Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

RV Hauling

Hi all. Just looking for a little information. I recently purchased a Columbus 320RS. Making preps to sell my house in San Diego and hit the road full time. I recently retired from the Navy. Was wondering how and what it takes to get into RV Hauling (from manufacturer or whatever to sales lots). Seen a lot of people doing it recently and sounds like something worthwhile for some extra income until I sell my house and hit the road. Tow Vehicle is a 2011 Ram 3500. My current problem I see is that I went to pick up my trailer myself in South Dakota in April and on the way up there, hit a speed trap and was doing 55 in a 45. My first and only ticket, but most of the sites I see say clean record for past 5 - 7 years. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

I read about the RV hauling "business" recently due to the fact that our rig sat in IN for a number of weeks this year due to a backlog of units trying to get to the market. From what I found, they hauling companies need help so bad (up to 3 months behind) that your one ticket will not be too much to keep you from being hired. Remember the RV industry is on a significant upward trend and the number of people with open schedules and a qualifying tow vehicle, and are motivated to drive is not keeping up with demand. Good Luck and thank you for your service!

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Is your ride diesel or gas. You get paid by the mile. Do you have a fifth wheel mounted? Once you end up somewhere you better be good at getting a return trip. The price per mile is pretty good.
Vacationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #4

My buddies dad did this for a few years. He said there's no money in this line of work.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Lots or little things too. Must have rock shield mounted behind rear tires that goes all the way across. Mud flaps wont do. Must be set to tow anything from popup to larger 5th wheels. Fire extinguisher, tools, etc. Just some of what i remember. There are alot of websites under rvtransport.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote