Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

RV Neighbors From Hell

If you travel with an RV long enough you'll have a RV neighbor from hell. One of those neighbors is next to me right now. Here's a few things they do
1. Leave their howling dog in their RV while they leave the campgrounds for hours.
2.Play their music so loudly the entire campground can hear it. They start in the morning and may quiet it down after quiet time, maybe they won't.
3. They talk loudly. That could be a result of a hearing loss from years of playing music loudly or it's just an obnoxious habit.
4. They party until late at night.
5. Alcohol is involved.
6. They have loud and obnoxious kids or grandkids with them.

Thankfully the campground we are at has rules about leaving dogs in the RV and strictly inforces a 10pm quiet time but these folks were so lound in their RVi had to blast the volume on a movie I rented just to hear my own TV. Moving away isn't an option if the nose they make can be heard a long distance away. In this situation my wife and I stayed away from the campground for a few hours every day, One day I got so fed up I blasted my own music outside to drown out theirs. After a while they lowered their volume so I lowered mine, but the next day it was loud again. I go camping to enjoy peace and quiet in nature. The last thing I want to hear is music blaring all day and all night long.
Thoughts on dealing with RV neighbors from hell would be greatly appreciated.
RickRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Always Learning

It sucks, but why not switch sites?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #3

Yes, we have all experienced the proverbial "neighbors from hell". I suggest that you do not confront them yourself, this most likely will result in more loud noise, louder talking and perhaps more late night disruption to you peace and quiet.
The ONLY way to deal with this nasty situation is to have a private talk with the campground owners/ management. Tell them you want to remain anonymous. They, after all, have the authority to control the campground environment and since they set the rules, they are responsible for enforcing them. If they refuse to take responsibility, you can aways demand your $$ back and find another campground! I wouldn't put up with this for 1 more minute!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

I would speak to them first and ask for them to turn the volume down on the music. Also could they please keep their dogs from barking all day long. If this does not work; I would than discuss this with the camp ground management asking for their help. Or would they relocate you to another site farther away.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #5

Two reasons:
1. We leave tomorrow and it's not worth the time and effort to move
2. The noise they make can be heard for long distances away.
I've been to sites where there is no one to enforce rules, like quite time ao loud parties go on past night-night. At on site I remember honking my horn and flashing my headlights because the party was so loud and it was after midnight. Since no one was around to enforce rules I never called there again.

I don't need a solution for this situation because the campground staff enforce rules and thankfully my neighbors are packing up to leave today so I'll have a last night here tonight. I'm looking for any susucce ways to deal with neighbors from hell. RV manufacturers have helped these folks as many RV's now come equipped with loud outdoor music systems. I was sorry to see my own trailer has outdoor speakers. I don't go camping to hear other people playing loud music all day long.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It sucks, but why not switch sites?
So, just let them "cousin Eddy it" rather than stopping the rude behaviour, by; calling the park police (if a gov't camp site), go to the front office and get the owner involved.

I don't understand the stick your head in the sand, or let cousin Eddy keep up the rude behaviour. Then, the very site you vacated in your suggestion, gets unknowingly put on the next camper who sets up there. Why would you do that to some other camper. Doesn't make sense to me.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

I've found talking to people who consume lots of alcohol and believe they have the right to listen to music as loud as they like really don't care whether anyone else is bothered by their behavior. In this situation the campground staff did what they could and it helped. They were required to take their dog with them whenever they left the site and 10 pm quite was strictly enforced. Maybe I need to limit my RV camping to placed that have staff to enforce rules.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Always Learning

RV Neighbors From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
So, just let them "cousin Eddy it" rather than stopping the rude behaviour, by; calling the park police (if a gov't camp site), go to the front office and get the owner involved.

I don't understand the stick your head in the sand, or let cousin Eddy keep up the rude behaviour. Then, the very site you vacated in your suggestion, gets unknowingly put on the next camper who sets up there. Why would you do that to some other camper. Doesn't make sense to me.

Based on the OP, I got the feeling that it already had been done. I read it differently than you, I guess.

For the OP and your follow-up, involve management and/or move on are your only realistic options. I agree that talking to most folks about poor behavior is a fool's errand- especially if alcohol is involved.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #9

RV Neighbors

We were next to them once. They left their dogs (2) tied to the outside of the RV. and there was dog poop everywhere. Their kids propped up their bicycles against our RV. They took over the place. Eventually the campground made them leave, thank goodness!
bonzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRed52 View Post
If you travel with an RV long enough you'll have a RV neighbor from hell.

3. They talk loudly. That could be a result of a hearing loss from years of playing music loudly or it's just an obnoxious habit.
4. They party until late at night.
5. Alcohol is involved.
6. They have loud and obnoxious kids or grandkids with them.

Thoughts on dealing with RV neighbors from hell would be greatly appreciated.
I have encountered some like those mentioned. The thing I really hate is when they walk through your site. I'm not talking about the edge. Between your door and picnic table under your awning. We've had it where the parents drank all night and slept all day. Ended up feeding their kids breakfast and let them hang out with us. I didn't mind because I figured there may be hope for change with the little ones.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
ARLO

if it's a campground that you frequent quite often you may have some clout with the owner . If it isn't wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning and crank your speakers up a lot.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #12

I was hoping others would share their own experiences with neighbors from hell. The above thread is what these folks do. They have no boundaries. Their barking dogs, screaming kid's or your property or peace is of no concern to them. They do take over and have zero concern or respect for their neighbors. Calling it a fools errand to reason with these folks is accurate especially if alcohol is involved
Old 08-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #13

One of the staff suggested I loudly play classical music which is hated by so many people. He thought that might encourage jerks to lower their volume. On a site without staff I may try that.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

I would get the owner of the park involved for sure, assuming it is a private park.

In additional, I would get up at 5:30 am and make enough noise on their side of your trailer it would wake them up, but, not other campers. Rustling pots and pans can be irritating or splinting firewood, blowing up an air mattress with a small compressor etc.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #15

When this happened to my daughter and her husband he went to the offending campsite with his beer in his hand and stood there digging the music. They wanted to know what he was doing. He said "Your music was so loud I thought I would join the party". They got the message and turned it down from then on.

I error on the side of chicken and would have gone to the camp management. If that did not work I would move to another campground and not go back.

I don't play music, have dogs barking or children in other people's sites. I expect the same respect. If no one keeps them in check then I would leave.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #16

Join them. (joking)

When this happened to my daughter and her husband he went to the offending campsite with his beer in his hand and stood there digging the music. They wanted to know what he was doing. He said "Your music was so loud I thought I would join the party". They got the message and turned it down from then on.

I error on the side of chicken and would have gone to the camp management. If that did not work I would move to another campground and not go back.

I don't play music, have dogs barking or children in other people's sites. I expect the same respect. If no one keeps them in check then I would leave.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #17

Hi,

As much as I have been tempted to do so under these conditions, I've resisted the temptation to crank up my own music early in the morning and fire up and gun my diesel a little. The reason is that my loud noises would disturb all the others around me -- not just the misbehaving ones.

I've used camp managers as the logical resource in a situation like that. It worked pretty much OK, but there always is some tension associated with reporting someone else like that, particularly if alcohol is involved.

As an aside, we were out this past week in a state park campground in Wisconsin, and it was patrolled by local police and ranger vehicles on an irregular basis. I remarked to one of the friends with us, how much I liked seeing the occasional LE vehicle float through, because it put potentially rowdy folks on notice that the campground was on the police radar screen.
FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #18

Loud campers

I have experienced this at the local Nascar campground during race weekend. It seems if you don't get drunk , play really loud music, and spread your camp into neighboring camper's areas you aren't having enough fun. We are season ticket holders and camped recently: the open fire burn ban was totally ignored, cans of gas were everywhere for generators, the quiet time was a joke, and we had neighbor's items literally under our canopy. The DW and I love Nascar, but will not camp at Texas Motor Speedway again. If,no, When there is a fire in that campground it will be devastating as there is no way to get your TV or trailer loaded up and out of the way because they are parked in every direction and so close together. With all sorts of fuel sitting about you will need to run for safety; driving is not an option. Thankfully we live close enough to just drive out each race day and avoid the avoidable disaster that will happen on day.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #19

My teddy bear, Biker lookin spouse, normally has no trouble with such people. He looks very intimidating but is usually a gentleman... just a quiet talk remedies most problems.
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRed52 View Post
One of the staff suggested I loudly play classical music which is hated by so many people. He thought that might encourage jerks to lower their volume. On a site without staff I may try that.
They play classical music at malls because it drives away the unwanted teenagers.