Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Satellite Dish for your RV Winegard RM-DM61

Hi All.
As usual I have a question and like to hear from everyone on what they thing and have installed.

I'm considering installing a satellite dish in my 5th wheel. I have seen the Cubes and portable ones but I kind of like the roof mounted one from Wineguard.

Winegard RM-DM61

This can replace my existing food antenna location and will have both SAT and Over the Air antennas combined. Price is about $200-$260.

Has anyone used this antenna?
What do you think?
What Sat. Company do you use?

Your thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard%20RM-DM61.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	5886  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I don't have that particular antenna but do have a Winegard Dome and I will say it has worked flawlessly since day one. We've had it since March 2007. We have DirecTV with a TIVO Unit, same as what we have at home. Only cost us as an additional room $5-$6 / Month. The DVR service is one flat fee for the our entire Service. We've been very pleased with DirecTV.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Iggy, with a basically stationary sat. antenna (I know you can change the elevation and azimuth), I would think you would have to watch where you park your fifth-wheel, so you can get a fairly clear view of the southern sky at the azimuth you need.

If there was one big tree blocking your view, even though you can turn the dish, it would still interfere with your signal. You would have to watch where you park your camper each time to make sure you get a good line-of-sight of the southern horizon at the specific azimuth needed. As long as parked in open campgrounds, this wouldn't be a problem.............but if there are obstacles in the line of sight between the dish and satellite, it would be.

That's why a lot of people use the portable dishes, where they can physically move the dish to get a good line of sight to the orbiting satellite. It's easier to move a portable dish, than the whole camper.

Just food for thought. I made a crude drawing of what I am trying to say, as far as line of sight goes. You would need to move the entire trailer to get around the tree blocking your line of sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	line of sight.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	5887  

What if UFO's are just billionaires from other planets?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

[QUOTE=wmtire;
.....That's why a lot of people use the portable dishes, where they can physically move the dish to get a good line of sight to the orbiting satellite......[/QUOTE]

Very good point.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, winegard