Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

RV Purchasing Advice

Ok so have not bought many of these but what what is the best way to negotiate a deal considering I know what I paid for my current unit and how to get the most for it and best deal on a new unit.

It doesn't seem the same with RV's as it is with cars, just curious how everyone handles the low balling on your unit when trying to trade.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Ok so have not bought many of these but what what is the best way to negotiate a deal considering I know what I paid for my current unit and how to get the most for it and best deal on a new unit.

It doesn't seem the same with RV's as it is with cars, just curious how everyone handles the low balling on your unit when trying to trade.
Whatever the dealer is asking for the new unit, shoot for 20% off that price for starters. Research the internet to determine what units like yours are selling for. You may also find RV trade-in values using NADA I think? From these numbers, determine your desireable and maximum spreads, I.e., the cash your willing to give the dealer along with your old RV. Get the dealers offer first. Continue to negotiate fairly without exceeding your maximum spread.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Whatever the dealer is asking for the new unit, shoot for 20% off that price for starters. Research the internet to determine what units like yours are selling for. You may also find RV trade-in values using NADA I think? From these numbers, determine your desireable and maximum spreads, I.e., the cash your willing to give the dealer along with your old RV. Get the dealers offer first. Continue to negotiate fairly without exceeding your maximum spread.

Is the same method for New or used? I bought my first one used, traded it on my New Roo but now looking to go to a Used Primetime Crusader and they vary so much is price from dealer to dealer? Also what dealers will give me for mine varies a whole lot, not sure why but some low ball and others offer mid way.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #4

I think most will tell you at least 30% new MSRP. I got 35+ off at RV Wholesalers.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I think most will tell you at least 30% new MSRP. I got 35+ off at RV Wholesalers.

Yeah new ok but used a Crusader 295 say 2014 can vary anywhere from $20's to $40's used, just doesn't make sense if they all supposedly use the book why there is such a huge difference
Old 02-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

We took a brand new previous model year (2016 instead of 2017) and saved $8000. Actually I like the 2016 better- the only difference was, that the 2017 has instead of a wall to the bedroom a sliding door to the bathroom, which I don't like. It takes off room in the bathroom, because less space for the sink and also when I shower or using the toilette- smell and steam stays in the bathroom. I like it how the 2016 model is built. And it's still brand new. Especially now- the previous year models might getting rare, but they are still out there, if you don't mind about the MY.

for used ones- the only way to get a price is to search for a specific model and compare the prices. what people want and what they actually get are different pair of shoes. I looked at a Outback someone has in his yard on my way home and the guy wants $25000 for it- it's a 2014. The problem here- a new one is just $2000 more including warranty. That's why the camper sits there already since 6 months. I researched and found the camper for average $14000. At least he tries....
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

My experience was that my local dealers want to make about 40% markup on a traded rig. For me, that meant they were offering me only $12K or so on a rig they would sell for $17-$17.5. I'll let a dealer make a couple grand on me, but not $5K+. I didn't even mention a trade until I'd done some serious haggling- I consider it a sport. Then I called RVWholesalers and saved over $3K with no sweat. They quoted me a price. I was hesitant because I'd never bought something large like a camper sight unseen before. My salesperson, Kelly Tussing, asked what would be a price I'd be comfortable with. I told him. He asked me to hold on for a minute, got approval within about 60 seconds and made it happen. Wow! A company that actually wants to sell campers- it was refreshing to say the least. So, I pocketed the savings on the new rig and listed mine on Craigslist. Had it sold for $16.4K within a few weeks. Even when calculating the additional tax I paid by not trading, I came out around $7K ahead on a single deal!!!! All for maybe 20 hours total work in cleaning our old rig, taking pictures, listing it and taking a few calls here and there. I realize you didn't say anything about doing anything other than trading, but you at least should consider selling yours personally and then giving RVWholesalers a call. It might work out to be a much better option for you like it did me.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah new ok but used a Crusader 295 say 2014 can vary anywhere from $20's to $40's used, just doesn't make sense if they all supposedly use the book why there is such a huge difference
Just keep in mind that there can be some very pricey options that would inflate the price of one over the other. Things like 50A service with 2nd A/C, auto leveling jacks, certain packages that include things like the frameless windows and upgraded color schemes and so on. Most dealers won't give any more trade on options, so just keep in mind that if YOU pay them for those options, it's 100% pure profit for them. There can also be very different conditions of used units. My experience in looking at used units is that 99% of them run from "I can probably stay in this thing without being completely grossed out if I spend a weekend deep cleaning it and replace all the mattresses" to "What pack of wild animals were trapped in here and left all the damage and filth and then died creating this horrid stench." My local dealers offered me the same trade money they would offer someone with a trade in the latter condition, so also keep in mind that if you pay them extra for one that is "pristine" (while rare) that will be 100% profit for them, too. This is another reason I refused to trade. Ours looked NEW inside and out (no pets or smoking, always stored inside, etc)- and I mean that 100% literally. No way was I willing to let them pay me for a trashed unit and then make the extra on all the hard work and care I spent keeping it flawless.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
My experience in looking used was not pleasureful... I had to increase the budget 4X to get close to an acceptable unit. 5k to 10k ended up at 19k(2 YO 5er), but DW was happy. Knowing what I know now I could have bought a new one from RVW for about the same money. NADA is supposed to be the best price range units. I checked a 2016 like mine @ 19,800 to 23,850 used(no 2017 used on NADA)
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

The problem with many late model used units for sale is the sellers took out long term loans, possibly overpaid to begin with, put little money down, financed the taxes as well and possibly an extended warranty, and therefore owe more then its worth so they have to ask same as new prices to even come close to paying it off. This is one reason why so many used units are overpriced IMO.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The problem with many late model used units for sale is the sellers took out long term loans, possibly overpaid to begin with, put little money down, financed the taxes as well and possibly an extended warranty, and therefore owe more then its worth so they have to ask same as new prices to even come close to paying it off. This is one reason why so many used units are overpriced IMO.

Yep, and that is yet another reason I will never go into jock for one of these things. I own my first one and this one free and clear. One of the main reasons I am looking at Used so I can get the options and model I wanted but just 1-3 years old as the warranty doesn't matter anyway and I would do 90% of the work myself.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Yep, and that is yet another reason I will never go into jock for one of these things. I own my first one and this one free and clear. One of the main reasons I am looking at Used so I can get the options and model I wanted but just 1-3 years old as the warranty doesn't matter anyway and I would do 90% of the work myself.

Not sure about your location, but in NE Texas, I can buy brand new optioned exactly how I want from RVW and have it delivered for the same money local dealers want for used rigs 1-3 years old. Plus I can get a better interest rate. Back in 2011 before we bought our first new unit from RVW, we looked for a good while and never found one in the floorplan with the options we wanted. Seemed obvious to us that we'd definitely be compromising on something if we went used- never mind the fact that we couldn't find one that seemed it had been taken care of. Maybe we're just too picky!
Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Not sure about your location, but in NE Texas, I can buy brand new optioned exactly how I want from RVW and have it delivered for the same money local dealers want for used rigs 1-3 years old. Plus I can get a better interest rate. Back in 2011 before we bought our first new unit from RVW, we looked for a good while and never found one in the floorplan with the options we wanted. Seemed obvious to us that we'd definitely be compromising on something if we went used- never mind the fact that we couldn't find one that seemed it had been taken care of. Maybe we're just too picky!

My wife wanted a new one since we met and I had the unit I had, but I have to sell mine first before ordering from RVWholesalers, they seem to have the best Price and local CW does pretty good warranty work on units you don't buy from them so, we may sell ours and then order one from RVW. Looking at Crusader 315 or Keystone Montana High Country 305, or Cougar 333MKSS all same layout.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
My wife wanted a new one since we met and I had the unit I had, but I have to sell mine first before ordering from RVWholesalers, they seem to have the best Price and local CW does pretty good warranty work on units you don't buy from them so, we may sell ours and then order one from RVW. Looking at Crusader 315 or Keystone Montana High Country 305, or Cougar 333MKSS all same layout.
There is an independent repair shop (not a dealer) just 2 miles from me that I have used for warranty work arranged through RVW. Some on the forum have also reported being able to use mobile techs. So, with RVW, you do have many more repair options available than you would just going to a local dealer. I like to live life on the edge and ordered my new one before I had the other sold. I didn't want any down time without a rig!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
There is an independent repair shop (not a dealer) just 2 miles from me that I have used for warranty work arranged through RVW. Some on the forum have also reported being able to use mobile techs. So, with RVW, you do have many more repair options available than you would just going to a local dealer. I like to live life on the edge and ordered my new one before I had the other sold. I didn't want any down time without a rig!

Spoke to RVW today they will help sell my TT Hybrid but prefer to sell mine and use that $ toward new one then float a loan so we will wait but 99% sure I will order from them and negotiate.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #16

If you can avoid it don't trade...sell on your own. Only exception would be if tax advantage wasn't high enough to trade. I sold a trailer in less than 2 weeks for 10k more than dealer would give me...and then I was free to buy anywhere and got an even lower price on the unit.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
If you can avoid it don't trade...sell on your own. Only exception would be if tax advantage wasn't high enough to trade. I sold a trailer in less than 2 weeks for 10k more than dealer would give me...and then I was free to buy anywhere and got an even lower price on the unit.

How did you sell yours? What area are you in. I though of using Craigslist and I live on East Coast in NJ. I won't be trading it, dealers low ball me then sell for what I most likely could have sold for on my own, just don't know the best avenue to sell it. I have mine listed here but don't think it will sell on here, so have to try new ways.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
Site Team

What you do depends on how much effort you want to put into it. You usually get the best overall deal by selling your current unit yourself. The dealer will need to make some profit on what ever they take in trade. Selling yourself can be time consuming and frustrating but produces the best deal. If you are trading your unit. I would not focus on trade in value, discount or added fees. The only thing you should consider is the final cost to you. This is especially important if you are financing as you can get low monthly payments, but do not build equity very fast should you trade up in the future and will pay considerable interest. Decide what you can afford (Don't give them this number) and ask the dealer for the out the door price. Don't get caught up in the trade in/ discount game. Find an option you would like ( AC upgrade, Vent upgrade etc) and tell them you will accept the deal if they throw in that option.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
What you do depends on how much effort you want to put into it. You usually get the best overall deal by selling your current unit yourself. The dealer will need to make some profit on what ever they take in trade. Selling yourself can be time consuming and frustrating but produces the best deal. If you are trading your unit. I would not focus on trade in value, discount or added fees. The only thing you should consider is the final cost to you. This is especially important if you are financing as you can get low monthly payments, but do not build equity very fast should you trade up in the future and will pay considerable interest. Decide what you can afford (Don't give them this number) and ask the dealer for the out the door price. Don't get caught up in the trade in/ discount game. Find an option you would like ( AC upgrade, Vent upgrade etc) and tell them you will accept the deal if they throw in that option.

Yes I agree but we are about $2000 away on my trade verse where I want to be especially I am an all cash deal. I thought about the added things like second AC, 5th wheel hitch etc but they are stuck on their $399.99 dealer fee which is just another BS fee for them to make money on? I am now trying to sell mine on my own bc based on units out there for sale I can get less then what dealers are selling for and make up the $2,000 difference and go into the new RV with no trade and all cash but they are all hung up on me financing? Just another route for them to make money
Old 02-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #20

Sold mine on Craigslist. Went fast but got lucky I guess, however I bought it right and I priced it right. I realized that with a one year old trailer I would need to be under the lowest new price I could find. I took about a 5,000 dollar loss for one year but I bought new. Compared to getting 18.5 from the dealer I think selling for 29,500 was a plus.

Two thousand apart isn't that far, they may be wanting you to split the difference etc. They do make money financing, no doubt about that. RV wholesalers for example gives extra thousands to finance with them...basically they pass that kickback on to customer. You agree to keep it at least a year which makes sure RV Wholesalers doesn't have to repay your loan bonus so it makes sense.

I'd let them know you are all in and ready to make the deal if you are. They love to hear "id sign today if".....if they can't do it ask them to let you know so you can move on and shop elsewhere. Many times they would actually rather make no money or even a minor loss depending on unit just to keep the sale.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote