Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #21

In a sellers market, know that some dealers would prefer to retain the unit on the lot rather than sell it for less........since they believe tomorrow it will sell for the higher price.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I think most will tell you at least 30% new MSRP. I got 35+ off at RV Wholesalers.
X2, I got 34% off MSRP at Avalon RV Center. Do not trade, sell it outright to get more for it.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
Sold mine on Craigslist. Went fast but got lucky I guess, however I bought it right and I priced it right. I realized that with a one year old trailer I would need to be under the lowest new price I could find. I took about a 5,000 dollar loss for one year but I bought new. Compared to getting 18.5 from the dealer I think selling for 29,500 was a plus.

Two thousand apart isn't that far, they may be wanting you to split the difference etc. They do make money financing, no doubt about that. RV wholesalers for example gives extra thousands to finance with them...basically they pass that kickback on to customer. You agree to keep it at least a year which makes sure RV Wholesalers doesn't have to repay your loan bonus so it makes sense.

I'd let them know you are all in and ready to make the deal if you are. They love to hear "id sign today if".....if they can't do it ask them to let you know so you can move on and shop elsewhere. Many times they would actually rather make no money or even a minor loss depending on unit just to keep the sale.

Just out of curiosity what unit were you selling? MFG, Model, Year? I am hoping to post mine on CL and sell it on my own as well
Old 02-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #24

Our dealer gave us NADA trade value on our 2015 Coachman 248RBS when we traded for our 2015 Windsport 27K. Their price on the Windsport price was $3000 below NADA LOW price. You can look up NADA price online. I don't know how to lookup trade in though.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #25

Forest River Wildcat 327 ck fiver MSRP $67,300 paid $49,300.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Forest River Wildcat 327 ck fiver MSRP $67,300 paid $49,300.

But when you have a trade it is a whole different ball game
Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #27

Yes it is, my experience has not been good.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Yes it is, my experience has not been good.

HoNestly these dealers are out of their mind. They offer me 55% below what I paid for my unit 20 months ago and then they don't budge on their unit, this industry is worse then the boating industry and no wonder why most are a bunch of scam artist once they sell you a unit there is no loyalty.

Trying to sell mine on my own and honestly not sure I am going to buy another if they lose value this fast and there is no support after you buy one. A 12 month warranty means nothing if you can't get it repaired and none of the dealers want to service something they didn't sell even though mfg is giving them $ for warranty work.

Sad industry and I wonder how long some of these dealers and MFG's will last, been sort of an up and down industry. It might be headed way of the boat industry, not many of them left and to be honest would never buy another Boat again.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #29

Most of the complaints are really about not being happy discovering the reality of ownership of a money hole land yacht.

The most astute buyers buy used from private individuals, do as much of their own work as possible, keep their units for a long time, and buy for cash.

The rest basically support the mfgs, dealers, salespeople, banks,and service technicians. Without you they would be out of business and the more astute buyers would have trouble finding replacement units.

You are wonderful, appreciated, and loved by the industry and the astute members. You have money/credit to burn, otherwise you would not be buying new (with some exceptions), fighting for warranty support, trading in your units for more new units, and not taking the time to learn what is going on before buying.

Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
they are stuck on their $399.99 dealer fee which is just another BS fee for them to make money on?
When looking for ours last year, one dealer had a great price on the rig but had all the extra fees, another had a higher price on the trailer but fewer fees. I quickly started demanding out the door prices. That was all that really mattered in the end. As it ended up, we went with the dealer who had the best price and in addition had an outstanding reputation with buyers. Small guy that has been around for a long while. Just hope he doesn't sell out to CW!

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
When looking for ours last year, one dealer had a great price on the rig but had all the extra fees, another had a higher price on the trailer but fewer fees. I quickly started demanding out the door prices. That was all that really mattered in the end. As it ended up, we went with the dealer who had the best price and in addition had an outstanding reputation with buyers. Small guy that has been around for a long while. Just hope he doesn't sell out to CW!

Yeah I am a cash buyer but that doesn't matter they all low ball on the trade so now we are selling ours first this way it gives us the right to be picky, and want a lower price, will go through all the dealers and buy Used not buying new ever again did it once and worst mistake. My wife and I will clean and disinfect the unit, I will do all the work on it and do it right, keep it a long time and put options in it that matter to us like Auto Leveling, better fans, nice mattress, and fix what we want the way we want to. Ugh they are so frustrating to deal with and buying new gets you really nothing, so sorry I did it with this unit.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Yeah I am a cash buyer but that doesn't matter they all low ball on the trade so now we are selling ours first this way it gives us the right to be picky, and want a lower price, will go through all the dealers and buy Used not buying new ever again did it once and worst mistake. My wife and I will clean and disinfect the unit, I will do all the work on it and do it right, keep it a long time and put options in it that matter to us like Auto Leveling, better fans, nice mattress, and fix what we want the way we want to. Ugh they are so frustrating to deal with and buying new gets you really nothing, so sorry I did it with this unit.
It's funny how two seemingly very logical and educated individuals can come to exactly the opposite conclusion, isn't it? As for me, I doubt I'll ever buy used again. My reasons include: 1. It takes too much time. I'm picky, want one that's taken care of, and clean. This means I get to look at 100's before I find that one gem sitting out there. 2. I feel like I'm always compromising with used. It won't have some things I want or will be loaded with things I don't want. With new I can get exactly what I want. 3. I don't want something more than a few years old. And in my market, I can buy new from RVW for almost the same money as these sell for. I'm not a cash buyer, either. I have young children and I want to experience camping with them. Saving up for a decent camper would mean losing years of valuable time with them. I'll fork over the 5% interest and consider it the best investment of my life. And with used, the terms shorten and the rates increase resulting in a higher payment than on the new rig. Plus I have a higher likelihood of encountering a major expense such as an A/C or fridge replacement- especially if I go with a 5+ year old rig to save some money. So, to me, the only benefit at all with buying used is that I can have it paid off sooner. I don't plan to keep one that long anyway, so that's a moot point for me. And I get good enough deals buying from RVW (and take good care of my rigs- no pets, no smoking, kept undercover) that my depreciation over 3 years is typically less than the cost of replacing 1 refer on an older used rig, so it's pretty much all a win to me going new.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's funny how two seemingly very logical and educated individuals can come to exactly the opposite conclusion, isn't it? As for me, I doubt I'll ever buy used again. My reasons include: 1. It takes too much time. I'm picky, want one that's taken care of, and clean. This means I get to look at 100's before I find that one gem sitting out there. 2. I feel like I'm always compromising with used. It won't have some things I want or will be loaded with things I don't want. With new I can get exactly what I want. 3. I don't want something more than a few years old. And in my market, I can buy new from RVW for almost the same money as these sell for. I'm not a cash buyer, either. I have young children and I want to experience camping with them. Saving up for a decent camper would mean losing years of valuable time with them. I'll fork over the 5% interest and consider it the best investment of my life. And with used, the terms shorten and the rates increase resulting in a higher payment than on the new rig. Plus I have a higher likelihood of encountering a major expense such as an A/C or fridge replacement- especially if I go with a 5+ year old rig to save some money. So, to me, the only benefit at all with buying used is that I can have it paid off sooner. I don't plan to keep one that long anyway, so that's a moot point for me. And I get good enough deals buying from RVW (and take good care of my rigs- no pets, no smoking, kept undercover) that my depreciation over 3 years is typically less than the cost of replacing 1 refer on an older used rig, so it's pretty much all a win to me going new.

I think we all have our own reasons for doing things. I am handy so can fix stuff myself, all 4 of our boys are out and older just wife and I.

I am curious how you figure a 3 year old unit yields less than $3,000.00 depreciation?

I have a 2015 Roo I bought new and I am at like 30% based on Nada?

I won't own things unless I don't have payments or the loan is only with my credit union but only loan I have is my 2016 F350 PS Diesel which I bought for work and camping.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #34
Site Team

I wouldn't get hung up on added fees or trades etc. Look at the bottom line and if you are happy buy it, if not look elsewhere. Every dealer is different. Some have low unit prices with added fees and some have higher prices with no fees. As for financing va cash, read the loan agreement. If you can finance and then pay off in a month or two without penalty and save money then do it and don't get hung up on financing vs cash deal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #35

Quote:

I am curious how you figure a 3 year old unit yields less than $3,000.00 depreciation?

I have a 2015 Roo I bought new and I am at like 30% based on Nada?
I didn't have to figure it based upon NADA, I know from experience. Our first new camper was a 2012 Puma. We had it for 2.5 years and used it for ~150 nights. Lost $1600 on it. This includes the delivery fee, but does not account for the 6.25% tax. That is a given, so it's pointless to fret over it. Keep in mind that I could have parked this camper next to a new one on the lot and you wouldn't have been able to tell which was the used one it was so well taken care of. Second was another Puma, 2015, IIRC. Kept it for 8 months and used it ~50 nights. Sold it for exactly what we gave. We did pick it up, so you could say we lost the equivalent of a delivery fee of ~$1800. Granted, this is a forum where anyone is free to claim anything- like they get 13mpg towing their 15K FW (when I can only get that mileage towing a 5K cargo trailer with mine and only get 11 or so towing my 9.5K TT), but this has been my experience. Even with all of this taken into account, Momma's happy having something new and clean that no one else has stayed in, and that's worth a LOT in and of itself. And as far as financing goes, I prefer to finance with my local credit union as well. But with RVW I can get a really nice discount and still get within a half point of the best my credit union can do, so I finance my camper with them.

Edit: I'm handy and do most of my repairs as well, even when under warranty.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I wouldn't get hung up on added fees or trades etc. Look at the bottom line and if you are happy buy it, if not look elsewhere. Every dealer is different. Some have low unit prices with added fees and some have higher prices with no fees. As for financing va cash, read the loan agreement. If you can finance and then pay off in a month or two without penalty and save money then do it and don't get hung up on financing vs cash deal.
Not sure how all dealers operate, but with RVWholesalers you can't pay it off before a year. You can pay a huge chunk toward the principal right off the bat, just make sure the loan balance stays high enough to allow you to make at least 12 monthly payments or you forfeit your discount.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I didn't have to figure it based upon NADA, I know from experience. Our first new camper was a 2012 Puma. We had it for 2.5 years and used it for ~150 nights. Lost $1600 on it. This includes the delivery fee, but does not account for the 6.25% tax. That is a given, so it's pointless to fret over it. Keep in mind that I could have parked this camper next to a new one on the lot and you wouldn't have been able to tell which was the used one it was so well taken care of. Second was another Puma, 2015, IIRC. Kept it for 8 months and used it ~50 nights. Sold it for exactly what we gave. We did pick it up, so you could say we lost the equivalent of a delivery fee of ~$1800. Granted, this is a forum where anyone is free to claim anything- like they get 13mpg towing their 15K FW (when I can only get that mileage towing a 5K cargo trailer with mine and only get 11 or so towing my 9.5K TT), but this has been my experience. Even with all of this taken into account, Momma's happy having something new and clean that no one else has stayed in, and that's worth a LOT in and of itself. And as far as financing goes, I prefer to finance with my local credit union as well. But with RVW I can get a really nice discount and still get within a half point of the best my credit union can do, so I finance my camper with them.

Edit: I'm handy and do most of my repairs as well, even when under warranty.

Yeah we looked at New a 315 Crusader, 305 Montana High Country, and Cougar 333mkss but all are like 35-50K and there is no way I would buy that High only to lose 30% over a few years so I would rather buy Used where most of the depreciation is gone and I don't have a loan. I personally feel this industry doesn't look at the Customer Satisfaction but that is ok, I won't pay all those ridiculous fees like a $299.99 dealer paperwork fee. I have gotten used quotes on my Roo from under low wholesale to retail but depends on what your buying depends on what the dealer offers. Going to an RV show this weekend and have mine up for sale on my own but just can't see paying interest on something I don't need to.

Do not need a useless 12 month warranty bc most dealers won't fix it if you didn't buy from them, but like I said before we all have our own reasons. I find that dealers who have low prices tend to not want your trade and dealers that have higher prices will give you money for it, but at a cost and fee you to death.

I base my price on 30-35% off MSRP plus NJ sales tax and DMV fees. To me everything else is negotiable especially when I know it costs a lot less then $1500 to get an RV from Mid West to NJ say like $850.00 from a hauler I know.

PDI fees you can keep them and the warranty only covers defects from their lack of quality control anyway. I do understand those with kids it is a matter of safety and downtime, I get it but for us we do 30-40 nights per year so I have downtime to fix things etc.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #38

My experience in looking at used units is that choices were limited and it was very difficult to even get close to what I wanted in floorplan, options, brand, model year, etc. let alone price which in many cases was close to new on late models. I suppose there are deals and values out there though for the very patient buyer.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #39

I guess I'm different.

It seems many of the above comments are from folks apparently looking at this as some kind of investment, and if it loses money quickly, it's a 'bad' investment. Or if it depreciates before too badly before they want to trade it in every 2 years, that's bad too.

I don't look at it as an investment. It's like my house value. If I can afford the mortgage payments, and I enjoy the house, and I don't plan on ever moving, what difference does it make what the 'market' on houses is doing? I bought something that I needed, for a price I could afford to pay, and I use it for its intended purpose.

Same with this trailer. Don't see getting rid of it, DO see using it, and can afford the monthly payments. What else truly matters????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #40

Quote:
I won't pay all those ridiculous fees like a $299.99 dealer paperwork fee.
This is the only fee that I will pay- and I'm thinking that is set by whatever state you are in. Every vehicle I've ever bought has a similar fee and it covers title transfer/registration, etc. IIRC, this is $295 at RVW.