Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2022, 12:45 AM   #1

RV Experienced Travel Agency

We're considering a 30 day trip to the Great Lakes and back in mid August to mid Sept and just not sure what direction to go/what to see to maximize our trip. I wonder if anyone has used a service like RV Adventure USA to help lay out your itinerary to meet your specific travel needs.

I have used RV Trip Wizard successfully for past trips but there's just a lot of unknowns on this one and I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee for assistance to get it right.

Thanks for your input.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:36 AM   #2

Based on your extensive past experience of travel I would think you are the best resource for planning and knowing what you want to experience. You have months to plan and would not be tied into someone's else's itinerary. I'm sure there is merit to a planning service its done on cruise ships all the time. Just some considerations and JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:04 AM   #3

Everyone is different, but I think planning is half the fun.
Subee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:05 AM   #4

https://www.attractionsofamerica.com/states-map.php

Click on the link above to give you an overview of things to see in the states you plan to visit if you know which ones now. My DW and I are doing a cross-country trip, leaving from Buffalo, NY in May and we have used that website to highlight some attractions in states we will be going through.

The term "The Great Lakes" is very broad in definition. One trip I could suggest is going up the East coast of Wisconsin along Lake Michigan, crossing over in the UP of Michigan, touring the UP, and then working your way down the West coast of Michigan which in my opinion they do New England better than New England. Plan your stops by how many miles you want to drive each day and you can not go wrong with where ever you stop. From there you could drop down to I90 and follow the contours of Lake Erie through Ohio where there would be numerous places to stop, i.e. Cleveland and the Rock & Roll HOF, Cedar Point, and so on. You could continue along 90 through Pennsylvania, stopping in Erie, a great small city, into New York and stopping in Buffalo and Canalside, continue on I 190 to Niagara Falls, and from there NYS Rt. 104 or 18 that follows Lake Ontario and stop off in Rochester, NY and visit the Genessee Brewing company and the Eastman Kodak Museum and learn the history of photography. Follow 104 or drop down again to I90 to I81 in Syracuse and go North to the 1000 Islands Region in Clayton and Alexander Bay and the St. Lawrence Seaway and watch the world of freighters traveling through the locks in Messina, NY on their way to the Atlantic Ocean.

As I said, The Great Lakes is a vast and broad area to visit. Enjoy your trip and good luck in your plans.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:40 AM   #5

What are your interests such as nature, history, wife wants to shop, visit amusement parks or just relaxing? How far do you want to travel, and do you want to go into Canada?

How are you traveling in a motor home pulling a car or are you pulling a trailer with a vehicle? What is your preference on where to stay in RV park/resorts or state parks/forest?

I can name several different small historical places, or several different natural areas to visit and then there are small little towns and places to stay in WI, MI, OH, NY and IL.

If you are over 62, I would make sure that you have your Senior Park pass as this will get you into several areas either free or reduce fees in the great lake's region.

You could spend a total of one month in MI alone and not see everything there is to see! Then you can spend a month in OH and WI not to mention NY all of these states are teaming with great parks and things to see and do.

Tell me what you want to do, and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck
Old 02-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
D W

The problem with a "travel agency" is that they're going to steer you to places where they get the most kick-back from the industry.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #7

Trip

We did a trip at the same time you are planning last year. I also use RV Trip Wizard. You know more what your interests are. If you know where you plan to be, you can activate Points of Interest on Trip Wizard. Some of things we enjoyed were Kayaking around Pained Rocks, Circus Museum in Balaboo, and Door County/Washington Island. We rented mopeds on Washington Island and drove to the museums, swam at School House Beach and had lunch on the other side of the island. We also stayed for a week in Kewneaw Peninsula, very quiet w/ a lot of day trips. We are both in our late 60s.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #8

D W right on.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel