Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

RV Parking restrictions

The Town of Danvers is in the process of enacting rv parking restrictions. The effort is being spearheaded by my next door neighbor. The current proposals under consideration would prohibit the parking of my new Cardinal fifht wheel on my driveway or in my back yard due to side setbacks.

I was looking for any advice on how to proceed, advice on my rights, and any resources that may be available to me to defend my ability to be an rv'er.

Thanks for any and all input as I am very very concerned about this.
Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #2

I would think it has to come to a public meeting to become legal

Maybe start a petition against the rv restriction

contact the town and see what they suggest on your legal right on fighting it

If you can get a copy of the Ordnances that petain to rv's they have now and look thru to see if there is anything that can counter the restriction -

here is a true example - the city had an ordnance that said no junk / wrecked vehicles can be left on the drive way for more then a week. the neighbor called and turned him in so code enforcement ticketed my father (two months later mind you), my father went down to the city and got a copy of the ordnance - the loop hole was it could be covered (no specific covering just covered) so my father got clear plastic and covered it completely and they couldnt do anything about it - it looked so hidius he left it there for 2 years and drove the neighbor that turned him in nuts - a year later the ordnance was changed to a fitted car cover - didnt matter to my father cause he had gotten rid of the wrecked van.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know if I can help, but I would be looking around. How many in the neighborhood have a storage shed of some type? How many cars are in yards without a current license plate? How many tractors and lawnmowers are parked outside, maybe covered by a tarp, maybe not? How many cars park on the street at night, because there is no more room in the driveway? Just start being very observant, and take a lot of pictures around the neighborhood. Don
t know if you have a beef with your neighbor or not, but in case you do, start loading your gun, unless you are willing to go sit and talk about it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #4

Check your subdivision CCnR's and at least petition for a grandfather clause as long as you live there.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
They passed that ordnance in our town here in NY (Rochester area) we were fighting tooth and nail (petition and grandfathering)and still lost. Hell, they even limit the number of cars in the driveway to 3. I guess they helped all the storage places in the area. Funny, they are popping up all over town.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #6

I think I read that the Good Sam club has a special group that helps fight those ordinances. If you are a member, I'd check them out. If they can help, and you're not a member, it would be a good idea to join. It's not expensive and having a large organization behind you, can't hurt.

or load up your guns.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #7

I'm one of those who has there TT at City Mini Storage in Canandaigua. I have it because don't have room in my driveway. It works out good for us seeing as I work right down the road from it but I know what eveyone means. Its sad when you can't even live on your own property. Someone always starts something and everyone suffers. I see nothing wrong with parking an RV at your home. Good luck Flintstones on fighting city hall.
Live 4 Camping

Nites Camped 2011 - 10
riwdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #8

I definitely understand your predicament; but on the other hand you shouldn't make the neighbors too upset, because "unexplained things" can happen to your camper when you go to use it.....I would be thinking about that every time I went to use it, and that would make me a nervous wreck!! (my opinion) and no, I don't even have a clue where Danvers is, but Florida subdivisions have enacted many of these type ordinances, some as ridiculous as you MUST store your vehicles out of sight at all times in your 2 car garage, and you may only have 2 cars, or you face fines from the homeowner's association. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I definitely understand your predicament; but on the other hand you shouldn't make the neighbors too upset, because "unexplained things" can happen to your camper when you go to use it.....I would be thinking about that every time I went to use it, and that would make me a nervous wreck!! (my opinion) and no, I don't even have a clue where Danvers is, but Florida subdivisions have enacted many of these type ordinances, some as ridiculous as you MUST store your vehicles out of sight at all times in your 2 car garage, and you may only have 2 cars, or you face fines from the homeowner's association. Randy

Thank the good lord I live wayyyyy out in the country.

Al
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by almckinney View Post
thank the good lord i live wayyyyy out in the country.

Al
amen!!!!
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

As a former city planner I can tell you somebody talked to a council member or city manager to get this on the radar. I encoyrage you to make an appointment with one or all the elected officials. Often these matters go before the planning and zoning boards for recommendation before they go to counsil for a vote. Find out your process and meet with those who make these decisions. Come armed with pics and so forth and at the very least if you think you are going to lose, suggest ways to allow you time to load and unload your RV at your home. I have seen subdivision regs give folks a 4 or 5 day window before and after trips and so forth. A letter is not going to get it here, meetings might and if you can hire a land use attorney bring him or her too. Good luck with fighting this soft tyranny......
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstones View Post
The Town of Danvers is in the process of enacting rv parking restrictions. The effort is being spearheaded by my next door neighbor. The current proposals under consideration would prohibit the parking of my new Cardinal fifht wheel on my driveway or in my back yard due to side setbacks.

I was looking for any advice on how to proceed, advice on my rights, and any resources that may be available to me to defend my ability to be an rv'er.

Thanks for any and all input as I am very very concerned about this.

Im in Canada so I can't offer any advice.....but I did want to say that annoying neighbors are THE WORST!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote