Originally Posted by Pyroguy
My wife and I are relatively new to this, having had a 2018 Jayco Hummingbird 17RB for less than a year before realizing that it had everything needed to go camping, except space...especially for older adults who really need more creature comforts. We sold it early this Spring.
After looking at other larger floorplans, we are very interested in a Rockwood 2509s, as we have a 1/2-ton F150 and can't tow more than 7400 pounds.
I've contacted two large dealerships for quotes. One (about 2 hours from us) has an automated online quote system, but I had a few questions about options. I've been dealing with a young salesperson now for almost a month (initial contact 03/31). Literally a week or so will go by with no responses, and that only after my "initiating" communications again. Most recent example, she answered all of my questions, but I asked a simple yes or no question: with the coming price increases, will the price I was quoted be "locked in", or will it increase? Another large RV dealership in Michigan says they don't raise prices in that event, but see it as a cost of doing business (i.e. the price they quoted is the price it will be, no matter what). I asked her over a week ago, and just emailed her again to see if she received my email (I know she did!). I'm still waiting to see if I hear back.
Anyway, I contacted the other dealership in Michigan (6 hours away from us). Here they don't have an automated quote system, so I contacted them online with what I was looking for. After not hearing anything for over a week, I made another online quote request (online, but doesn't automatically provide cost numbers) for the same unit. This time a young man texted me and said their computer put me into their inactive section, and to give him a day to get the price. That was early Friday morning. By noon Tuesday, I still haven't heard anything, so I texted him to ask where we were on the quote, still waiting to hear back from him, too.
There is another dealership I called a little over a month ago about this same unit, but he didn't seem interested in selling anything either. I asked if he had the model we were interested in, he said no, they don't carry Rockwood. I waited a moment to see if he might suggest an alternative, or ask me why I wanted that particular model. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, I politely thanked him and hung up.
Soooo...what are my wife and I doing wrong? While we certainly don't want a leisure-suit-wearing/cigar-smoking used car salesman trying to sell us a camper, it would be nice to have a salesperson who acknowledged our existence on planet Earth. We're not asking them to show us around taking lots of their time, or for prices of all kinds of other RV's. Just one...with just 4 standard options...and an "approximate" timeframe we could expect delivery.
I don't want to be cynical, but is this how young salespeople are today? The only other dealership we dealt with at least conversed with us repeatedly (finance lady was our age), but added almost $5k to the price they originally spoke with us about, saying Rockwood sent them a price sheet with higher prices, so they had to increase the price according. After walking away, she called me a week later to see what I would offer, I told them about the same they originally quoted...I haven't heard back from her since.
We are both courteous people (please, thank you, all that) and are genuinely nice people, the life of the party, so to speak. But trying to order and buy a new RV is the only time in our almost 60 years we've had to literally beg salespeople to take our money. And with the high backorder numbers, we'd like to get our order in the lineup so hopefully we might get it in time to take it out at least once or twice, so TIME is critical right now.
We would appreciate your wise feedback and your own recent experiences.