Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
G23

RV Wannabe

Hope this is the right place to post this. I'm new to the forum although I've been a "lurker" for sometime. My wife and I are RV owner wannabes right now but have been seriously looking for over a year now. We don't have a tow veichle yet but would be 1st timers so I wanted to keep it simple.

The primary use would be to dog shows as we have a small breed we train and show from time-to-time. We had pretty much decided on a travel trailer and the 235 RKS model but after going to our local RV show this weekend, are questioning whether it would be big enough. The problem is that my wife "really" likes the King Bed feature but wants more room (width) wise so we don't trip over each other and the dogs.

So here's my question .... I want to stay in the Forest River brand area and like the small weight for our first RV. The SV 291 seems like an option but does not have the King bed. I'd like NOT to go above 30' if possible. Has anyone upgraded the queen to a king? Any and all advice for a newbie would be appriciated and not just on the upgrade to the bed.
G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #2

In my opinion even some of the biggest RV's get very crowded with a king bed. If you don't plan to live in it I would personally go with a queen.

What do you plan to buy for a tow vehicle?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
G23

Newbie RV

Looking at a Dodge RAM 2500. Diesel would be great if I can afford it. Might be overkill but still have to weigh price versus towing power, etc. I've been looking at this forum so have a good idea of what to watch for in respect to the "correct" specs.
G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23 View Post
Hope this is the right place to post this. I'm new to the forum although I've been a "lurker" for sometime. My wife and I are RV owner wannabes right now but have been seriously looking for over a year now. We don't have a tow veichle yet but would be 1st timers so I wanted to keep it simple.

The primary use would be to dog shows as we have a small breed we train and show from time-to-time. We had pretty much decided on a travel trailer and the 235 RKS model but after going to our local RV show this weekend, are questioning whether it would be big enough. The problem is that my wife "really" likes the King Bed feature but wants more room (width) wise so we don't trip over each other and the dogs.

So here's my question .... I want to stay in the Forest River brand area and like the small weight for our first RV. The SV 291 seems like an option but does not have the King bed. I'd like NOT to go above 30' if possible. Has anyone upgraded the queen to a king? Any and all advice for a newbie would be appriciated and not just on the upgrade to the bed.
First off, to FRF. This is a good place to start with your first post. From what I have seen, if the TT comes with a queen then chances are there may not be any room for a king. An RV queen size bed came with my camper and we changed it out for a standard queen, from side to side it was ok but I had to add to the bed platform because the standard queen is a little longer and with that said there is a wall at the end of the bed where the door way is to the bathroom, the space between the end of the bed and the wall is now a little tighter. If your wife wants a bigger bed then you may have to go with a camper that is set up with a king. Good luck.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The king bed size crowding issue is not a factor in the 235RKS as it is a rear slide. We have this model and love it. Tons of usability for the length and weight. And lots of storage up front where the dual bunks are. The bathroom is a little cramped and cabinet storage is light. If I traded this model for another, it would be the 264 (also Surveyor). But then not sure where I would put dog kennels, telescope, bicycle, lounge chairs, yadda, yadda . . that go in the front of our 235. The short length of the 235 is a big advantage in many campgrounds where sites can be small; state parks, national forest service, etc. . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can't tow the trailer with the dogs in it because you won't have heat or air while traveling. Don't know how many dogs you may be taking at a time, so that may change your tow vehicle. Also if camping in the parking lot, you will be dry camping, so you'll be towing with fresh water in the tanks, so add that in your weight calculations. You will also want a generator to run to run the AC, so add that to your trailer weight also. Hope this gives you something more to think about before you purchase.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #7

If you are showing 1 small dog your choice is fine. We show up to 3 and we opted for a 36 foot 5th wheel. We got a king bed and my wife hates it. Takes up too much room and is hard to make. Also, consider the fact you may be dry camping if you stay on show grounds and you need a TT that can handle that. Palm Springs wanted $40/site and they required the TT and the car, so it was 2 sites or $80/night and you were dry camping. A nearby park charged $58 for full hook ups. The show coming up in Scottsdale, AZ is similar, except they provide water and electricity. Site fees are moderate, but dumping is at one location, so you have to drive to it or they want $40 for a truck to come to you. It is a 5 day show, so you will have at least 2 dumps. We are again looking off site.

Good luck,

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote