Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

RV Movie moment again at the campground

Well I got to observe another RV Movie sanitation station scene again this weekend

I pulled up to the dump station all by myself. A few minutes later another camper pulled up. I had already connected my hose to my trailer, placed my clear elbow in the dump station cap, and attached the only dump station cleanout hose to my black tank flush hose connection.

The other camper pulled out an old hose with no elbow connection for dump station cap. He placed his hose 1-2 inches in/under the cap and pulled his lever. He attempted to hold the hose with his running shoes, but the force of the flow pushed his hose out from under the dump station cap and proceeded to dump his chili dinner from nights long pondered all over the dump station slab. While my wife and I just about lost our cookies from the foul smell, the gentleman just pushed the hose back in the cap with his lovely red running shoes.

He finished his dump within 3-4 minutes and pulled his hose. I noticed he was looking at the dump station cleanout hose attached to my black tank flush. As I noticed his gaze, I shut off the water and began detaching the dump station hose. Without looking I said, “Do you need the dump station hose.”, I turned and I noticed the camper over at the drinking water fill station 10 feet away, shoving the drink water fill hose into his sewer hose rinsing the hose out.

If I had video from my side camera, I would share it with all to see and admire. In the future, I will leave my vehicle running at the dump station to record such wonderful events.

Fortunately, I did not need drinking water. This event also reinforced my belief in not filling my freshwater tank when the drinking water fill station is within 30 feet of the dump station. Gotta love Indiana State parks where the dump station is on the opposite side of the road from the freshwater fill station to prevent this kind of nonsense.

Happy Dumping. Think before you Fill or Drink.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #2

I agree. But if the only freshwater fill is near the dump station, lysol or chlorox disinfecting wipes are a must.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Disgusting. People can't be trusted to do anything right. Yet another reason I hit the fresh water hose or spigot with my spray bottle of dilute bleach before use, whether at fresh fill station or site. I would have no problem calling him out, 'hey buddy, that hose is for drinking water ONLY, not cleaning sewage!' I also would have no problem taking his plate and reporting it to camp office. Although these days everybody quakes in their boots about calling out bad behavior.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #4

Dump stations, boat ramps and a box of chocolates: you never know what you’re going to get.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #5

And they breed, too.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I used to work at an Indiana State Park in high school; you would be amazed at some of the sights you would see. Working the treatment plant and pumping pit toilets after a holiday weekend were the worst.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Disgusting. People can't be trusted to do anything right. Yet another reason I hit the fresh water hose or spigot with my spray bottle of dilute bleach before use, whether at fresh fill station or site. I would have no problem calling him out, 'hey buddy, that hose is for drinking water ONLY, not cleaning sewage!' I also would have no problem taking his plate and reporting it to camp office. Although these days everybody quakes in their boots about calling out bad behavior.
Better yet, snap a few photos or take a video of the perpetrator. I would expect anyone who carelessly dumps would also return any helpful comments with a profanity laced response.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Yet another reason I hit the fresh water hose or spigot with my spray bottle of dilute bleach before use, whether at fresh fill station or site.
So apparently, make sure you're making that solution fresh each time you need it. Apparently while bleach itself has a long shelf-life, bleach + water mixed in a container has an incredibly short shelf-life.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #9

Yes, diluted bleach degrades quickly. Also, contact time is necessary in order for bleach to disinfect. My tactic is simply to turn the water pressure low, and holding the hose pointing up, letting the water flow over the outside of the hose.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
Canadian Member

We use Lysol spray on the water spigot every time when we have a site with a water connection. Lysol says to let it remain wet on the surface for 30 seconds to sanitize so we spray it as one of the first things we do when setting up. I guess we’ll have to do that at the water filling station too.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #11

dumping antics

At a major rally, I witnesses a Class A owner take his sewer hose and hold it over the fresh water spigot to clean it off. Yes it did contact most surfaces of both. First time I ever saw somebody do something as stupid as that.
I now carry a spray bottle of antiseptic spray to clean of the hose bibs.
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintexas View Post
At a major rally, I witnesses a Class A owner take his sewer hose and hold it over the fresh water spigot to clean it off. Yes it did contact most surfaces of both. First time I ever saw somebody do something as stupid as that.

I now carry a spray bottle of antiseptic spray to clean of the hose bibs.
This happens pretty often and then they'll throw the sewer hose on the picnic table to drip dry.

How many sanitize the picnic table? I see dogs, cat crates, sewer hoses and all kinds of stuff on them. The next family pulls in and puts the baby seat on there or makes the kids sit there until fully parked and set up.

Lots if FHU sites get abused too not just dump stations. It's not uncommon to see bits of toilet paper and who knows what else along the sewer side of the site.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
Well I got to observe another RV Movie sanitation station scene again this weekend

I pulled up to the dump station all by myself. A few minutes later another camper pulled up. I had already connected my hose to my trailer, placed my clear elbow in the dump station cap, and attached the only dump station cleanout hose to my black tank flush hose connection.

The other camper pulled out an old hose with no elbow connection for dump station cap. He placed his hose 1-2 inches in/under the cap and pulled his lever. He attempted to hold the hose with his running shoes, but the force of the flow pushed his hose out from under the dump station cap and proceeded to dump his chili dinner from nights long pondered all over the dump station slab. While my wife and I just about lost our cookies from the foul smell, the gentleman just pushed the hose back in the cap with his lovely red running shoes.

He finished his dump within 3-4 minutes and pulled his hose. I noticed he was looking at the dump station cleanout hose attached to my black tank flush. As I noticed his gaze, I shut off the water and began detaching the dump station hose. Without looking I said, “Do you need the dump station hose.”, I turned and I noticed the camper over at the drinking water fill station 10 feet away, shoving the drink water fill hose into his sewer hose rinsing the hose out.

If I had video from my side camera, I would share it with all to see and admire. In the future, I will leave my vehicle running at the dump station to record such wonderful events.

Fortunately, I did not need drinking water. This event also reinforced my belief in not filling my freshwater tank when the drinking water fill station is within 30 feet of the dump station. Gotta love Indiana State parks where the dump station is on the opposite side of the road from the freshwater fill station to prevent this kind of nonsense.

Happy Dumping. Think before you Fill or Drink.
I had a guy pull up beside me one time, it was one of those dump stations where two people could dump side by side. Well this guy didn't even have a dump hose, just lined up the dump valve with the pad a let her rip. Didn't even care that I was standing a few feet away. Talk about sickening.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I had a guy pull up beside me one time, it was one of those dump stations where two people could dump side by side. Well this guy didn't even have a dump hose, just lined up the dump valve with the pad a let her rip. Didn't even care that I was standing a few feet away. Talk about sickening.
Same thing happened to me. The guy right in front of me did the exact same thing.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
So apparently, make sure you're making that solution fresh each time you need it. Apparently while bleach itself has a long shelf-life, bleach + water mixed in a container has an incredibly short shelf-life.

After rinsing off my dump hose and fittings with the water hose at the dump site, I then use straight 91% alcohol in a 32oz spray bottle to sanitize, .... that's an easy way to mist, or soak down everything, ..... alcohol is clean and inexpensive, dries quickly, not corrosive or toxic and certainly sanitizes, alcohol is the main ingredient in all the hand sanitizing products we see nowadays, ..... a great and easy way to kill the bad stuff, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:12 AM   #16
Defender of America

I just have to ask:
- is this a new tendency or something that has been happening forever?
- Is it taboo to "help" said offenders with some "coaching"?
- Does any interaction with the culprit usually become difficult?
- Don't dump stations know this happens and address it proactively?
- Cameras are everywhere, wouldn't you think there's one at the dump station and they already know about it.

Given that the world has gone crazy about the"flu" wouldn't being diligent about keeping raw sewage out of drinking water be a significant priority?
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:09 AM   #17

Quote:
We saw the same thing a couple of years ago at a provincial park. As the gentleman was draining his tanks like that he was standing there drinking a beverage out of a can. One of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I just have to ask:
- is this a new tendency or something that has been happening forever?
- Is it taboo to "help" said offenders with some "coaching"?
- Does any interaction with the culprit usually become difficult?
- Don't dump stations know this happens and address it proactively?
- Cameras are everywhere, wouldn't you think there's one at the dump station and they already know about it.

Given that the world has gone crazy about the"flu" wouldn't being diligent about keeping raw sewage out of drinking water be a significant priority?
I believe the camper I observed last week would not have been coachable. The way he explained it to me, he did not need to flush out his hose more than a quick swishing and sloshing over at the drinking water fill station because it is the end of the season in Michigan and he was not going to be camping any more this year.

Makes perfect sense to me, since he only dumped his holding tank in less than 4-minutes and that was all he needed to do for the winter storage prep.

Want to ponder more about the chili he storing in his rig for next season.

Nick Danger, if you want to offer your phone number or email address, I will share it with the next camper I see doing a similar thing.

Just writing about the whole affair makes me nauseous.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
There are some dump stations that are designed where using the hose is optional. I was skeptical at first, but it really is much faster. Some even had signs saying so, and to please use the nearby hose to rinse the pad/trap when done. No need to drag out the sewer hose, rinse it, and put away when the station is busy.
But of course, they also need to have a sign that this a dump station, not a clean out station where you can rinse repeatably and hook up your black flush when there is a line behind you
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander49 View Post
We saw the same thing a couple of years ago at a provincial park. As the gentleman was draining his tanks like that he was standing there drinking a beverage out of a can. One of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen.
We just finished cleaning out the stock trailers and pens used for the kids FFA/4H show pigs (that are now at the butchers). Do that a few times and RV sewage is nothing
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg