Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #21

So much time and money on my Solera that I'd hate to start over with a newer model.
Solar, Dish satellite, rear stabilizer, auto leveling jacks, rear bumper motion sensors, rear night vision camera, custom cab seats w/ lumbar, heat and message (Sprinter seats have no lumbar and were terrible for my bad back.) Roof vent covers, awning side screens, plus all the little cupboard, shelving, bars, hooks,extras......
Probably about 15k- I really don't want to know, it's more a "lifestyle", not really for saving money. It's more about being able to travel easy w/ my beloved dogs.But I've traveled 25,000 mi. In less than 3 yrs. 24 nights so far for 2017. Unwinterizing again today ( for the 3rd time) for NV. tomorrow.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
So much time and money on my Solera that I'd hate to start over with a newer model.
Solar, Dish satellite, rear stabilizer, auto leveling jacks, rear bumper motion sensors, rear night vision camera, custom cab seats w/ lumbar, heat and message (Sprinter seats have no lumbar and were terrible for my bad back.) Roof vent covers, awning side screens, plus all the little cupboard, shelving, bars, hooks,extras......
Probably about 15k- I really don't want to know, it's more a "lifestyle", not really for saving money. It's more about being able to travel easy w/ my beloved dogs.

All about comfort and convenience I get that, basically why I did mine and some will go with me on next unit some will stay but I am only upgrading one more time then done.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Curious to see how much time and money ppl will put into their brand new or used RV's?. We just bought a used Crusader 2013 295RST Touring Edition and here is what I am doing and have done so far.

50 AMP dedicated circuit at house for Crusader - Installed Already - $275

Maxxair Fan with Remote above Kitchen, too high to use a non remote fan. - $190

2nd AC in Bedroom job vented using Atwood Air Command 13.5 with Remote - $800

New Kitchen Faucet and Soap Dispenser - $100

Progressive EMS 50 AMP - $315

Led Bulbs Inside - $125

RV Locks Combo Entry Lock - Installed already - 215

Replaced Shurflo Water Pump with same 4008 model but new Pump, strainer and Lines/connections - Installed already - $75

New Stainless Steel outdoor latches - $15

New Black Baggage Door Magnetic Catches - $5

5 New Carlisle HD 225/75/15 Tires - $400

Approx a total of $2,300.00 AC took up most of the funds.

These are upgrades we felt will give us ease of use and the most bang for the buck. AC was most of the $ and I did some of them to make my life easier.

I am just curious roughly how much ppl will do and how long you keep your unit. We bought this one with the intent to get 3-5 years out of it trying to be safe and have it function as well as we can.

Previous Owners upgraded Living room TV with 39 Vizio and 32" Vizio in Bedroom.
Great price on the tires. Was that mounted and balanced?

I like your choice of upgrades. When will the solar go on the roof? You missed that in the list.

Was the air conditioner a replacement or add one? And was that an installed price?

Good luck. Hope you enjoy your rv.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #24

Hughes Autoformer
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Hughes Autoformer

I forgot to list that one...

Now does that fall under the category of camper upgrade or miscellaneous gear? [emoji846]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #26

$2,550 for disk brakes. Best upgrade possible.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
$2,550 for disk brakes. Best upgrade possible.

I agree
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #28

A lot of pros say...if the compressor dims the lights when starting or TRYING to start...then you should add a hard start kit. Less amps start or run is better.

There is plenty to read on this subject on the web.

The old saying was scroll compressors don't use start capacitors(hard start), but I have seen them factory installed on systems...funny, usually higher SEER units.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Great price on the tires. Was that mounted and balanced?

I like your choice of upgrades. When will the solar go on the roof? You missed that in the list.

Was the air conditioner a replacement or add one? And was that an installed price?

Good luck. Hope you enjoy your rv.

Carlisle tires installed and mounted for that Price. Buying from Discount Tire and local STS is mounting.

AC is additional bc PPL say the Crusader 295's rear unit is not enough and we are going to be camping in mostly warm sun of Southern states. Atwood Air Command they gave me for same price as Amazon $639 plus 1.25 hours to install and tax it was $823.00, got the interior LCD drop down display control and wireless remote. It just went in the vent hole above bed where they pulled a vent and I had pre-wiring from MFG already.

No reason for solar, we don't boondocks and I would rather buy two Honda 2000ui's instead [emoji848]
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #30

RV Upgrades What Do You Spend $

For the record I am very frugal not cheap. I agonize over each purchase knowing that I will buy it no matter what. I do shop smart.

Now as far as putting a price out here that I have spent, not. If the DW should read this I am not not gonna give the DW's future lawyer a bigger price point to work with.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I agree

I would do that if I had a heavy unit like a Toy hauler but mine loaded with all our gear is shy of 9500#'s and I have a 2016 F350 PSD so I am well under capacity both Payload and Max Tow.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #32

RV Upgrades What Do You Spend $

Replaced converter with progressive dynamics

Progressive industries ems

Hard start capacitor

Morryde HD shackles with wet bolts (huge difference in noise reduction)

LCI equaflex suspension upgrade

3 cooling fans for fridge.

Led lighting in all cabinets and storage with door switches.

Led lighting for awning

B-d battery box locks.

Want to add rack on back bumper but would screw up my BBQ mount on rear bumper.

DW let's me do these things cause it keeps me off of her!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I forgot to list that one...

Now does that fall under the category of camper upgrade or miscellaneous gear? [emoji846]
More like Do Not Leave Home Without It
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #34

Mods and upgrades is a sickness many of us here struggle with on a day basis. I have a new Forester with several thousand dollars in upgrades and mods already and it's not half of what's on my "mods to do list". Lord help me!
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Mods and upgrades is a sickness many of us here struggle with on a day basis. I have a new Forester with several thousand dollars in upgrades and mods already and it's not half of what's on my "mods to do list". Lord help me!

I guess it is a never ending cycle that moves from one trailer to another, Good Luck
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #36

Installed sensors on LP tanks plus tank tires, it's always something. TPMS for truck and camper. Adapter for 50amp cable so cable hangs straight down.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #37

We tend to keep our trailers for a long time and I take the usable stuff out of the old one (that I like) and put it in/on the new one (now going on 4 years old). Not so much that it is cheaper, but, it is tradition to go with the "old" camping stuff where we can, and keep adding a few new things (air compressor) and getting rid of some outdated/non-working things (old compressor). Right now, working on a new bike rack for the inside of the truck. Cost: about $20, since most of the parts are salvaged from stuff I have around like electrical conduit, and plywood. Makes camping more fun to still use stuff from your early days of camping. Had to buy a new toaster, though this past season when the old one finally gave out after more than 75 years. It was a wedding gift to my parents from the 1930's. I am actually going to try and fix it, but, the new toaster will stay camping since it is a lot lighter. When we bought it, turned out we had "store points" and we wound up only spending $1. for it! Still fun to keep traditions, though.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #38

New caps on Ac units
Caps on roof vents
6 Bridgestone R250 tires
Headlight
Starting Battery
Outside LED lights
Inside LED lights
Mattress topper
Grab handle for shower
Shower
Kitchen faucet
Toilet (warranty)
12v outlets
Progressive 50a EMS
Windshield wipers
Windshield cover
Window tint
Inside wall insulation in cabinets.
Vacuum cleaner
Induction hot plate.
Ice maker (2)

I dont want to know the cost of this stuff!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
We tend to keep our trailers for a long time and I take the usable stuff out of the old one (that I like) and put it in/on the new one (now going on 4 years old). Not so much that it is cheaper, but, it is tradition to go with the "old" camping stuff where we can, and keep adding a few new things (air compressor) and getting rid of some outdated/non-working things (old compressor). Right now, working on a new bike rack for the inside of the truck. Cost: about $20, since most of the parts are salvaged from stuff I have around like electrical conduit, and plywood. Makes camping more fun to still use stuff from your early days of camping. Had to buy a new toaster, though this past season when the old one finally gave out after more than 75 years. It was a wedding gift to my parents from the 1930's. I am actually going to try and fix it, but, the new toaster will stay camping since it is a lot lighter. When we bought it, turned out we had "store points" and we wound up only spending $1. for it! Still fun to keep traditions, though.
So, no warranty left on the old toaster?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #40

Well, on the toaster, not since Detroit Edison quit fixing appliances for free! They used to do that back in the 50's and 60's and also gave away free light bulb replacements. Just bring in your old bulbs and trade them in for new ones. For appliances you just paid for the new materials (ours has a new cord) and the fix was free. Some guy who owned a drug store and sold light bulbs said Detroit Edison (now DTE) was hurting his business and sued them to make them stop handing out the lights and fixing appliances. Always someone trying to spoil a good thing and make an extra buck. But the new toaster has a 3 year guarantee so it was definitely worth a buck (toasts pretty well, too).
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade