Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Salem Cruise lite-1st big trip & lots of issues

I am grateful to this site for helping us navigate the TT world. Took our first 3 week trip up California Hwy 395 to Oregon for eclipse, etc. A great adventure but we had a lot go wrong:

1) Fresh H20 tank filled when hooked up to City water 2)Dometic A/C would shut off and not turn back on whether set to Auto or not 3) tongue jack wiring screwed up 4) black tank sensor not working right AND last but not least 5) our slide out broke and was stuck in the Out position.

Thanks to Coach Net support over the phone I was able to use the ridiculous manual override system (not a crank like one would hope) to get the slide out back in. We cut our trip short by a few days at that point.

Took the TT back to dealer for service and there it sits. Still waiting for a tech to call to get the ball rolling but they are 2 weeks out on that. I am certain it will be there for at least a month or two. Just glad to have this site to educate me and also make me realize I am not alone in this.
Tammyjenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

You are not alone. Just picked up 2018 Coachmen Apex 249. Took it to local campground for shakedown.

Water heater leaked into the salon area, commode valve leaked, shower door leaked, antenna booster not working, bedroom heat vent seems blocked.

Took it back on Mon. and told them need it back Sat. for two-week T-giving gig. Told them if they could at least get the water heater fixed, I could live with the rest for two weeks.

They called today and said ready to go. Not bad for 4 days. Will do a full report after T-giving but think we will really like this unit.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #3

Boy you are lucky. I forgot to mention that hubby wanted to go from campground straight to dealer and drop it off. I knew that wouldn't work LOL. Made an appointment.......for 2 months later UGH! Good luck to you guys on your trip!
Tammyjenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #4

My thinking is that if a dealer sends you home with a unit that turns out to have defects, they owe you the courtesy of placing you at the front of the line to make it right.

Too bad that many of them don't agree with me on that. We are indeed lucky to have found a dealer with a customer-oriented service dept.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My thinking is that if a dealer sends you home with a unit that turns out to have defects, they owe you the courtesy of placing you at the front of the line to make it right.

Too bad that many of them don't agree with me on that. We are indeed lucky to have found a dealer with a customer-oriented service dept.
Agreed.

My experience has been that you have to fight for what is right...as in stuff that should come correct on a brand new trailer.

My dealer squabbled over me calling out an interior dent on the exterior kitchen door. They made a big deal about it and when I showed them their advertisement pics with the dent, they couldn't say much but to replace the door.

They also wanted to charge me $13 for corrosion in one of the the door latches...in a 60 day old unit. They ended up waving the fee after being reminded that the weather for the last 60 days had no rain and I had them explain how corrosion was the customer's problem for the supplier to use inferior products.

All that being said, BE RESPECTFUL OF THE SERVICE MANAGER!. It can go a really long way. If it feels like you're going the extra inch, you could be gaining a mile.

Be courteous, but force them to explain why it's the customer's duty and hold them accountable. Also, let them know that you have a hard set calendar that their awesome (according to them) product revolves around. I purchased my trailer new and expected it to act accordingly. I was excited to go camping and wanted to use my purchase. They can and do have room to work around a new RVer's schedule.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

me too...

had lots of issue's with my Salem Hemisphere....finally got rid of it....
Old 11-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #7

Sorry that you are having all those issues. Hope you get it all fixed soon so you can enjoy your camper.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, salem