Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #1

RV furnace

Our camper is permanently parked at our property. My question is this...we use our camper every other weekend and now with the colder weather coming we will not be winterizing it. Is it ok to leave the furnace, battery, propane on when the camper is not being used? I am having a larger propane tank installed and we will not be using the smaller ones.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling fools View Post
Our camper is permanently parked at our property. My question is this...we use our camper every other weekend and now with the colder weather coming we will not be winterizing it. Is it ok to leave the furnace, battery, propane on when the camper is not being used? I am having a larger propane tank installed and we will not be using the smaller ones.
I did something similar only i was living in my TT while waiting for a house to be built South of Denver one winter.

Had the Propane distributor set a large tank and set me up on "Keep Full". They even sold me a connection hose.

I left furnace on 24/7 while working at the office and when I went out of town I just turned the inside temp down to 55 (lowest on my Thermostat).

As a backup to make sure I didn't have the TT freeze if the furnace went on vacation I also plugged in a couple of electric heaters set for "Freeze Protect" which had them kick on at around 45 degrees. To make sure they didn't overload the electrical system (mine was 30 amp) I set the heaters on the 1,000 watt setting rather than the full 1500 watt one.

Furnace should function as long as it has fuel and the converter is supplying power.

I would disconnect the city water hose and have some water in the tank, along with tank heaters on if so equipped. Everything should be just fine when you arrive for your every other weekend visit. Hook up water, turn up furnace, and enjoy.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate it
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

We something similar to our unit parked at home. I do winterize, which around here is simply emptying out the water heater and blowing the lines with a small air compressor, tanks are also empty. We leave a small heater with the thermostat set for around 60 degrees and the gas furnace set on the lowest setting. I do have the extend-a-stay kit on mine and could hook up a larger tank. However, our MH has an 80# tank and the local propane dealer tops it up when he fills the house tank, it has never run out.

If we decide to go camping it only takes a few minutes to de-winterize and head out. Blowing the lines and dumping the water heater only takes 20 minutes or so when we get back.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #5
Always Learning

Do you have electric? Your furnace will deplete your battery pretty quickly if you're not recharging it.

Tags
furnace