Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

RV park recommendations for South Texas

We would like to spend some time in the McAllen TX area this winter but don’t know the area. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Steve & Jan

2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Dually
2011 356RL Sierra
sattesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Here is a list of Good Sam parks: https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...ting2perfect=0

We were there a few years back, and I think we stayed at Tip O Texas, but I'm not positive. LOTS of really nice RV parks there.
Just curious, but why McAllen TX? Family, weather, Mexico? There are a LOT of winter Texans there due to the weather and low cost. If you are a birder, it's perfect. We found it to be a nice town, but probably wouldn't go back unless we a specific reason.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Friend of mine has been staying at Paradise Park at McAllen, TX for the past several years and thy like it. They are there now. Later RJ
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Here is a list of Good Sam parks: https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-...ting2perfect=0

We were there a few years back, and I think we stayed at Tip O Texas, but I'm not positive. LOTS of really nice RV parks there.
Just curious, but why McAllen TX? Family, weather, Mexico? There are a LOT of winter Texans there due to the weather and low cost. If you are a birder, it's perfect. We found it to be a nice town, but probably wouldn't go back unless we a specific reason.

Doesn’t have to be McAllen. We just want a winter break with warm weather. We are open to suggestions. Just haven’t been that far South in Texas.

Steve & Jan

2011 356RL Sierra
Old 12-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattesc View Post
Doesn’t have to be McAllen. We just want a winter break with warm weather. We are open to suggestions. Just haven’t been that far South in Texas.

Sounds to me like you are looking for anything in the Lower Rio Grande Valley which is anywhere from McAllen to Brownsville. There are a lot of nice parks along there. My first suggestion is to look for one that is not too close to I2, that road is elevated most of the way and it is noisy with traffic which bothered me quite a bit. We stayed at Alamo Rec Veh park a few years ago as they were the first place we found with an available site, it is an older park but is still pretty good. There are a lot of newer places that are probably really nice, we didn’t get a look at any of them though so can’t give a real recommendation. The other thing you will need to find is one that has an opening, trying to get a spot for the remainder of this winter is going to be pretty difficult. Use RV Parky or a similar app or web site, look for the amenities you prefer and start making phone calls.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Friend of mine has been staying at Paradise Park at McAllen, TX for the past several years and thy like it. They are there now. Later RJ

Thanks much!

Steve & Jan

2011 356RL Sierra
Old 12-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Sounds to me like you are looking for anything in the Lower Rio Grande Valley which is anywhere from McAllen to Brownsville. There are a lot of nice parks along there. My first suggestion is to look for one that is not too close to I2, that road is elevated most of the way and it is noisy with traffic which bothered me quite a bit. We stayed at Alamo Rec Veh park a few years ago as they were the first place we found with an available site, it is an older park but is still pretty good. There are a lot of newer places that are probably really nice, we didn’t get a look at any of them though so can’t give a real recommendation. The other thing you will need to find is one that has an opening, trying to get a spot for the remainder of this winter is going to be pretty difficult. Use RV Parky or a similar app or web site, look for the amenities you prefer and start making phone calls.

Thanks for the information. We will just call and see.

Steve & Jan

2011 356RL Sierra
Old 12-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Retired

We stayed in Mission Bell RV Resort, Mission, TX last winter and loved it.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #9

Have you thought about Jamaica Beach in Galveston? We are going there Jan 1st
Tried for Corpus Christi because farther south it is warmer but no vacancies.
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
kak

My parents wintered in San Benito TX for 17 yrs at Fun N Sun RV Park. San Benito is close to McAllen and Brownsville and about 30 miles from South Padre Island. Nice area. Enjoy your winter.
kak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

Seminole Canyon

a trek from McAllen, maybe 9 hours, but it is gorgeous. Dry camping near some of the most beautiful cave paintings ever seen. A true spiritual site. My wife and I stayed there 3 night last year. Rich
radatat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #12

There a LOTS of great places to stay in the 'Valley'; where you stay depends on what you like. We just spent 5 weeks at Country Sunshine park in Veslaco (heated pool, hot tub, pickleball, shuffle board, horse shoes, shows, etc, etc, etc; but most parks have these; also it's a Passport park). It's 10 min from Progresso Mexico too (you can have great dental work done 'dirt' cheep).
I suggest you check out:
https://www.wintertexantimes.com/ for what's going on.
We are now it Rockport-Fulton (TX), our regular winter home. Been coming here for 9 years.
Come to south Texas, you'll love it!
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #13

I live in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley) and there are a lot of RV parks. If you like fast paced then McAllen/Mission is best. If you like a slower pace then areas around Harlingen/San Benito is better. I have not stayed in any of the RV parks because we live in a stick and bricks house. So I am not really helpful in that regard.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
Have you thought about Jamaica Beach in Galveston? We are going there Jan 1st
Tried for Corpus Christi because farther south it is warmer but no vacancies.
Hey Dennis
If you want something near Corpus Christi, we are at Rob & Bessie Welder RV Park near Sinton, TX about 25 miles northeast of Corpus Christi. There are quite a few sites open. Right next to a golf course if you are into that. $425 a month electric included.
MCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #15

Many good winter Texan Campgrounds in 'The Valley' along Highway 2 from McAllen, to Donna, to Weslaco, to LaFeria. My in-laws were Winter Texans for many years and stayed in the LaFeria area at a gated and walled campground. Easy to go over the border at Progreso for day trips. Have a PassPort and I would suggest not to drive over the border (large parking lot on U.S. side) but to walk over and back. Be aware of all laws.... walking out of the country is easy.... but sometimes getting back in.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #16

In 2013, DW & I were planning our first trip to the Rio Grande Valley as Winter Texans and flew there to search for an RV park. We didn't want to select one from a web site. Spent a week there driving around and interviewing RV Park managers. We finally arrived at Bentsen Palm Village RV Resort and within minutes, knew that this was where we wanted to be. It has a unique design; it is in farm country, 6 miles from commerce; has a first class wood shop (with classes); a clubhouse with Wednesday night margaritas for $2 ; but most of all the reason we continually go there is the people! We have made some very strong friendships with people from all over the country.

Take a look at their website and you'll get a drone's eye view of the RV park and the adjacent, more permanent housing area called Retama Village.

RV parks are like shoes- it's gotta be the right fit! Best of luck in your search

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #17

Victoria Palms Resort ,Donna,Texas Youroo!!
Old 12-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #18

We stay at Lazy Palms Ranch RV park which is about 16 miles north of Edinburg and west about 2 miles. It is out in the country and is real quiet. Closest park is over on 281. Plenty of activities for you, including remodeled pool an hot tub and the regular indoor stuff in the big rec hall every week like bingo, card and board games, live entertainment every week, separate room with pool tables, pot lucks, and chef made meals three times per week.

Last winter was our first and we are going back after Christmas and bringing other folks with us. Very friendly park and huge sites with very good monthly rates, including electicity.

Yes it's out a ways but still close to Edinburg and McAllen for all you shopping and grocery needs and one hour by car to Nueva Progresso, Tamps, Mexico. Check out the website.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #19

South Texas RV

Hi,

If you don't mind being a bit north of there I suggest you look into Wilderness Lakes in Mathis. We spent 2 winters there and can't wait to be free to go back again. A quiet park at the southern end of lake Corpus Christi, mostly adult winter Texans or full timers. We based there and took day trips to Mexico, Laredo, San Antonio, Padre Island (N & S) Kingsville, Corpus Christi etc. If you don't mind day long road trips it's a great spot to get out and explore. Mathis is a small town and doesn't offer much, but you're less than 25 miles from Alice or Beeville- both have super Walmart's.
Happy Travels
BADinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #20

Isla Blanca Park - Cameron County
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote