing around half.
Decide what you need and put some feelers out.
And; it’s not just campers. Salespeople won’t talk to you about anything. Try having a building built.
efi460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #59

Realtors either

Quote:
Originally Posted by efi460 View Post
And; it’s not just campers. Salespeople won’t talk to you about anything. Try having a building built.
Realtors either.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #60

I didn’t read the whole thing, but this kind of thing is happening a lot. Especially now with rvs. With so much demand, and so little stock for a lot of these places, it doesn’t surprise me.

Last year when I sold my old trailer and bought the new one it was really easy to get the salespersons attention on the phone, email, in the lot etc. But the pandemic was in full swing and people didn’t want to go out, stuff like that.

As things approach a return to some normal and stock is down and demand still high, these guys just could care less.

One of the biggest dealers In Michigan still had this kind of attitude last year however. But again, stock was down and I wasn’t trading in. But their lack of a follow up cost them a sale. Though I’m not a huge fan of them anyways.

Try Fun n Sun in coopersville or ludington. Small mom and pop type of place and not the closest (at least for me) but they have done a good job of taking care of me so far. I know they have rockwood but the last time I was in ludington (a month ago) they didn’t have much stock but 5th wheels and cottages. Last year they had a ton of Salem and rockwood.

Tags
dealer