Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #1

RVs ... an economic indicator?

Hey Yall:
Being new to this forum I can't help but notice how many people are buying new RVs/TTs. The question I have for the longtime members, does it appear to ya'll that what you see now is above average in terms of folks buying units? Is it average or is it below average?

Being in the travel tourism biz myself, I am hoping to hear it seems folks are finallly wanting to spend a little more by buying a RV/TT. If there is more spending on Rvs/TTs, then folks are looking to travel more too. I just don't have the perspective many of you longtime FR friends have. We are getting ours because of an accident and insurance. Otherwise, I would not really be here or buying a new TT. So, I am not a good indicator the economy is picking up.

Thanks for any insight....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

One thing to consider is that more people seem to go camping during bad economic times because its often cheaper than some other leisure activities such as the annual Disney Cruise with the kids.

Sure, some will decide that an $18K trailer is better long term, but many more opt to camp locally and in tents.

I personally think its a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. There may be more trailers sold and more people camping, but at the expense of other travel.

Economically - Not sure how good of an indicator it is. Even assuming it is an indication, is it trailing or leading? Food for thought.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

There were about 8% more RV's sold in 2010 than in 2009 according to a local INDY new broadcast not long ago. Why? Easier to get financing. If looser credit = good economy, then yes it's getting better. I live north of INDY in the 'richest' county in the state and there are still several vacant homes in my neighborhood. The big banks and Fannie and Freddie are sitting on hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of vacant homes across the country. Not for sale, just sitting empty. I personally think it will be better when there are people in these homes.

Also, there are a lot of people that buy a TT and don't even have a truck to travel with. They have them delivered right to their campground. So I wouldn't look at TT sales as travel indicator.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

Here in the Detroit area I haven't seen any economic slowdowns based on the parking lots at restaurant and malls. The recent RV show we went to was packed with people and many were signing deals. However in my line of work I have noticed many customers closing or farming out their work and many consolidations. I guess what I am trying to say is if there is an economic issue folks around here are still spending.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

I only buy new trailers. We dont like to buy a second hand trailers. The price between a new and a second one is sometime very small. Have you noticed when you look in the second hands units the interieur smell of these trailers. Also buying a trailer is a good investment. The resale value is high compare to your vehicle that looses thousands of dollars the first year.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

the wife an i are not rich but are doing good we bought our campr new in 06 and are one of those who have their campers delivered to a perm seasonal site we love it while we could not afford the price of a lake home for seasonal recreation prices in 200,000 dollar area we can afford a real nice camper and our yearly lot rent to have a great lake lot in our own rig each persons camping choices are diffrent
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #7

The RV industry seems to be on the up-tic. It is a much cheaper way to travel. I use mine when I'm out of town working as well as family outings. I know of some people who bought RVs and are in the process of walking away from there homes because of what happening in the market. Its no secret that it is tough times for a lot of people and an RV is a great back up plan.
Also what I have learned in the last couple of years(in this economy) is that all this stuff doesn't matter. People are feed up with the cost of living the extremely high taxes and are figuring out that the RV life style ain't so bad. My wife and I have been looking for a different RV so that if the economy continues on this path we will pack up the kids and hit the road and people I talk to at the RV shows are saying the same thing.
I know of a person that just bought a Windjammer 3065 to live in as he works as a military contractor. Sound to me like he's got it all figured out.

Just My 2 cent

Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD QC King Ranch
2006 Titanium 36E41MPRV Loaded
SoundMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #8

I really think what you are seeing is a regional phenoma. Here is the far west Unemployment is still way more than 10%. And that is only the official number. Personally I may be working, but my gross monthly income is about 50% of what it used to be. I see for sale houses at an all time high, incomes at an all time low. I just wiped out most of my 401K to pay off a truck I could not sell to tow a trailer I cannot sell. I am living in a way too large house that I cannot sell. So no I see the economy the worst in my lifetime and probably worse than "The Great Depression" of the 30's. But then again I live in a state that places the environment above family wage jobs.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #9

I bought mine because I was tired of the "Disney" type vacations.
My girls are getting older (8 and 11) and I wanted to spend more quality time with them over the summer verse a one week vacation.
I can spend almost every weekend camping and boating (skiing) with them.

I figured the camper and boat cost will break even over the next 10 years in terms of what I would have spent if I continued the Disney style vacations.

So I am not an indicator either, just a person with different priorities now.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
I only buy new trailers. We dont like to buy a second hand trailers. The price between a new and a second one is sometime very small. Have you noticed when you look in the second hands units the interieur smell of these trailers. Also buying a trailer is a good investment. The resale value is high compare to your vehicle that looses thousands of dollars the first year.
Unless of course everyone were to subscribe to your ideals.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I don't really know if the economy is "better" than it was. I think the increase in RV sales is more a function of the Baby Boomers beginning to hit the road and the investments that the Boomers have are currently doing well so that they (we) are feeling better about biting off a big expense. I also think that much of the uptick in RV's has been because people are finding that it is a cheaper form of vacation. Europe is out of the question for most because the airfares are so high and with the declining US dollar, any travel there is way too costly.

Here in our area we never got in on the boom so we really haven't seen the bust. Foreclosures are few and far between and our housing prices have risen slightly. For the clients that have been in so far this tax season I have seen fewer with unemployment benefits than I have in the last few years. Maybe things are a little bit better, but I don't see the end of the Recession in spite of what the politicians say.