Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

RV Homeless

Per Seattle Times
Seattle, Oregon recently did a one-night count and determined that 1/3 of their homeless population were living in RVs.

The city is facing urgent calls to stem the growth of homelessness and complaints about crime and trash believed to be associated with people living in RVs....

=======
The city had intended to open two "safe lots" for 100RVs, with the city providing security, sanitation, and garbage service...but never got beyond 15 lots. The city was paying $1,750 a month per vehicle, equal to what it costs to rent an apt in the city. One of the problems were that owners were bringing in long RVs, which reduce the number of RVs they could accommodate.

A failed experiment.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

by definition, why would anyone who lives in an RV be considered 'homeless'??
Old 01-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #3

We actually saw some C/G that Looked like that in Northern Cal. we also noticed lots of Drug Help locations close by! Youroo!!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

The term RV is loosely used to encompass everything from a converted school bus to a ratty van with a sleeping bag parked in Walmart.

Our RV's and their RV's are 2 different things.

Homeless people sleep in abandoned cars...I wonder if that is considered an RV as well. Touching just a bit on politics, we in this country need to address that situation (homeless) instead of giving billions to other countries.

I'll let that subject lie.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

"by definition, why would anyone who lives in an RV be considered 'homeless'??"

Well, I suppose from a critical thinking perspective one must start with actually looking up the definition of homeless.

There are many definitions, but the below is one, which I would interpret to include RVers who sold their home and purchased an RV to live in full-time. Of course, RVers don't see it that way, but as always ones self-interest tends to get in the way of thinking it through. RVers will, of course, pick the definition that suits their point of view.And RV is not considered permanent housing. An RV is an unstable or non-permanent situation.

"A homeless person is an individual without permanent housing who may live on the streets; stay in a shelter, mission, single room occupancy facilities, abandoned building or vehicle; or in any other unstable or non-permanent situation. [Section 330 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C., 254b)]"

I didn't start this thread to argue definitions, but as an update to what is happening in some cities that RVers should be aware of...a negative RV trend in some of the populace. In my own city, I have noticed an increase in trash class A's parked in residential and commercial areas...assumably lived in by the homeless.

I don't think people living in those areas focus on RVers in quality or new mh's just traveling through...but...a sensitivity and awareness by the general public keeps increasing.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

My guess is that RV definitions are expanding. A trashed out Class A is probably arguably less a recreational vehicle and more a homeless vehicle, by impression, at least that is my impression. Trailer trash can be expanded to RV or class A trash...to use the historical term.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The term RV is loosely used to encompass everything from a converted school bus to a ratty van with a sleeping bag parked in Walmart.

Our RV's and their RV's are 2 different things.

Homeless people sleep in abandoned cars...I wonder if that is considered an RV as well. Touching just a bit on politics, we in this country need to address that situation (homeless) instead of giving billions to other countries.

I'll let that subject lie.
Sad part is... supposedly 55% of the vets are homeless. Sad. Very sad. On the other hand we are providing housing and help to refugees. All is right in the world.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

I know all is right in my world, and I will be celebrating long past Jan 20th.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Seems to me it is you that picks the definition that suits your point of view. As long as you have sufficient income to pay the lot rent and are in a suitable climate, there is nothing unstable about living in a trailer or motorhome. Full time RVers are not homeless, and many have the financial resources to purchase a sticks and bricks any time they want. For many it is a choice to full time, not a requirement dictated by finances.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 01-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Seems to me it is you that picks the definition that suits your point of view.

So you agree with me: "RVers will, of course, pick the definition that suits their point of view."
Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
One of the problems were that owners were bringing in long RVs, which reduce the number of RVs they could accommodate.
This is one of the long RV's full of homeless people Seattle is complaining about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1484677738441.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	128186  
Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #12

"Full time RVers are not homeless, and many have the financial resources to purchase a sticks and bricks any time they want. For many it is a choice to full time, not a requirement dictated by finances."

You said many, not all, have the financial resources. So are you saying that if they had to sell their home to get into an RV, in other words, that was dictated by their finances, they are homeless?

I don't agree with your attempt to parse it out. It is very simple, an RV doesn't qualify as a permanent stable location - it is a depreciable wasting asset and a lot of them eventually become trashed out.

That said, whatever one wants to do is up to them.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #13

Yesterday I drove by Quartzsite, AZ. Zillions of homeless RV'ers there :-)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
This is one of the long RV's full of homeless people Seattle is complaining about.
I would definitely be homeless(and several other people I know) to be able to make payments on that baby!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #15

You're homeless if you HAVE to live in an RV, because you can't afford housing. There's an epidemic of the new, soft-core homeless.

Lower-income apartments have 6-8 year long waiting lists. Many seniors have low Social Security, especially older, divorced women.

You see them every day, they look just like everyone else. Actually living in an RV for four seasons presents some problems if you have a small budget.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
Yesterday I drove by Quartzsite, AZ. Zillions of homeless RV'ers there :-)
Never been there except to hunt and I flew out and back
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
Seems to me it is you that picks the definition that suits your point of view.

So you agree with me: "RVers will, of course, pick the definition that suits their point of view."

Reading and writing about RVing doesn't make you are RVer. Actually buying one and using it does.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is getting political and has run its course. Site Team is closing this one down.
Closed Thread