Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Salesperson

Some like to play the game,I don't.
How do you do it, I mean how do you get through their thick skulls that I don't go back and forth on negotiation when it comes to buying vehicles?

Case in point I know what my vehicle is worth.
2021 Yukon Denali worth so much.
Sales girl says she will do her best, yeh right!
I make my offer. She goes running back and comes around and says sorry but we need x amount.
I say I gave you my offer that's it.
This happened on a Saturday of a long weekend.
Next day we are 200 miles away and she calls and says she was able to get the manager to meet my price.
I tell her I am travelling and do not intend to return as there are lots of dealers on our route.
She than says oh you didn't tell me that!
I thought you were local!!!

How do you get it through the thick skulls of sales people you don't negotiate back and forth!
I have heard so many sob stories about oh they have to make a living.

I buy a new vehicle every three years and not much patience with sales people.
Highwayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Pretty sure you have convinced her. At least this time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Dealer lots are empty of new vehicles around here, doubt dealers will deal on inventory they don't have.
Demand exceeds their supply and price goes up. Not a good time to negotiate a good deal on a vehicle.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #4

They came back to me.
The vehicle was on the lot ready to go.
I buy when I see what I want I don't order.
No shortage in Canada from what I have seen.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #5

Negotiating is Negotiating, whether you are 'firm' on your offer, or not... people 'say' they are firm all the time, and yet don't mean it - so why should they believe you versus anyone else? Their business is to sell vehicles, not to care whether you 'like' the way they negotiate, or not. Some will be easier, some harder, some are 'firm' themselves, while others haven't sold a vehicle in a while and might be quicker to see your price.

There is no exact 'procedure' to buying anything - you ALWAYS have room to negotiate, even at Walmart. If you don't like that they don't want to, shop elsewhere, if it's that important.
MrPalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Pretty sure you have convinced her. At least this time.
Yeh I guess so.
I'm sure glad my wife enjoys cruising the car lots and finding what we like.
She has a major back problem and that is why we are unable to order a vehicle.
The test drive is what sells it for us once we know the style of vehicle we want.
Cars don't work as for her they are very hard to get out of without a lot of contortions and pain.
We are going from a pickup to an Expedition or Yukon or the like.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
How do you get it through the thick skulls of sales people you don't negotiate back and forth!
ex-sales people in the know have told me that they are required to play that game... Two years ago, I did the exact same thing... gave a reasonable offer, salesman walked away, then a manager of sorts came over to talk to the wife and I about what a deal we were getting at the higher price they wanted... we both pretty much ignored him and when he left we walked out. ON the way home my phone was blowing up with messages from the salesman to please call back. I never did... Two weeks later I bought the same auto from a smaller rural dealer away from the big city. No haggle and I thanked the salesman for not dragging us through the mud...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayguy View Post
Some like to play the game,I don't.

How do you do it, I mean how do you get through their thick skulls that I don't go back and forth on negotiation when it comes to buying vehicles?

Case in point I know what my vehicle is worth.

2021 Yukon Denali worth so much.

Sales girl says she will do her best, yeh right!

I make my offer. She goes running back and comes around and says sorry but we need x amount.

I say I gave you my offer that's it.

This happened on a Saturday of a long weekend.

Next day we are 200 miles away and she calls and says she was able to get the manager to meet my price.

I tell her I am travelling and do not intend to return as there are lots of dealers on our route.

She than says oh you didn't tell me that!

I thought you were local!!!

I buy a new vehicle every three years and not much patience with sales people.
I'm one who likes the game. But I am always ready to walk out the door. I go in prepared and know what price I want and what their cost is. I simply ask what percentage over cost they want and how much over cost I'm willing to go.
If they start hemming and hawwing, I walk.
But I've never been one that is emotionally attached to any vehicle. My priority is price first.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
ex-sales people in the know have told me that they are required to play that game... Two years ago, I did the exact same thing... gave a reasonable offer, salesman walked away, then a manager of sorts came over to talk to the wife and I about what a deal we were getting at the higher price they wanted... we both pretty much ignored him and when he left we walked out. ON the way home my phone was blowing up with messages from the salesman to please call back. I never did... Two weeks later I bought the same auto from a smaller rural dealer away from the big city. No haggle and I thanked the salesman for not dragging us through the mud...
Good for you.
I know sales is how people make a living and I except that. I just wish they would recognize a person who is not comfortable with the sales game.
We bought a new trailer in 2019.
Fantastic salesman!
Old 07-31-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

It's nice when you are not in a rush to buy. I make my offer. If I don't find counter offer to my liking, I smile, tell them to call me when price falls to my offer, and walk.

I've gotten calls back a month or more later offering to meet my price. I'm cool with that.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #11

I always try to find the name of the person with authority before I go in. Sometimes it is the fleet manager and sometimes the owner. I usually go in with quotes from several dealers on exactly what I want often this is as simple as an email correspondence listing exactly what I want. I am willing to pay a bit more to the "local" dealer, but the local dealer does not know that. I get prices from dealers further away prior to going to the local folks. The sales person is often uneducated on their product, lacks authority to make a decision, and will give misleading information out of ignorance or uncaring to make the sale.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #12
Defender of America

Went to the dealer yesterday to have my truck serviced. While waiting I walked around the lot. Every vehicle had a second sticker next to the one detailing all the options and prices. It read "market adjustment" and added $3000 to the price. And hardly any inventory. Don't see any great deals for anyone in the near future. Just my observations.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #13

If you don’t want to negotiate then go with the first offer they give you boom it’s done you have new car . Let me guess you won’t go for that because you don’t want to leave any money on the table. When you walk in and tell them what your willing to pay and what your willing to accept for your trade it’s you started the negotiation
Second as mentioned earlier, she probably knows now, but since you don’t plan on returning. You have to convince the next salesman your serious. Not only will staying with one dealership/ salesman help them understand you don’t negotiate your loyalty will help you get a better deal.

Second nobody and I mean nobody likes to leave money on the table. If dealership can get sticker for their car and pay as little as possible for yours they will. Like my grandfather told me once when he was selling his own car. He was asking $3500 it might have been worth half that. When I asked why so high he said because you can’t ask for more once the deal is done.

Third and finally it’s best to sell your car/ trade but more of a pain. You usually get more for it and now the negotiation is strictly about the new vehicle. Used cars are a risk and a blessing to dealership. It’s only fair to expect them to make money off of your car and they USUALLY do. However it’s still risky and Kelly blue book and NADA while good reference aren’t accurate because of how dealers do trades. Especially when hiding negative equity. Great example co worker bought a new charger last year but she had only had her current car 6 months and the car before that maybe a year. So she had two cars worth of negative equity. First dealership she went too dropped the price of their car but gave her book on her car about 10k upside down. So she mad that they won’t give her what she owes and interest rate is higher because she financing around around 110% percent of car value. He snapped pics of forms and asked what I thought since I sold cars once. I told her hard to say because I knew her situation but I didn’t know value of her car. So she walked I took her to different dealership next weekend they loaded her trade in to show her they gave her what she owed. Took nothing off of her car financing still high payment $2 more a month but she happy because she got what she wanted on trade
Old 08-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #14

double post
Old 08-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #15

I bought my Ram online, never saw the truck, a salesperson or the dealership until I traveled to Idaho to sign papers and take delivery.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #16
Brake is on left

I just walk out if they don't agree to what I offer. Never been in a dealership for more than 90 minutes including financing. Which I only did through one dealer. I've walked out several times. When I bought a Wrangler I walked out and literally across the street to another dealer that had the same one in a different color. Offered them the same and told them I just left the other dealer. They whipped out a pen and sales contract before I could sit. As I left, I drove across the street and waved at the salesman
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote