Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Satellite for DISH preferences

Hello all. I recently decided to go with DISH as an on the road tv provider. I went with the cheap package of a playmaker with Wally. What Iíve found is that when itís plugged into my camper (2020 cedar creek) that it wonít find signal. My buddy with this same setup says that itís too many connections for the signal to get thru so he ended up running an hdmi cable along the bottom of his camper and drilled and caulked it into his living room tv. I have a hard time believing this is what everyone does, so whatíre the better options? Would a tail gator, pathway x2, or an actual dish get us more power to get through the camper wiring? Otherwise why sell campers with options that are worthless. Also many of my channels arenít HD, including local channels. Is it possible that a better satellite helps these options too? Iíd spend the money if it solves my problems. Thanks for ALL opinions
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #2

We have the Winegard Pathway X2 and a Wally, the only way I got it to work was by running a dedicated coax from the Wally to the dish. Your buddy is right, the connections in the RRV are simply not set up for a satellite system.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #3

I've helped several friends with this problem. Sometime we have to resort to running a new straight shot line, but usually we can find the splitters (usually behind a coax outlet) and either combine cables directly for a straight shot (bypass splitter), or replace the splitter with a good quality splitter with power pass through. Either way works.
Getting a new portable sat dish will not help with a no signal problem due to coax splitter(s).
My covid camping buddy has a Playmaker and gets all the HD channels, so check to ensure you are seeing the HD satellite (no line of site blockage).
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #4

flat coax

Check amazon for a flat section of coax. I run mine out the screen and window with both shut. The playmaker gets power over the coax so you need a direct link from the wally to the dish. Works great, dont have to compromise the cabinn
jentwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Hello all. I recently decided to go with DISH as an on the road tv provider. I went with the cheap package of a playmaker with Wally. What Iíve found is that when itís plugged into my camper (2020 cedar creek) that it wonít find signal. My buddy with this same setup says that itís too many connections for the signal to get thru so he ended up running an hdmi cable along the bottom of his camper and drilled and caulked it into his living room tv. I have a hard time believing this is what everyone does, so whatíre the better options? Would a tail gator, pathway x2, or an actual dish get us more power to get through the camper wiring? Otherwise why sell campers with options that are worthless. Also many of my channels arenít HD, including local channels. Is it possible that a better satellite helps these options too? Iíd spend the money if it solves my problems. Thanks for ALL opinions

Hold on, your buddy is dead wrong. I have the same RV and same year and I run two Sat Dishes on mine, one on the roof and other on the ground. Playmaker on the Roof and Winegard Pathway on the ground, no issues whatsoever. You probably have the Sat plugged into the wrong connector outside or the wrong one inside to your receiver. You want the connector that is labeled Cable/Sat outside and the one that is on the Amplifier plate inside with the Amp turned OFF. The one above it marked Sat is for the Roof cable. If you pull the wall plates out you will find a Grey cable on the Amplifier plate connector and a Purple cable on the one above by itself. Unless you are going to put a dish on the roof like I did you don't need to worry about the Purple cable at all. I have the Wally Receiver and using it with both dishes all the time.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

Locals usually have an SD channel and an HD channel. Look through the guide to find the HD local channels. Sometimes in the 1000+ range.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #7

Hooked up my Playmaker and Walley that we purchased in January this past week. Everything worked fine as I have Livingroom and a Bedroom Sat connection in my wet bay. Must not have any splitters?
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
We have the Winegard Pathway X2 and a Wally, the only way I got it to work was by running a dedicated coax from the Wally to the dish. Your buddy is right, the connections in the RRV are simply not set up for a satellite system.

Why did you choose the pathway over playmaker? Pretty big price point difference
Old 08-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Hold on, your buddy is dead wrong. I have the same RV and same year and I run two Sat Dishes on mine, one on the roof and other on the ground. Playmaker on the Roof and Winegard Pathway on the ground, no issues whatsoever. You probably have the Sat plugged into the wrong connector outside or the wrong one inside to your receiver. You want the connector that is labeled Cable/Sat outside and the one that is on the Amplifier plate inside with the Amp turned OFF. The one above it marked Sat is for the Roof cable. If you pull the wall plates out you will find a Grey cable on the Amplifier plate connector and a Purple cable on the one above by itself. Unless you are going to put a dish on the roof like I did you don't need to worry about the Purple cable at all. I have the Wally Receiver and using it with both dishes all the time.

You were correct! So dumb to label in the wet bay ďsatellite living roomĒ and then behind the ďsatelite dish living roomĒ and have them not be the same. Took covers off and matched wires and got reception. Thank you. Now to my HD problems lol
Old 08-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Locals usually have an SD channel and an HD channel. Look through the guide to find the HD local channels. Sometimes in the 1000+ range.

Iíll check this out but I donít believe so. I just feel Iím not getting about 60% of HD channels total
Old 08-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Iíll check this out but I donít believe so. I just feel Iím not getting about 60% of HD channels total
HD comes from one satellite, last I heard. So if you are getting some, then others you believe to be missing are due to the channel package you bought perhaps
Well, it appears that for the western arc, that most HD channels come from satellite 129, but there are a few HD channels on other satellites.
Eastern arc looks like 61.5 and maybe 72.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Why did you choose the pathway over playmaker? Pretty big price point difference
It has been several years but, as I remember, at the time the Pathway had better signal capabilities and it would do both eastern arc and western arc satellites, playmaker would do either eastern or western but not both. Having the eastern arc satellites was a big difference as we are in the northeast part of the USA.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #13

You need a dedicated coax from the satellite antenna to each receiver. You can’t use the outside cable connection because it goes to the amplifier and has T-splitters.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
It has been several years but, as I remember, at the time the Pathway had better signal capabilities and it would do both eastern arc and western arc satellites, playmaker would do either eastern or western but not both. Having the eastern arc satellites was a big difference as we are in the northeast part of the USA.

Pathway does have better or more Satelight capability then a playmaker. A playmaker canít pick up as many sates. Such as 72.7 and 129 a pathway can. Not all stations are HD. So 60% or so is probably correct. If you use a playmaker on the east coast you need to set it to that. I think there are 3 out there depending also if you are picking them all up you might just be getting 1 , the system will still work, but that could be causing your SD also. There is an app from dish that you point to the sky in the south and it will show what Sats are there or if there is any obstacles in your way, easy to use and free you find it at the App Store. Good luck enjoy your TV

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #15

The new King Tailgater Pro covers all satellites not just 110, 119, 129.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #16
Barb

Dish satellite

After several years of fussing with an actual dish/tripod setup, I purchased a Winegard Pathway about 6 years ago. If there's a good south view, it finds the satellites very quickly. I've heard tailgaters are good at finding signals, too, but that the moving parts are plastic and can wear out. Dish network technical support is always extremely helpful in getting me set up if I have any problems at all.
Barbasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Pathway does have better or more Satelight capability then a playmaker. A playmaker canít pick up as many sates. Such as 72.7 and 129 a pathway can. Not all stations are HD. So 60% or so is probably correct. If you use a playmaker on the east coast you need to set it to that.
This is incorrect. The playmaker picks up the same satellites in western arc. And I have used the western arc satellites all up and down the east coast. If I get to the extreme northeast part of the country, I do lose some satellites below the horizon, but still have plenty of channels.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbasper View Post
After several years of fussing with an actual dish/tripod setup, I purchased a Winegard Pathway about 6 years ago. If there's a good south view, it finds the satellites very quickly. I've heard tailgaters are good at finding signals, too, but that the moving parts are plastic and can wear out. Dish network technical support is always extremely helpful in getting me set up if I have any problems at all.
I agree with everything except the Tailgater parts wearing out. Mine is at least 10 years old and still works great. I didn't expect it to last this long, but there it is.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #19

The app is called dish for RV. A very good app for setting your playmaker up just point your phone to the southern sky and it will show you the sats and any obstacles in the signal like trees and buildings.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is incorrect. The playmaker picks up the same satellites.

Sorry but playmaker can not pick up 72.7 call dish.

Tags
lite, satellite