Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #1

RV Solar Panel Theft is an issue

I learned this the hard way. We just returned home from an eight day seven night road trip with our Palomino SS1251.

The second night we were supposed to stay in a camp ground near Youngstown Ohio. The weather was bad, driving was slow and bad so we stopped short and got a room in Sandusky Ohio instead. That night the 100W panel on my roof was stolen although I did not realize it until we got home. A good deal of other damage was done as well to the vent fan they tried pulling off and the roof membrane.

Apparently solar panel theft has become yet another popular crime. The panels show up on ebay cheap.

I have full coverage on the truck and camper so this will be remedied but it still costs me $500 and I don't know yet for State Farm.

The new panel will be installed with one-way screws and have the camper serial number engraved in big easy to see fashion.

Be advised.
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #2

It's very possibly that the panel wasn't really stolen but blew off while heading down the road. Clue is the fact it was not secured by screws, merely tape and the ripped roof and vent damage tends to reinforce that thought.

Taping a solar panel to a roof membrane that in many cases is barely secured to the roof deck makes no sense to me. Perhaps to an installer who might never see the installation again and is looking for a quick and cheap method of attachment. MAYBE on a fiberglass or aluminum roof but not on a roof that all too often looks like a billowing tarp on a trash truck goung down the highway.

As for stealing solar panels? Maybe a portable but not off a rooftop.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
Always Learning

Having a cousin who lost a solar panel while driving (he saw it in the mirror), my vote is the same as TitanMike's thinking.

Sucks that it happened, though.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #4

My panel was very secure both screwed down and sealed down. Plus the shoe prints on the roof. You can easily tell where the person stood and kneeled to work on it.

It was installed at my dealer and I checked it myself. Each of the four mounts had two screws going into the wood. Then that was all sealed over.

The hotel is checking their security camera footage so the facts will be known.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Another reason for us to not put ladders on the back

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #6

You can see in this picture where the screws were and the sealant traces. Also where they pulled up the sealant around the vent and the solar wire connector block. And the scuffle marks from where they stood.

It was parked by a "balcony". The hotel was two stories. We stayed down stairs on the ground level. But I parked (stupidly) where a person could go up the steps and look down on the roof, or jump down. It was raining so I parked close to the building not thinking about anyone doing that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210929_085927.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	263684  
Old 10-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the heads up!

It never occurred to me that someone would steal solar panels if they were lag-screwed to the roof of the rig. One is only worth about $100 new, so the "used" market can't be that strong.

Sorry this happened to you and your rig. I hope the rest of the damage is minimal.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
It never occurred to me that someone would steal solar panels if they were lag-screwed to the roof of the rig. One is only worth about $100 new, so the "used" market can't be that strong.

Sorry this happened to you and your rig. I hope the rest of the damage is minimal.
$100 new? Not to sidetrack the discussion. But may be time to go solar

And yes, sorry about the OPs issue. It sucks.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

A Renogy 100Watt panel and controller kit is around $200. You need the controller and the rest of the stuff. I have a better 30amp controller so my "kit" was more expensive. But the panel alone is $100 - $150 new yes.

I do not think the person who stole this one knows what it is. In other words it is not a 300watt or 400watt home style panel. Those can run up to $1000 each. That person just sees a solar panel. IMO

Thieves are using google earth to target homes for the more expensive panels. Or solar farms as well.

Why rip at my vent fan unless you could squeeze through the hole and get in maybe. Or shove a kid in it to open the door.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #10

I have 5 solar panels on our trailer with 3 more being installed in a few months. I have heard about solar panel theft and it is a little bit of a concern.

My panels are adjustable, which limits my ability to secure them. If you can install them into a fixed position you can use security screws like these..

For me, are there security devices you can put on the ladder to prevent unauthorized people from getting on the roof?

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #11

So sorry rdailey. Just goes to show you that even screwed down, if a thief wants it, they'll get it.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #12

I have one way screws in mind for the wood. Then am thinking about a motion detector alarm inside by the door or someplace as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61Q3fuSb01L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	263712  
Old 10-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdailey View Post
I have one way screws in mind for the wood. Then am thinking about a motion detector alarm inside by the door or someplace as well.
I'ma thinking that and a Screw Gun to fit that odd head, would do the trick.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #14

I have had mine 5 years. Its not mounted. We boondocks mostly and never had a problem. Lesson seems to be stay out of cities, especially in Ohio.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #15

The point I was trying to share with this is: this is a thing. Be aware.

The blowing off thing I could accept except that it was properly secured. And the connector block and vent having their sealant pulled up by force. And the scuffle marks.

And the $100 point is good but thieves do not care I suppose. A target of opportunity is a target of opportunity.

It is what it is.

I have no ladder. I made the mistake of parking under the balcony on a rainy night. Or right along it's edge. Walkway, catwalk. Whatever you want to call it.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:12 PM   #16

If they wanted it, they wouldn't need a balcony. Just pull a pickup truck near the rig and you've got your ladder plus the means to haul it off.
Thanks for the warning. They probably would have destroyed the roof to get that panel if they hadn't been able to get it unscrewed. Glad the damage wasn't worse.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:52 PM   #17

Quote:
A Renogy 100Watt panel and controller kit is around $200. You need the controller and the rest of the stuff. I have a better 30amp controller so my "kit" was more expensive. But the panel alone is $100 - $150 new yes.
Thanks for the info.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
The hotel is checking their security camera footage so the facts will be known.
Please share once they're able to review the footage. This blows my mind that someone would steal a solar panel from the roof of an RV.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #19

Surprised the heck out of me. No question there.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Please share once they're able to review the footage. This blows my mind that someone would steal a solar panel from the roof of an RV.
In the dark. In bad weather. In a situation that would required hopping from a balcony. With tools to unscrew it. It's like a James Bond movie!

BTW, be careful staying in cheaper motels. Around here, residents are welfare recipients living there on government assistance vouchers. Never knew that till I started seeing so many articles involving crimes at these places. NJ pays these motels to house unproductive members of society.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel