Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
I checked with Camping World for the Good Sam Rand McNally GPS with LMT and could not find any. They have LM only. We have tried all kinds of GPS and for RVing, we find the Garmin 760RV LMT. It has lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. It can change from RV to regular vehicle. It is also voice activated and has many features that are exclusively for RVs - RV friendly roads, low bridges, etc. Love the 760. Best for RVs.

Rand McNally gets up to date traffic thru wifi which is current. LM is lifetime maps.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #22

Kenwood has also come out with an aftermarket In Dash Navigation Headunit (Featuring Garmin software for Trucks/RVs). DNX571TR is the model number.

It's pricey (currently 1100 on Crutchfield), but if you are want an In Dash unit and Garmin software, it's available.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I also really like my garmin RV 760lmt. It has served me well so far. I like that I can program in height, width, length and weight. I can switch it to car mode too. It has traffic alerts and alternate routes around the traffic. The only downside is it is so big. I would prefer if they offered this in a 5".
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I also really like my garmin RV 760lmt. It has served me well so far. I like that I can program in height, width, length and weight. I can switch it to car mode too. It has traffic alerts and alternate routes around the traffic. The only downside is it is so big. I would prefer if they offered this in a 5".
They do have the 660LMT, which is 6", but that's the only other offering.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #25
Campground host Mo. State

Rand McNally works great, if you program it right I made two mistakes when I first bought mine I told it to avoid Interstates, it took me through every farm road in Nebraska then I put in the wrong Height of our camper, and it took me off at every overpass to avoid it. Can you say stupid?
Photogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
They do have the 660LMT, which is 6", but that's the only other offering.
Yeah I know. I bought mine online and the 6" was more expensive at that time. I didn't really think about the challenges the size provides.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #27

Guess I am the only one that likes the Magellan. Does everything all the others do. I have used this brand since they went on the market. Even worked in Cass WV!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #28

There is a great truck stop app on Android called TRUCKER PATH. It shows truck stops by name and rest stops on a Google Maps format.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #29

RV GPS

Been using the Rand McNally model 7715 with LTM for the last two years and love it. Gives you lots of options in setup, including dimensions of your RV etc. Has the option to change to car if you want to use it as such. Automatically blocks U turns when set up as RV mode. Did a 14000KM trip this summer to the Arctic Coast and back and it was wonderful. I've owned lots of GPS units over the years and they all have the odd " route bug" but overalls it's very reliable. Like the easy to read 7" screen. I'd advise buying the sun visor accessory to shade the screen from bright sun.......makes it easier to read.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #30

Garmin RV 660 LMT

Anyone have real life experience with the Garmin RV 660 LMT. I think it's the one I'm leaning towards purchasing! Have older Garmin GPS not RV type and like it! Would love to read some opinions.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #31
Retired

Great thread....just before Christmas
Old 12-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe the 660 is the latest Garmin Rv GPS . May not be many of them out there.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #33

I've used Garmin in my cars, trucks, boats and aircraft and can't imagine a better unit. My wife's Lexus has a Pioneer unit that really stinks in comparison to any of the Garmin units. If you can trust a GPS in an aircraft, you can trust it anywhere, anytime. IMHO. Tried a Magellan in my son-in-laws truck, but didn't care for it personally.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #34

I use the RV 760 and absolutely love it. Adding to the route to find a place to eat or stay, weather features have kept us out of trouble and the traffic watch will reroute if needed automatically in case of accident or very slow traffic. I also like the speed with school zone feature.

I don't think there are many differences between the 660 and 760.

Do a Google to compare the two units and see if there any differences that would sway your decision,

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I use the RV 760 and absolutely love it. Adding to the route to find a place to eat or stay, weather features have kept us out of trouble and the traffic watch will reroute if needed automatically in case of accident or very slow traffic. I also like the speed with school zone feature.

Do a Google to compare the two units and see if there any differences that would sway your decision,

Phil
You can actually go to the Garmin website click on both units then click on compare... the 660 may have the edge.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #36

I have a 660, I really like the new style screen it makes the display seem bigger. Haven't really used it a lot yet, but I've had a couple other Garmins and I like the new features on this one. But I think the only other difference between the 760 and this might be the grade warning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post

Phil

Does the traffic feature only work around bigger cities? I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and as far as I can tell the traffic feature isn't available everywhere.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #38

It workes everwhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyodie View Post
Does the traffic feature only work around bigger cities? I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and as far as I can tell the traffic feature isn't available everywhere.
I think that means traffic is OK where you are. I have had it activate in rural areas where an accident was closing the road for a while.

Mine will scroll traffic is clear from time to time and even say, "traffic is slow twenty miles ahead, your add ten minutes to your time". Just make sure you have the correct cord, with the antenna, attached.

I like the Yahoo discussion group too. You can ask questions or just read what others are doing and correcting.

I didn't know how to set something while on a trip and used my phone to send an email to the group and had over ten answers in one evening.

By the way, I don't work for Garmin. But, I have come to trust the 760.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #39

Tomsby,

I think yours has a different (better) touch screen soo. I was wondering about the size difference. A large screen is important when driving a large unit. The less time you have to take your eyes off the road the better you are.

I doubt is there is much difference in 6 and 7 inch screen size but smaller than either would start to be a problem for me.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #40

A bit late here I know but, I use the Sygic truck and caravan app for Android. It is standalone and only requires a data (4G or WiFi) connection for initial installation and updates.I have an LG tablet and the app works exceptionally well. Your RV specs are loaded in and the routing takes that into account. It also has a setting that lets it be used for car navigation. Maps and updates are free for life. The only drawback is the pay for traffic but I infrequently use that anyway. If and I do need traffic information I use waze. I find real-time data to be more useful.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote