Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Satellite King Quest and Directtv receiver

Hi, I just purchased the King Quest satellite for my rv because I am not able to get tv when I am out camping. Is this product good? And does it work with a Directv receiver? Any help or information is welcomed.
Thedeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

king quest satellite

Good morning. I have the King Quest satellite set up and it works fine. Just make sure it is pointed toward the southern sky (handle on unit pointed north) and generally level. After set up, turn unit on and wait...sometimes up to 4-5 minutes (you can hear the unit searching for the satellite), your done.

Good luck.
Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned the King Quest does work with DirecTV.
It will receive SD (standard definition) channels only, no HD.

I'm surprised you didn't ask your questions BEFORE you bought the dish.
Here's a link to the King web site.
King Quest

There is a video on Camping World's web site that will help you know a little more about the product you purchased too.
Camping World King Quest

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

What receiver are you using with it?
Thedeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

That's setup I use, as said SD only with Direct.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedeez View Post
Hi, I just purchased the King Quest satellite for my rv because I am not able to get tv when I am out camping. Is this product good? And does it work with a Directv receiver? Any help or information is welcomed.
I'm contemplating buying the king quest portable antenna and h24 receiver(s). I understand only SD channels available. I have two tvs in my Georgetown and am wondering how to connect both to the exterior coax connector? I'm also thinking that maybe just connecting to the front tv to the coax run through a window and having the master antennae for local channels. Comments from those with experience with the quest as well as any recommendations are welcome!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
I'm contemplating buying the king quest portable antenna and h24 receiver(s). I understand only SD channels available. I have two tvs in my Georgetown and am wondering how to connect both to the exterior coax connector? I'm also thinking that maybe just connecting to the front tv to the coax run through a window and having the master antennae for local channels. Comments from those with experience with the quest as well as any recommendations are welcome!!
You could go wireless HDMI from the receiver to both TV's. I have the Actiontec gear below and it does work!

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MWT...ords=Actiontec
Old 07-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

I had an ActionTec wireless system. The receiver failed after a few sessions. Bought a IoGear system and the receiver failed after a couple of uses. Very poor quality 120VDC to 5 volt power supplies provided. Awaiting a replacement under warranty. For the 6 ft distance I have a backup HDMI cable. Both the transmitter and receiver should come with 12 VDC to 5 VDC power adapters rather than having to use small inverters (Duracell) as the load requirement is quite small.
In operation, the IoGear system performs better than the Actiontec (Best Buy). Mark Harris , Electrical Engineer
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #9

Being able for my wife to watch the same SD programming as i am doesn't sound worthwhile to me. What would be very usefull is a wireless receiver similar to my wireless mini at home. But since my geni is incompatible with any portable antennae it's not meant to be. Oh well[emoji16]
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Being able for my wife to watch the same SD programming as i am doesn't sound worthwhile to me. What would be very usefull is a wireless receiver similar to my wireless mini at home. But since my geni is incompatible with any portable antennae it's not meant to be. Oh well[emoji16]
???

DirecTV Genie (I have one) works just fine with any satellite that is functional, portable or fixed.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #11

king quest has a listing for compatible receivers hr54 (my geni) isn't on that list. And isn't compatible because it's SWM only.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #12

My HR 24 Directv non DVR receiver works great with most antennas (SD quality) incl my 18 in round on our older Class A and a King auto dome RoadTrip, just takes patience to find the satellites. Low energy requirement and the receiver thru a small inverter requires no 120 VAC for boondocking. My IoGear supports two TVs using HDMI cables and also component video jacks output.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsail View Post
My HR 24 Directv non DVR receiver works great with most antennas (SD quality) incl my 18 in round on our older Class A and a King auto dome RoadTrip, just takes patience to find the satellites. Low energy requirement and the receiver thru a small inverter requires no 120 VAC for boondocking. My IoGear supports two TVs using HDMI cables and also component video jacks output.
Hmmmm, directv customer support tells me the difference between a h24 and hr24 receivers is the hr24 has a dvr. They're both hd which is irrelevant Cuz the quest and all other antennaes other than the dtv slimline at $1600 not including installation are SD only for directv.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
king quest has a listing for compatible receivers hr54 (my geni) isn't on that list. And isn't compatible because it's SWM only.
OK, but you said it genie wasn't compatible with ANY portable antenna. It is. I have a portable slimline and SwM system, and it is portable and it works. Not suggesting it, just clarifying.

These folks are most helpful:

http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=30

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
OK, but you said it genie wasn't compatible with ANY portable antenna. It is. I have a portable slimline and SwM system, and it is portable and it works. Not suggesting it, just clarifying.

These folks are most helpful:

http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=30
Seems you missed my most recent post. Which I corrected by saying other than the slimline.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #16

I've ordered the King Quest antennae and uc1000 controller (access both satellites) Directv says they'll install it and receivers. I think I'll go with the hr24 (dvrs) only cost is $7/ month for each receiver. That way DW can watch any channel she wants to while I'm watching my football games.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Seems you missed my most recent post. Which I corrected by saying other than the slimline.
Also, how do you access the satellites? It's not automatic like mine is going to be to be, is it?[emoji16] How much does yours weigh including the tripod. Bet it's at least 10lbs heavier than mine. Oh, and how many tv's will yours provide service to?

Tags
lite, satellite