Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

RV 'Travel Clubs' = Time Shares?

We are new to camping but now that we have acquired a camper and a vehicle to pull it we plan to be out often and see a good portion of the country this way. We recently accepted an invitation to camp free at a very nice campground. The hitch was that we had to listen to their 'pitch' about joining their group. The deal was a substantial up front payment (with a nominal annual fee) in exchange for unlimited free camping at our home park and two other related parks, with cheap ($10 - $15/night) camping at a network of other parks. There were a few other little benefits which we most likely would not use but the free and inexpensive camping was intriguing. Does anyone else have experience with organizations like this? I was impressed with the park we visited, it was nice, clean, well maintained, well managed etc. but the up front cost was pretty steep. I figure we would have to use the home and affiliated parks 30 - 40 nights a year to come out even and then it could be a good deal. I have no idea what any of the affiliated parks are like but the people selling the package assure me that the parks have alll been vetted and they are top of the line.
I have always been mistrustful of 'time shares' and this has a similar feel.
jlongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #2

Dave Ramsey,says once your in you wiil never get your money back if your not happy,There are several post on camp grounds in this forum ,listen to them they are the eyes and ears for every thing good,Don't do it.
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

Thanks, sounds like sage advice. There is an intriguing sound to them but the up front cost is quite a bit. Even though one might save an average of $20 a night (if that is indeed true) it can take a good many nights to pay for itself. Of course I know many people who own time shares (I think the comparison is a pretty accurate one) and who love them. We plan to get a lot of good use out of out new camper and I'm sure we will encounter many nice campgrounds and a few of the others.
jlongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Grape Escape

May I ask how much these deals are approx?
Do they expect you to reserve way ahead and what is the availablility of campsites once they take your money?
Is there an annual fee?
Just curious as we had to cancel our free stay
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

If you decide to go ahead with it, check your local Craigslist first (in fact, it might be worthwhile check it anyway). There is always at least a few folks trying to unload their camping memberships in order to recoup at least a portion of their investments. We have also checked out a couple of these Member campground "opportunities" and so far, have decided to pass on them.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Site Team

you might want to look at Passport America, CampClubUSA and Happy Camper as alternatives to camping timeshares.

a lot cheaper to join and all have numerous member campgrounds.
some do have restrictions but it's usually weekends and holidays.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #7

lets see how close i can get to the cost; abt $5000 to get in and $365/yr. if u join any of the services (RPI, C to C) that allow u to camp at other similar campgrounds that aren't owned by that company, abt $300 or so to them. it gets better...they also have condos u can rent for the week in places like Hawaii. problem with that is that u can go thru a travel agent and rent them for less. cruise...for abt 30% more than using a travel agent.

if ur a full timer, it will pay off.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #8

I inquired about one of these type of membership parks a few years ago and never found the value in it. We travel the US for my husband's job about 6 months of the year in our RV. I thought it would be great bc we would likely recoup the $ as much as we stay in campgrounds. Fine print was the deal breaker: said we couldn't stay at any one park for more than 14 days. His jobs can last over a month at each location so that was a no go.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #9

We've been to a few of these freebies - take them when you can, but we passed each time, save our money, and keep costs down by staying at State Parks. They're much better than any commercial campground anyway.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
Site Team

I also got offers of free camping from several companies. I'm still getting them into my 13th months of owning my trailer. There's no way I could even come close to getting my money worth based upon my style of camping. I wish some of them had a mini-plan but it doesn't work that way. I have yet to accept an offer to come up and check things out even with the offer of 20 free nights of camping and $150 check for time and gas.

Beware of what it takes to get out of a membership so you know what to expect. I do know some people with memberships but they are full time RVers.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #11

The campground in my area offer 30 nights and camping in a notheast zone for $499 and if you go over your 30 night it is just $3 a night and this is a yearly memership and you dont have to do it next year if you dont like it it is a 1000 trails and encore group we thought we give it a try next year asi is only 20miles from home oh and you can day use in summer like swim in pool or lake and it dont count towards your 30 days
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
The campground in my area offer 30 nights and camping in a notheast zone for $499 and if you go over your 30 night it is just $3 a night and this is a yearly memership and you dont have to do it next year if you dont like it it is a 1000 trails and encore group we thought we give it a try next year asi is only 20miles from home oh and you can day use in summer like swim in pool or lake and it dont count towards your 30 days
This is much more reasonable than other deals. For smaller incomes like mine this could work without breaking the bank.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote