Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Here's a brochure for Pilot/Flying J locations by state including RV lanes, propane, dump stations etc.
They also have a phone app...but this is pretty handy...plus I like to know where they Denny's are!
https://pilotflyingj.com/media/36701...l-guide-16.pdf
Thanks for posting this!
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #42

This is one of the reasons I went with a diesel engine tow vehicle. And the other was to save my marriage, my DW did not like me very will when we towed with a gas engine vehicle.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #43

There is a free smartphone app by Allstays called Big Truck Stops and it lists all the major brand truck stops. Very Handy!!

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #44

I've only used a Flying J's one time to take advantage of the Good Sam discount. The RV lanes were confusing and tight. I landed up going in the wrong way! Good thing is wasn't overly busy, didn't get any universal hello one finger waves! I do look for exits on the interstate that has multiple gas options. My DW has a keen eye and she's always observant for my when assessing which station looks best. As someone else posted, sometimes it's not the getting in that's hard, it's "can I get out" that might stir up the acid reflux! Not being able to back up with a motor home and toad on a dolly does cause for some anxious moments for sure, but knock on wood so far haven't had to un-load the car yet.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #45

Pulling a toad behind our 32' Forester has created a few problems for us also. Almost wiped out a gas pump trying to get out of one station. We have found that even the truck stops are not always workable all the time. Many of them have parallel pumps for the diesel trucks and RVs, but for gas rigs like ours, the pumps are perpendicular to the store. It seems that many of the Chevron stations here on the west coast have parallel pumps, but the exit out on some of them is too tight to make the turn back onto the street. It's always a stressful time for my DW when we need to find gas.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #46

We always refer to "the Next Exit" well before we need gas. The stations which are trailer friendly are marked in red. MOST of those stations are no problem but our first preference is to look for a Flying J !
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Back when I owned a V-10 gas pickup truck I didn’t get the chance to pass up many gas stations when towing my fifth wheel. Finding gas stations on state and county roads can be problematic at times but I never had an issue at the travel plazas along the Interstate highways. I always tried to get a pump at the end and avoided pumps in the middle.

There are a lot of major travel plazas such as TA, Pilot, Loves, Petro, and Flying J. As mentioned previously, most Flying J’s have RV lanes. Back in the day, I used a book called the Next Exit to find plazas but today there are plenty of apps for finding them. I also planned my route and planned my fuel stops along the way when towing.

There were a few times that I didn’t have the option of a travel plaza. When that occurred I would always try to pick exits with more than one station. I loved the exits that had three or more stations available.
Next Exit works well for us. We make notes whenever we stop, positive and negative. We drive a 3010DS towing a Jeep Wrangler so we are careful about the fueling stops that we enter. Also I never allow my fuel to get to 1/4 of a tank so "emergency" fill ups are avoided.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas