Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

RV Records and Data

Curious if others here use a computerized system to keep records of mods, repairs, service, etc. for their RV. I've been accused of being too anal for keeping all this data.

I use an iPad/iPhone app (self written) where I have records of any part, etc., I've added, including date, vendor, order number, cost, and several other bits of info. I also keep a record of the receipt or invoice and any notes about the item or service. There is also a section for recording trip data and trailer mileage. Using this app I can instantly retrieve data in case I need to do another repair or mod, find a part number, etc.

Anyone else doing this and what type of system are you using?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

I like the idea of keeping documents/receipts in an electronic format on my phone.

Easy to email them to a vendor on the spot when they have trouble with their "Selective Memory".
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Team

You are not the only one keeping records... On the road I use a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet for our records. An Excel spreadsheet does what your app does regarding the MPG, fluid top offs, services and mods. I also keep a .pdf copy of all of the user manuals for our coach on 16GB micro SDHC in one of the tablets memory slots. A back up copy of all this resides on my MacBook Air...
Old 01-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

I have three EXLCE Spread sheet that I keep track of camping expense and trailer modifications on. The third sheet has the cost to purchase with the maintenance cost for each trailer that we have owned. The camping cost date back to 2007 when we got back into traveling with a 5er. I can go back and see what was expense for each trip in food, fees, fuel cost and entertainment cost for each trip and the total for the year. This way we know what to budget for the next year travels.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Record keeping

You make me feel so lazy and unorganized. Do need to start keeping better records. Now use a shoe box full of receipts.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Sorry, your to anal.

Didn't get into rving to become a part time historian and book keeper. If that is what floats your boat, more power to you.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

The only thing I can add is that I make sure my Excel spreadsheets and data bases are backed up to the free Google Cloud so I can grab them from any device and so I don't worry about loss or failure of the tablet/PC.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Not only do we keep maintenance records, but we also keep a diary of each campground we visit. Site #, weather, pros and cons, where we ate, visited, who we met, etc. This is in handwritten form at first, but scanned and digitized when we get home. Learned to do this the hard way. Had a log of 17 years of camping adventures with our pop-up, that I accidentally threw away in the recycle. It's amazing how much we refer back to our camping diary. We are getting ready to leave tomorrow for our 99th campground in 8.5 years with our travel trailer. Number of campgrounds visited is another statistic we have kept since purchasing our TT.
JudyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

I love that shoe box myself, I keep maintenance and a copy of all parts bought and if any repairs which I have had only 2, anything more then that is useless junk and I don't have time for such nonsense
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
ARLO

I keep records of uh, mm, hm, nothing except what may be warranty. The rest is unimportant. I don't care about mileage, you get 9 yo 11 mpg towing. I will remember what I have fixed and how to redo it. I don't take my unit to be fixed. I may be very extremely lucky but I seldom have anything go wrong that cannot be fixed at home or onsite. We had three starcraft pop ups that were bulletproof. A Mallard, a Prowler, a Sunline and a Flagstaff that needed little in the line of repairs. Our 1999 Wildwood was so bad we only kept it 9 months and our 2006 HR Savoy was so bad the dealer had it 7 months out of the three years we had it. Besides a window handle, two door latches and a water heater resistor, it has been great also. As far as campgrounds go, we only remember the bad ones.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
I keep records of uh, mm, hm, nothing except what may be warranty. The rest is unimportant. I don't care about mileage, you get 9 yo 11 mpg towing. I will remember what I have fixed and how to redo it. I don't take my unit to be fixed. I may be very extremely lucky but I seldom have anything go wrong that cannot be fixed at home or onsite. We had three starcraft pop ups that were bulletproof. A Mallard, a Prowler, a Sunline and a Flagstaff that needed little in the line of repairs. Our 1999 Wildwood was so bad we only kept it 9 months and our 2006 HR Savoy was so bad the dealer had it 7 months out of the three years we had it. Besides a window handle, two door latches and a water heater resistor, it has been great also. As far as campgrounds go, we only remember the bad ones.
Right on my friend
Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

I save all repair/parts receipts in a file folder...but don't keep records beyond that. What I do keep is a spiral notebook with lists and tips & info I might need to have handy. Like air pressure & tire size & type, vin#, phone numbers for Ford, G'town & Good Sam Assist, Insurance Co....ditto for info on our scooters. I also list step by step procedures for winterizing (i.e. don't forget the outside shower line!) oil changes & parts for gen & engine, Setting up in a new park, etc. etc.

I write a review on every park we visit and submit it to campgroundreviews.com...Not only does this help others...but I can go into my own profile there and always see any campground we've visited. If you keep your own campground notes...consider submitting them so others can learn the good, the bad and the awesome!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #13

camaraderie
are you sure that's the right website info? went their and it says domain site is for sale
Old 01-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
SnP

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks Is the correct website and active, as I just went there.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #15

Lord I can't even remember where I went to the bathroom last. If I need fuel I buy more, if truck breaks down I take it to shop and pay the bill. I don't keep any records of anything. Sometimes I look for certain spots in campgrounds that I have been too but most of the time I call and pay. I don't take a lot of pictures, my friends don't really want to sit and see where I have been. They just clog up space on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #16

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Just tried it as above and all is working fine. Even cut and pasted the link in my message & it worked. Dunno??? Anyone else have a problem with the link??
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #17

Nope I don't keep anything electronic....... Nothing ......... Keep important receipts other than that no......... Why I don't want to know what we spend on RVing the DW might make us quit

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Nope I don't keep anything electronic....... Nothing ......... Keep important receipts other than that no......... Why I don't want to know what we spend on RVing the DW might make us quit

X2! I usually hide receipts or file them under " G"
Usually give the DW, the " half" price of what I paid!!
No evidence.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
X2! I usually hide receipts or file them under " G"
Usually give the DW, the " half" price of what I paid!!
No evidence.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
X2 Don't Ask.............. tell 1/2

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Curious if others here use a computerized system to keep records of mods, repairs, service, etc. for their RV. I've been accused of being too anal for keeping all this data.

I use an iPad/iPhone app (self written) where I have records of any part, etc., I've added, including date, vendor, order number, cost, and several other bits of info. I also keep a record of the receipt or invoice and any notes about the item or service. There is also a section for recording trip data and trailer mileage. Using this app I can instantly retrieve data in case I need to do another repair or mod, find a part number, etc.

Anyone else doing this and what type of system are you using?
Nothing at all for me...if something breaks,I fix it and pay the bill, that's it.
I bought a TT to travel and relax !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote