Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Well thank you. That actually worked, for the most part. I had set the settings, but didn't think to click on the stop list on the left side. I was trying to hover or click on the stop on the map which I wasn't able to get to work. I don't care because it works. Although I still only have one ring. Not sure what the three rings were supposed to do anyway. But nice to be able to ask a question on this forum and in minutes have a good answer. I spend most of my time on the Dynamax thread but figured this was more general. Thank you sir, and happy travels.
Hal the "Invisibllman"
Go back to settings and go to the routing and driving tab and scroll down to the bottom. It will allow you to put in your own radius distances. There are two types of radius. One being circles (as the crow flies) and the other motor accurate to actual miles. I use the actual miles.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #42

Well I'll be damned, there it is. Thank you once again, sir. That's two, on me.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
... There are two types of radius. One being circles (as the crow flies) and the other motor accurate to actual miles. I use the actual miles.
You can also choose a time radius. I don't, but it's an option.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
You can also choose a time radius. I don't, but it's an option.
I use rings as a reference. I like to drive about 300 miles (~6 hrs) a day. With one of the rings being 300 miles I then use that as a point to start researching campgrounds. I also use the advanced driving radius.

I’ve found that my average speed is about 50 mph when taking in 60-65 mph, fuel and rest stops into account. I’ve set the navigation time to that, 50 mph and not the routing engine estimate which is a lot faster than I go because it uses interstate speeds. By inserting and selecting 50 mph when I add stops I can see the time it will take in my trip list.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-11-2021, 11:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Well I'll be damned, there it is. Thank you once again, sir. That's two, on me.
Your welcome but itís not 2 on you. Iíve just been using this program fo a while an just know my way around. Keep asking questions. Iím sure you will love this program once you figure it out.

Just make up a dummy route and then start selecting buttons to see what is available. Iíve used RVTW to plan a 3 month, >7000 mile trip out west. I selected all my campgrounds from within the app and made 90% of my reservations by drilling down the the campground website.

I was able to insert notes on all stops. Once I had a reservation confirmation I put confirmation number reservation field of the stop. This would then show up in y trip list as a calendar symbol showing reservation were made.

Have fun... Don
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
... Once I had a reservation confirmation I put confirmation number reservation field of the stop. This would then show up in y trip list as a calendar symbol showing reservation were made.
I also lock the dates of that stop so I don't inadvertently shift it by inserting something or changing a length of stay before it.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #47

That all good. Thanks.
I'm planning winter 2022 in Florida. I know nothing about it other than I drove from RI to Key West in the mid 70's. And passed through Miami on a cruise. I'm sure its changed. I've been looking at a bunch of short stays at State parks from North to South to get an idea of what's around. I'm traveling with my little sister who is looking at FL for a retirement relocation. Any words of wisdom is welcome. She has friends in that Canaveral space area but other than that no preference. Other than we both want to be warm, so north is probably out, except for seeing the sights.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:12 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I also lock the dates of that stop so I don't inadvertently shift it by inserting something or changing a length of stay before it.
That is a nice new feature that was just added not to long ago...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #49

Do you link the Tripwizard to a GPS nav device?
Which one?
I've been using three nav apps on my Android phone simultaniously.
Sygic truck nav. Very good because can add RV (truck) size, weights etc.
Google Maps, because it's good.
Wyze, to get police and other notifications.
I am looking at the Garmen 890 or 1090. But it uses more dash real estate to have a larger stand alone GPS not to mention cost. I've just recently read about Bluestacks which allows you to run Android apps on a Win10 tablet. That's kink of interesting.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:35 AM   #50

I just realized that the Win10 pc plan with Bluestacks would need an external GPS receiver, which is what the Garmin 18x is ($75) which seems highly rated.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Which one?
I've been using three nav apps on my Android phone simultaniously.
Sygic truck nav. Very good because can add RV (truck) size, weights etc.
Google Maps, because it's good.
Wyze, to get police and other notifications.
I am looking at the Garmen 890 or 1090. But it uses more dash real estate to have a larger stand alone GPS not to mention cost. I've just recently read about Bluestacks which allows you to run Android apps on a Win10 tablet. That's kink of interesting.
I donít use a gps. Have not for years since google maps and Waze. Now I use RVTW to plan my routes and then download this to my phone or iPad via RV Life app. When you sign up for RVTW you will also get the RV Life app to download. There is a tab labeled RVTW. When you open it all your active trips will show up. When you select one it will give you each leg of your trip. It will give you the option to download the map data so you wonít need internet connection while driving. It will also give you the option for an RV safe route or to use google maps, Apple Maps or Waze. I use it with my phone and I have Apple CarPlay that allows me to display it on my F350 7Ē display. Love it...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #52

Quote:
The RV Life app includes an RV navigation GPS. I'm not sure but I think it's using a Google Maps API. You don't need a live phone connection to navigate because you can download the maps for offline use.

You can download your route for use in your GPS (I use a Rand-McNally) but it's really not your route - it's the series of stops. Whatever GPS you load it into creates its own route using those stops and it may differ a little.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #53

I like Google Maps and Waze for traffic congestion avoidance. Not sure if the RV Tripwizard GPS nav does that. Used Sygic trucker nav because it avoided height, weight hazards. That's why I literally ran three different things simultaneously to get all the info I wanted. Maybe RV trip wizard or Garmin does all three? I've never used either so I don't know. I think Google Maps bought Waze, but they still are quite different.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #54

I like Google Maps and Waze for traffic congestion avoidance. Me too..Not sure if the RV Tripwizard GPS nav does that. Rvtripwizard does not have a gps. The gps functions are in the RV Life App. Two different programs. RVTW is a web based program, not an app. RV Life is an app that has the gps function. It actually has 2 gps functions. One allows you to create a trip and it will create an RV safe route based on your RV specs. The other gps function is using the route from RVTW. When using the gps function from your planned RVTW route RV Life will give you several option for routing. An RV safe route (based on RV specs) or other route providers. The others are Waze and Google maps. Apple Maps if youíre an Apple user. As with any program I do not trust ďRV Safe RoutesĒ without checking them. Used Sygic trucker nav because it avoided height, weight hazards. That's why I literally ran three different things simultaneously to get all the info I wanted. Maybe RV trip wizard or Garmin does all three? I've never used either so I don't know. I think Google Maps bought Waze, but they still are quite different.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #55

You practically need to be a Phd to get a grip on all this stuff. But I will eventually figure it out, with a little help from my buds on this forum. I barely made it through high school. Fast cars and girls were much higher on the priority list back then.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #56

Quote:
You practically need to be a Phd to get a grip on all this stuff. But I will eventually figure it out, with a little help from my buds on this forum. I barely made it through high school. Fast cars and girls were much higher on the priority list back then.
Keep,asking questions.. I learned long ago folks love to share what they know..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #57

When I read all the information Waze wanted to access on my devices I decided to take my chances with the 'traffic' function on my GPS.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #58

Waze is a great app, knowing about cops and broke down vehicles in advance is a nice feature.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Waze is a great app, knowing about cops and broke down vehicles in advance is a nice feature.
What I like the most is the warning of object IN the road, especially when pulling my 5th wheel.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #60

I'm on day 4 of my 7 day trial and I have not encountered any of the routing glitches I noted in the demo. The drivetime zone calculator is fantastic, and something I haven't seen (and sorely missed) since Microsoft Streets and Trips was around.

I think I'll hang onto it for now and see how it goes once I actually have something to pull behind me - but so far, it's excellent for planning!
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote