Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 02:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
dalford: "RVtripwizard is not a gps. It does create a route but does not give turn by turn instructions. You have to create that yourself with a gps. "

Guess I don't understand what turn by turn is. I thought that's what TripWizard was doing when it guided me though areas I'd never been in before or told me to be in either of the 2 left lanes in 1 mile while on a 4 lane freeway. Is there more to it?
I guess I should have been more specific. When you say guided do you mean it showed you a map and a voice told you to turn here or there? You can get a list of turn by turn directions that you have to read from your computer or print but I donít consider that a gps. . You can download the route to your GPS like a Garmin and some others including google maps. I donít own a gps anymore and I found downloading the RVTW to google maps to be somewhat cumbersome.

Now with RVlife there is an RVTW tab and when you open it it has all your active RVTW trips shown. You can select a trip and download to a smart phone or a tablet turn by turn directions to google maps, Apple Maps, Waze or a so called RV Safe route. It gives you each leg. You can download map info so you donít need internet connection if needed.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Yes, I agree.. I donít trust any of them to be 100% accurate but to route you to The Road to the Sun is like a no brainer. RVtripwizard is not a gps. It does create a route but does not give turn by turn instructions. You have to create that yourself with a gps. But when you couple RVTW with RVlife you can get a leg to leg route downloaded to your smartphone to tablet. One of the options is for an RV safe route. You can also select Waze, Apple Maps or Google which are not ďRV safeĒ I used RV safe once when going to Gettysburg KOA and it gave me a safe, all be it longer, route. My buddy used google maps and it led it gave him directions to a low bridge that he was barely able to clear.

I used RVTW to plan our trip out west from Florida also back in 2019. We probably passed each other. We must have been traveling in opposite directions as we were in West Glacier then moved to East Glacier. We came the south route to Arizona, north thru all the Utah parks, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone then onto Glacier then west to all the other monuments along the way. it was nice to have all trip info in one place. Iíll keep buying for $49 but not $127.
It sounds like we had a similar list of sites that we visited. While we live in FL, we are originally from PA, so our trip was from FL back to PA to visit relatives and friends. Our route West started from PA and was mostly on I70 to Denver over the pass and Eisenhower Tunnel to Moab, Utah, then to Kanab, UT to visit North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Then we headed north to Grand Tetons (stayed at Colter Bay Village), Yellowstone and on to the West side of Glacier. From West Glacier we started heading back east towards home (FL).
We arrived in West Glacier on June 26th and at that point but Logan Pass along the Road to the Sun thru Glacier was not open yet do to snow.

For my 2019 trip I used RVTW to plan my trip (including fuel stops) and had a print out of the Turn by Turn instructions and used a Garmin RV760 GPS for my actual daily route on the coach. I just would enter the addresses for my fuel and campground stops.

I contacted RVTW last night and was told "As long as your subscription remains active, the bundle will remain at the $49 price." . I was happy to hear that and re-activated my subscription this morning.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs.
RGrimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #23

My current tow vehicle, has Appleplay so thru the RVLife app I can bring a Trip I created in RVTW into Waze and it becomes my turn by turn GPS.

The reason I print out the Turn by Turn instructions from RVTW for longer multi-stop trips is to use to compare it to directions that Waze is giving me with those from RVTW generated trip route. My DW is my navigator to verify turns between Waze and the printer instructions.

As any Trip Planner and GPS, you still always have to check your routes to avoid surprises. I have used my Garmin RV760 GPS and have has very good success with it guiding me without any problems.
-Russ
Old 02-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #24

Quote:
I guess I should have been more specific. When you say guided do you mean it showed you a map and a voice told you to turn here or there? You can get a list of turn by turn directions that you have to read from your computer or print but I donít consider that a gps. . You can download the route to your GPS like a Garmin and some others including google maps. I donít own a gps anymore and I found downloading the RVTW to google maps to be somewhat cumbersome.

Now with RVlife there is an RVTW tab and when you open it it has all your active RVTW trips shown. You can select a trip and download to a smart phone or a tablet turn by turn directions to google maps, Apple Maps, Waze or a so called RV Safe route. It gives you each leg. You can download map info so you donít need internet connection if needed.
Forgive me....the elder brain tried to blend two different components. I do not have data on my phone nor an ipad type device. I use the TripWizard on my desk top computer to plan my routes in general and research, then use my Garmin to guide me. I've read that TW can be downloaded to Garmin but haven't done that - guess I'm pretty old fashioned and/or set in my ways!
Thanks for the reply.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Forgive me....the elder brain tried to blend two different components. I do not have data on my phone nor an ipad type device. I use the TripWizard on my desk top computer to plan my routes in general and research, then use my Garmin to guide me. I've read that TW can be downloaded to Garmin but haven't done that - guess I'm pretty old fashioned and/or set in my ways!
Thanks for the reply.
As I said above (post #22) when I did my 7000+ mile West trip I found it was easier to just enter my next destination address in My Garmin GPS. From RVTrip Wizard I can email my itinerary to myself and that email would have the Addresses listed for every stop, so I had a printable source for all my destination addresses (Campgrounds and Fuel Stops). This process worked well for me.

I did attempted to download the trip from RVTW to my Garmin and had no success.

RVTW is a great Trip Planner, they continue to improve it. I have tried many others over the years and none compared to RVTW. So as long as it stays at $49 per year I'll stay with it.
-Russ
Old 02-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
My current tow vehicle, has Appleplay so thru the RVLife app I can bring a Trip I created in RVTW into Waze and it becomes my turn by turn GPS.

The reason I print out the Turn by Turn instructions from RVTW for longer multi-stop trips is to use to compare it to directions that Waze is giving me with those from RVTW generated trip route. My DW is my navigator to verify turns between Waze and the printer instructions.

As any Trip Planner and GPS, you still always have to check your routes to avoid surprises. I have used my Garmin RV760 GPS and have has very good success with it guiding me without any problems.
-Russ
I love Apple CarPlay.. I love the fact that my 2018 F-350 allows me to display the map function I am using (Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze) on the dash 7Ē screen.Iíll even load the RVlife trip to Waze first then reload it to Google Maps and use Google as my primary map and Waze is still running in the background and will pop up warnings and hazards along with turn by turn directions.. these pop up along the bottom of the google map screen.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 02-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
No, I think you are doing what works for you and you are comfortable with. Iím just an old nerd type who likes the latest software tools...lol

The whole idea is to get to your destination safely and to use what ever tools and methods that suit your fancy....
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 02-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
It sounds like we had a similar list of sites that we visited. While we live in FL, we are originally from PA, so our trip was from FL back to PA to visit relatives and friends. Our route West started from PA and was mostly on I70 to Denver over the pass and Eisenhower Tunnel to Moab, Utah, then to Kanab, UT to visit North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Then we headed north to Grand Tetons (stayed at Colter Bay Village), Yellowstone and on to the West side of Glacier. From West Glacier we started heading back east towards home (FL).
We arrived in West Glacier on June 26th and at that point but Logan Pass along the Road to the Sun thru Glacier was not open yet do to snow.

For my 2019 trip I used RVTW to plan my trip (including fuel stops) and had a print out of the Turn by Turn instructions and used a Garmin RV760 GPS for my actual daily route on the coach. I just would enter the addresses for my fuel and campground stops.

I contacted RVTW last night and was told "As long as your subscription remains active, the bundle will remain at the $49 price." . I was happy to hear that and re-activated my subscription this morning.
-Russ
Looks like we missed each other by about a week at Glacier NP. We left East Glacier KOA on the 22nd of June heading to Devils Tower/Rushmore etc...

I emailed RVTW and here is their reply. They said Iím grandfathered at $39/year so maybe you get grandfathered at what rate you initially signed up at.

Thank you for asking. You are grandfathered at $39. We only have one subscription level.

You get 3 products with your subscription.

1) RV Trip Wizard, a web-based Trip Planning product accessed from your web browser at www.rvtripwizard.com. This can be accessed from any device that has a web browser and internet connection.

2) RV Life, a mobile app that will allow you to do real time RV Friendly turn-by-turn offline navigation. This can be downloaded and installed on your mobile device from your app store. Trips created on RV Trip Wizard will sync with RV Life.

3) Maintain My RV, a web-based application that allows you to record and get maintenance reminders for your RV. Logon at www.maintainmyrv.com

All products come with a single subscription and all use the same logon credentials.

In addition we have campgroundreviews.com, a crowd sourced review of over 20,000 campgrounds. There is no cost for this product. You can use your RV Trip Wizard credentials to login here as well.

Once you have subscribed ignore any additional requests for payment and logon with your credentials.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sue - RV Trip Wizard Support Team
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 02-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Looks like we missed each other by about a week at Glacier NP. We left East Glacier KOA on the 22nd of June heading to Devils Tower/Rushmore etc..........
After leaving West Glacier KOA we arrived at East Glacier KOA (St. Marys) 7/2 and left 7/4 and them we pretty much made the same stops as you Little Bighorn, Devils Tower, Rushmore and then drove the MH through Badlands NP then started heading back towards Florida. Amazing how close our travels in 2019 were.

The support person told me they would 'grandfather' members who didn't let their membership to RV Life Pro to lapse.
-Russ
Old 03-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #30

I just tried the demo and I see it routes from Arkansas to Georgia via Dayton, Ohio (with no apparent waypoint forcing that decision).

Is the routing in the paid product this bad? I'd like to try the 7-day trial to coincide with an upcoming trip so I can't just jump into that yet but if this is any indication, it's going to be a no from me.

Edit: also nearly 2,000 miles from Texas to Arkansas:

EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBuckeye View Post
I just tried the demo and I see it routes from Arkansas to Georgia via Dayton, Ohio (with no apparent waypoint forcing that decision).

Is the routing in the paid product this bad? I'd like to try the 7-day trial to coincide with an upcoming trip so I can't just jump into that yet but if this is any indication, it's going to be a no from me.

Can’t see your whole trip but there has to be something wrong in you trip list. I’ve used this for years and when something like this happens I somehow added a waypoint at the end of my list or something like that.

This is not indicative of how it works. Double check your trip stops...

After looking at your map it has routed all over the place! Close the program and restart it... I’ve never had that happen and have used for several years..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #32

The only thing I can think of that would cause that is a waypoint. As of last week, they were broken. There could be waypoints in effect but you can't see them in the stop list on the left, nor delete them. Oddly, they're visible at some points but not others.

It was acknowledged as a bug that has there attention of the developers.

OP, don't write off RVTW on the basis of that behavior. It's worth waiting until it's fixed.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #33

Quote:

I have used RV Trip wizard for several trips over the last few years and never had a routing problem like that unless I had messed up and added a waypoint in error. I would suggest start a whole new trip and see if it acts better.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:59 PM   #34

I have also used RV Trip Wizard for years and have not had any routing issues. My trip routes are normally the most direct route. When I created a trip from FL to Richmond, VA to Bethlehem, PA the Richmond to PA leg would route me around DC to Baltimore and then Philly to Bethlehem, the most direct route. I don't want to go thru DC, Baltimore and Philly areas so I just use the 'Drag' feature to drag my route up RT 17 (north of Richmond) over to I81 and run in to Bethlehem via Harrisburg to RT78. The drag feature is great for me to adjust the route to my prefer route.

I suspect it is just a glitch in the 'Demo' version. As suggested by DougW, you might want to close the website and go back in and start a new trip.
-Russ
Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #35

Thanks for providing comfort that this isn't typical behavior. Since it's just the demo, I can't modify the route myself or see what might be happening - but, man, it's not a good way to demo your product! I'll give the free trial a shot this weekend.
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for providing comfort that this isn't typical behavior. Since it's just the demo, I can't modify the route myself or see what might be happening - but, man, it's not a good way to demo your product! I'll give the free trial a shot this weekend.
RVTW has a support forum in iRV2.com. It's a different site owned by Social Knowledge, operators of this site. Your user ID and password from this site work on that site.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=287

They also publish RVTripWizard.com and CampgroundReviews.com, the related site that hosts the content used in RVTW.

RVTW is available as a phone app, RV Life. It gets a compiled version of your trip for use on the road and includes an RV GPS/route planner. Using RV Life, you can jump to a mobile version of the RVTW site to modify your trip, if you want.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #37

I have RV Live Pro subscription and RV Tripwizard is a part of the service. So far I find Tripwizard extremely glitchy and frustrating. The most important feature I wanted in a trip planner app was the ability to prescribe desired miles or hours of travel per day. The tripwizard method for this, as best I can tell, is the driving radius. It doesn't work. The picture shows three different color circles of some unspecified criteria, but the app I have only has one. Getting the circle to surround the starting point is another mystery to me. Sometimes its one place, sometimes another. I would have also preferred to be able to put in miles, instead of hours per day. So, unless I am doing something wrong, which is very possible, I find the planner almost worthless, other than it does show the campgrounds. It's also not very intuitive, as I've spent a lot of hours playing around with it, and still am not comfortable with it.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
I have RV Live Pro subscription and RV Tripwizard is a part of the service. So far I find Tripwizard extremely glitchy and frustrating. The most important feature I wanted in a trip planner app was the ability to prescribe desired miles or hours of travel per day. The tripwizard method for this, as best I can tell, is the driving radius. It doesn't work. The picture shows three different color circles of some unspecified criteria, but the app I have only has one. Getting the circle to surround the starting point is another mystery to me. Sometimes its one place, sometimes another. I would have also preferred to be able to put in miles, instead of hours per day. So, unless I am doing something wrong, which is very possible, I find the planner almost worthless, other than it does show the campgrounds. It's also not very intuitive, as I've spent a lot of hours playing around with it, and still am not comfortable with it.
You need to setup all these things in settings. Open your trip. In the trip list in the top corner is a wrench symbol. Press that and a list of options will drop down. Select settings. From setting you can define trip distance set ring distances, etc.

The rings always surround the stop you select. Either select a stop on your trip list or select the waypoint on the map. The rings will emanate from there.

I think once you get to setting it will make more sense.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #39

Well thank you. That actually worked, for the most part. I had set the settings, but didn't think to click on the stop list on the left side. I was trying to hover or click on the stop on the map which I wasn't able to get to work. I don't care because it works. Although I still only have one ring. Not sure what the three rings were supposed to do anyway. But nice to be able to ask a question on this forum and in minutes have a good answer. I spend most of my time on the Dynamax thread but figured this was more general. Thank you sir, and happy travels.
Hal the "Invisibllman"

Old 03-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #40

Oh BTW, I was just planning a trip for 2022 and logged a stop at The Great Outdoors RV and Golf Resort near the space center area. Noticed your location as Space Coast of Florida. Maybe bump into you next year. First round's on me.