Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
Retired Army MSG!

RV Magazine

If this topic has already been posted, I apologize. I have been a long time reader of Trailer Life magazine, and of course if you are a previous subscriber to Trailer Life or Motorhome magazine you know by now that it has been replaced with simply RV magazine. I know there are all kinds of info here on the WWW, however, I have always enjoyed having the printed edition in my hand to read. I would like to know what those of you who subscribe to RV magazine think of the new edition. I have received and read the first two editions and so far I am not impressed. Although trailer life seemed to get thinner and thinner as the months wore on, to me it offered the articles I was interested in and that was RV's, tech tips as well as the times they helped someone who could not get cooperation from dealer or manufacturer. The February issue of RV magazine had articles related to honeymooning in an RV. Well I am a grumpy 60 year, married for 40 years longtime RV'r who does not plan on going on another honeymoon. If this trend keeps up I doubt very seriously I will be continuing my subscription. Just wonder what others think about this mag and whether you agree with me or disagree your opinion is highly respected.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'm not impressed with the on line version. Id rather have a copy in hand to read also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #3

Received my copy couple days ago, not even slightly impressed, none of the article's where of even remote interest to me. DW then looked through it, when she was done flung it in the general direction of the trash can.
The rag appears to be aimed at millennials, wish the rag luck I won't be sighing up.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
Received my copy couple days ago, not even slightly impressed, none of the article's where of even remote interest to me. DW then looked through it, when she was done flung it in the general direction of the trash can.
The rag appears to be aimed at millennials, wish the rag luck I won't be sighing up.
X2...Not impressed I was thinking the same thing after gazing through the first issue the second issue was no better its really no longer a magazine that I look to camping to relate to
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
Campaholic

I’ve been a long time subscriber to Trailerlife magazine, my subscription is coming up for renewal soon. To me there is nothing of interest in the new versions of RVLife so they can consider me as a lost subscriber. As stated by the OP I looked forward to the tech tips, problem resolutions, and even the letters to the editor.
So goodbye RVLife I wish you luck.
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

RV Magazine

Very Unimpressed. There is no Tech section and the articles are useless to me. I don't know who had the idea to make this change but my subscription will be cancelled unless the magazine content is greatly changed!!!!!!
Matheny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:34 AM   #7

Always looked forward to receiving the Trailer Life magazine and hoped that the new RV magazine would continue to give me the information I felt was useful and informative, but it doesn't. The new RV magazine seems to be all fluff and no substance. Am hoping that changes.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #8

Nope, not renewing my Trailer Life subscription after seeing what was in the RV magazine replacement.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #9

I unfortunately don't think this media transition will slow down nor stop until there is a total change over. The wheels of the money machine squeal more loudly. I used to get Pop Up Times. They struggled to stay in print. Each edition got thinner until going to digital, which then died. I greatly prefer hardcopy for the overall experience. Reading with a cup of coffee and sitting by an early morning fire. It's just not the same staring at a screen. I have an easier and faster time locating old articles in hard copy than using a search function. There was even a college study (perhaps Columbia back in the 90s) showing the digital reading comprehension and speed were greatly reduced on screen. Consumer Reports is very thin. Their yearly report is 1/3 of what it once was and they push the digital version very heavily. They have made alot of changes in effort to secure the young, longer term subscribers. Those young'ns are now the ones making the corporate recommendations. Losing us old and faithful probably isn't in the equation.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:49 PM   #10
Newbie- 21 FBRS

I agree with the comments in the thread. Trailer life was the only print magazine I still received. RV life is now more like Better Homes and Gardens for the RV. Nothing valuable or technical. Lots of glossy pictures. Target demographic is people interested in exploring RVs, not those who have them. Issue two had an article on towing. It warned many people may feel stress when backing up a trailer at a campsite for the first time. Now there was a news flash! I decided I would give them 6 issues before cancelling, but honestly it is just more of the same from the Camping World empire. Empty shells.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 21 FBRS
TOW vehicle- 2020 Ram 1500 , 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 rear end, tow package with trailer blind spot.
Max Tow capacity-8379 with full payload
Max payload- 1721
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #11

I had renewed my subscription the prior week only to read "this is the final issue of the magazine. The next I received a request to renew the new magazine.

Little specifics and "10 Perfectly Cozy RVs" is another magazine for the round file.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:15 PM   #12

I'm not familiar with this magazine, but it sounds like the same thing that happened with Popular Mechanics. Articles like "Say Smokey" were replaced with blogs about taking things apart, that didn't touch on how they worked.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:31 PM   #13

Very disappointed with RV magazine, print and online. There is no "how to", no in depth RV reviews. It is basically a big advertisement for products sold at Camping World or Gander.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #14

I agree with the comments already stated. I wondered when we got a new publisher how long it would take before THE CAMPING WORLD CEO would ruin the magazine that we all seem to agree was very good. I have one more year on my Trailer Life Magazine subscription and I doubt if my money will be refunded. Unhappy camper ( 75 years young)
maytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coevers View Post
I agree with the comments in the thread. Trailer life was the only print magazine I still received. RV life is now more like Better Homes and Gardens for the RV. Nothing valuable or technical. Lots of glossy pictures. Target demographic is people interested in exploring RVs, not those who have them. Issue two had an article on towing. It warned many people may feel stress when backing up a trailer at a campsite for the first time. Now there was a news flash! I decided I would give them 6 issues before cancelling, but honestly it is just more of the same from the Camping World empire. Empty shells.
That's funny, because that was exactly my reaction. After reading the 2nd edition, I commented that it's Better Homes & Gardens on the road. I'll probably get flamed for this, but they feminized the entire magazine. I won't be renewing.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
I'm not familiar with this magazine, but it sounds like the same thing that happened with Popular Mechanics. Articles like "Say Smokey" were replaced with blogs about taking things apart, that didn't touch on how they worked.
Oh yes! I miss Smokey
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this, but they feminized the entire magazine. I won't be renewing.
Consider yourself flamed

I am getting in touch with my feminine side

But seriously, not one tech article or review in the contents page. NADA!

I got a weather report for the publishers. "snowflakes"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan FEM RV LIFE.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	247019  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #18

It's true, people do not like change. Especially older folks like us Throw in anything to do with CW and Lemonis and it gets down right nasty.
I have received the new RV Magazine and I really don't share the overall disappointment expressed so far in the thread. I enjoyed parts of the magazine, parts I skipped over just as I did in the magazines it replaced. The RV world and it's participants are changing rapidly and the magazine reflects it. But I did see several tech items, especially in the pro tech tips section, so I just assume some folks missed that in their disgust.
Of course I get it for free as my Dad renewed his subscription for the longest term possible and as he is now in assisted living, I get his mail first
Would I pay for it? Good question. I do enjoy getting a real print magazine instead of online, so probably.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #19
Site Team

Back in the early 2000's I worked for a company that handled the subscriptions for Trailer Life and many other magazines. The company has since been sold multiple times as the entire magazine industry seems to be slowly dying.

In the main foyer of our building they had bookshelves with the current issue of every single magazine that we handled. When fresh issues were brought in the old issues were put in a box and put out for us employees to take and read if we so wished.

I read several issues of Trailer Life but never really found much information that I didn't already know or couldn't easily find elsewhere. Never felt the need to subscribe either.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #20

I have been a subscriber to Trailer for many years as was my dad back in the 70s. I remember when it wasn't paper thin. On the new RV magazine...I don't need to read about craft beer or honeymoons either. I enjoy rv reviews and tech tips along with places to visit. I'm also a member of Escapees RV Club and believe their magazine may have more to offer.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote