Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2023, 07:25 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard - Apple CarPlay

Google maps may be great for car travel but I have been burnt one to many times towing our travel trailer. All indications are that RV Trip Wizard being Android Auto compatible will not happen in my lifetime so I am now considering making the switch from Android to Apple. If my research is correct RV Trip Wizard is CarPlay (Apple) compatible. Switching would be a big deal for me so I hope to find some RV Trip Wizard - CarPlay users to provide feedback on the following questions I have. 1. Can we depend on RV Trip Wizard to provide RV friendly directions? 2. Does RV Trip Wizard and Car Play actually work on dash displays? Thank You in advance for any information you can provide.
lsowers562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:30 PM   #2

It is highly dependent on what vehicle you have and what version software on both the phone and truck display.
My wife and I both drive GM products, but her car interacts differently than my truck does.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have yet to test RV Trip Wizard in my motorhome.
Vehicle make/model/year can impact how well CarPlay works.

Do you have a friend with an IPhone? That would be the quick and safe way to validate that RV Trip Wizard works in your vehicle.

<rant>
Apple has not been great about working to standards (like USB and Bluetooth protocols) and everyone thinks Apple is great so they blame their car manufacture (who tested the hell out of their USB interface using tools designed to validate to the standard). Auto manufactures have had to add "work arounds" to the standard to make Apple products work. Not my job before I retired, but I got an ear full from some of the infotainment developers.
<end rant>
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:16 PM   #4

I have an apple device and have used RV Trip Wizard for a couple of years now. Creating a trip could stand to be a little more straight forward, but besides that it’s worked flawlessly. No issues whatsoever interfacing with my truck.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I have yet to test RV Trip Wizard in my motorhome.
Vehicle make/model/year can impact how well CarPlay works.

Do you have a friend with an IPhone? That would be the quick and safe way to validate that RV Trip Wizard works in your vehicle.

<rant>
Apple has not been great about working to standards (like USB and Bluetooth protocols) and everyone thinks Apple is great so they blame their car manufacture (who tested the hell out of their USB interface using tools designed to validate to the standard). Auto manufactures have had to add "work arounds" to the standard to make Apple products work. Not my job before I retired, but I got an ear full from some of the infotainment developers.
<end rant>
I was thinking about trying it with a TracPhone but I will look for a friend with an Apple phone.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:27 PM   #6

What vehicle will you be using it in? A truck? A motorhome?

I have a 2018 F350. It has Apple CarPlay. I use RV Trip wizard on the built in dash display. I have used it for years.

Actually RV Trip Wizard is just a trip planner. You use the companion RV Life App as the actual GPS for routing. It is supposed to give you RV Safe routes but as with any GPS you need to verify the route.

Iíve been using it for 5 years and really love it..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:27 PM   #7

I use RVtrip in my truck. Works well with CarPlay using the cable. Wish it would work Bluetooth. I don’t like having my phone continually charging.

Former US Navy 6/1968 - 3/1972

Retired forensic auditor 4/2022
Russellvh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:54 AM   #8

Changing to any apple product will be expensive.
This would be a much cheaper alternative:
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Naviga...IscvD_BwE&th=1

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #9
Defender of America

Not the question you asked; but, I'm a way bigger fan of Garmin than I am of Apple Carplay.

I have an iPhone and of course a Garmin.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Not the question you asked; but, I'm a way bigger fan of Garmin than I am of Apple Carplay.

X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:16 AM   #11

Do the Garmin's provide accurate live traffic?
I have a rear view camera display and a TST display on my dash in addition to an indash display. Not sure where I would put another display or if I even want another display. That is why I am looking into CarPlay.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:19 AM   #12

Does RVTrip provide accurate live traffic?
Old 11-29-2023, 08:40 AM   #13

I know when I start a trip it ask if I want live but not sure if it compares to the Google or Apple mapping.

Former US Navy 6/1968 - 3/1972

Retired forensic auditor 4/2022
Russellvh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:21 AM   #14
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsowers562 View Post
Do the Garmin's provide accurate live traffic?
I have a rear view camera display and a TST display on my dash in addition to an indash display. Not sure where I would put another display or if I even want another display. That is why I am looking into CarPlay.
My Garmin does not have "live traffic" but I avoid big cities and go around.

100% agree with not wanting more displays. That would be the only reason I would use CarPlay.

Someone else's comment about charging phone is an issue for me also. It drains power out of phone crazy fast if not plugged in.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 11-29-2023, 10:22 AM   #15
Defender of America

My Garmin does send me warnings about traffic stops or construction ahead.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 11-29-2023, 12:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsowers562 View Post
Does RVTrip provide accurate live traffic?
A couple of things.. If you already use RVTripwizard to plan your routes then going to another device just adds another layer of things to do. With RVTW thegps routing is in the RVTW package you get when you sign up.

Second, go to rvtripwizard.com and go,to the help tab. Tons of answers on mapping and use.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #17

I use RVTrip Wizard only for planning routes and as a 2nd eye on the overall trip route. My Garmin RV 770 is used as my primary navigation. I don't fully trust RVTrip Wizard because it has twice tried to route me through some roads that there was no way a 38' 5th Wheel could navigate and ended at dead end where there was no turnaround ability. Just a few weeks ago in final trip leg, it was trying to send me to a closed park maintenance road over a dam. The road was super narrow that any oncoming cars would have been a major problem. I verified the road after my Garmin correctly navigated me to campsite. My wife and I could not believe where RVTrip wanted to take us. It may work fine most of the time, but you got to be careful. My trip navigation is as follows:

1. Use Garmin RV 770 as primary navigation.
2. Use RVTrip Wizard to plan the overall trip and low bridge/tunnel checks. I check the roads using Google Earth to verify drivability for my RV. If I fire up RVTrip Wizard on the iPad just as a spot check.
3. Use Waze on the truck CarPlay with no navigation set. I only use this to alert me to adverse road hazards such as objects in the road so I can be ready to avoid.

Using this scenario for past 5y, I've not had any problems making it safely with less stress to our campsite.

Just my 2cents.
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

We use an RV specific Garmin along with the trip wizard. Most of the time, the two GPSís agree.

A few years ago, prior to using trip wizard, I had my truck GPS on along with the Garmin traveling through Virginia. Truck GPS said to take one exit and the Garmin another. I followed the Garmin and it took me on a very narrow curvy road. When I got to the campground, I mentioned that it was some road! The campground host said their website recommended against using it(I missed that part!).

Theyíre not perfect!
Old 11-29-2023, 03:57 PM   #19

Absolutely agree.

Everyone needs to do extra homework to verify the routes being suggested. I don't trust any navigation device/app fully. The Google Earth check on the entire route being suggested has saved me multiple times. I only lock in the Gamin 770 once I know the route is safe. I set the Garmin to not alter the route once its set.
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:01 PM   #20

I agree with all that is said about checking your route regardless of what you use for a gps. Iíve been misled by google, RVTW, and when I used to use a Garmin. It that was a while ago.

All these companies do not have their own mapping service. They all use a database which is probably google. They do have their own group working on mapping edits to meet the demands of RV travel. They are not perfect or can they catch every road.

I recently went on a trip using RVTW and it routed me on a road that looked like The Tail of the Dragon. Not meant for any large vehicle much lass an RV.

I contacted RVTW about the route and they got right back to me an assured me their team would look into it.

So, use what works for you but you always need to verify your route. I love RVTW not just for the ease of using the gps but for the fact when I plan a long trip I have all my onfo from reservations info, to my own notes all in one place that I can get to from any device that connects to the internet.
I can also download state maps so I can use it where there is little or no internet connection. Came in handy when traveling out west.

Enjoy your travels..