Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
Wanderluster

RV TollPass

Has anyone used RV TollPass? https://rvtollpass.com/

Saw it advertised as the "single toll pass that works nationwide," but I'm not sure if the $14.99 monthly fee charged for the months in which it is used makes it worthwhile.

If I'm passing through a state with tolls, I can't see racking up even $14.99 in tolls - which would only let me break even.

Any thoughts from anyone who has actually used one of these? Is it worth it?
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #2

I don’t know about Tollpass but I have had E-Z pass for many years and I get discounted tolls plus no waiting in line at tolls at most places. Many tolls now have express lanes for E-Z pass so you just have to slow a little and keep going. As for toll amounts, if you head northeast they can get pretty expensive. Just read an article that PA turnpike is over $100 for entire length. My pass cost $1 per month so I have kept it, but don’t use it a large amount but it is worth it when I can keep moving.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

For me, the $14.99 fee for the months not used, is a turn off.

In PA you'll rack that up in one trip (turnpike) but not in some other states. Pay by plate is even more expensive in PA. The PA Turnpike was just listed as the WORLD'S most expensive toll road! Geez!

I had EZ-Pass for many years but now I have FL's E-Pass Extra (now called Uni) which is good in 18 states. It has worked well for me over the last two years of traveling the Eastern US.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
For me, the $14.99 fee for the months not used, is a turn off.

In PA you'll rack that up in one trip (turnpike) but not in some other states. Pay by plate is even more expensive in PA. The PA Turnpike was just listed as the WORLD'S most expensive toll road! Geez!

I had EZ-Pass for many years but now I have FL's E-Pass Extra (now called Uni) which is good in 18 states. It has worked well for me over the last two years of traveling the Eastern US.
I checked into EZ pass for our trip to Hershey/Gettysburg. Your point on the monthly fee if you don't use the EZ pass is why we decided not to use it. Also changed our route. New route more scenic and save $100 each way. It is about an hour longer, but we are in no hurry getting there or home.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #5

I-Pass from Illinois is part of the EZ Pass system: 17 states participate on the east side of the country (soon to be 19: adding FL and GA). For I-Pass, the transponder is free, they like to start with $20 on an account and they link it to a credit card to replenish. Paying by transponder (at least in Illinois) drops toll costs in half. The system will count axles and deduct the proper amount for your rig. No more having to stop at toll plazas! Works on bridges, too.

More about EZ Pass here: https://www.e-zpassiag.com/

RV Toll pass looks like a great product for flexibility and coverage for most of the country, but it's a business looking to make money based on providing a central billing point for different state's systems. And those states are already working to merge their compatibility, just as service providers are trying to expand their coverage areas (witness EZ Pass coming to FL and GA).

At $180/year for the RV Tollpass (not including tolls, used or not), I think I'd rather research my trip and get transponders from states I'm going to be in for lower cost.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #6

We live in Wisconsin where there are no toll roads, and bought an I-Pass in Illinois. There's no monthly fee in any state where we've used it, and that includes Pennsylvania where we frequently travel to visit family.

There is a small service fee when bought plus you've got to pre fund the I-Pass account.

I- Pass works for us in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York Thru way, possibly other states. States with toll roads all seem to have their own "brand". Fron what I've seen their is a lot of compatibility among the states but there are some regional exceptions which should be understood before traveling imo
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #7

We use the EZ Pass. It works just fine.

Marty
Old 03-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #8

Another vote for EZ pass. For $1 per month I have no problem not using it. It works across the northeast quarter of the country. You do get toll discounts in the state you register it in.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
I-Pass from Illinois is part of the EZ Pass system: 17 states participate on the east side of the country (soon to be 19: adding FL and GA). For I-Pass, the transponder is free, they like to start with $20 on an account and they link it to a credit card to replenish. Paying by transponder (at least in Illinois) drops toll costs in half. The system will count axles and deduct the proper amount for your rig. No more having to stop at toll plazas! Works on bridges, too.

More about EZ Pass here: https://www.e-zpassiag.com/

RV Toll pass looks like a great product for flexibility and coverage for most of the country, but it's a business looking to make money based on providing a central billing point for different state's systems. And those states are already working to merge their compatibility, just as service providers are trying to expand their coverage areas (witness EZ Pass coming to FL and GA).

At $180/year for the RV Tollpass (not including tolls, used or not), I think I'd rather research my trip and get transponders from states I'm going to be in for lower cost.
I agree with all of this. I've had my I-pass for probably 20 years now and the only cost associated with it are the actual tolls I go through.

If it sits in my car and I don't use it for a year, I don't pay a dime.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote