Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Saw a bad one yesterday

I was traveling Arizona Hwy 260 north bound yesterday (not towing) and saw a bad wreck between the towns of Strawberry and Pine. The scene had law and fire crews all around it so I couldn't stop and see what really happened. I could see a mangled 5th wheel balled up into some big trees and just the top of a cab of a messed up TV. This is in some bad 6% grade area and could have lost his brakes.
Weekenders out of the Phoenix area come up to play in the mountains and then make a 'Banzai' run back home on Sunday afternoon and there are always a couple wrecks on the main routes going home. North bound traffic isn't bad but the southbound looks like the Indy 500.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #2

We've had 3 rv crashes here in the last 2 weeks in southern Illinois on the interstates.

A motorhome had a flat a few days ago and went into the median, news said the bounding caused a 60 year old woman to be ejected and killed. A 68 year old woman laying on the bed in back bedroom was transported to the hospital with life threatening injuries.
The motorhome doesn't look damaged. I can only assume she was in the passenger seat without a seat belt and went out the side door next to her seat.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

I was up 87 past Pine and Strawberry this last weekend. All I saw were lot's of Elk and pretty forest. But then I like to drive at times that others don't to avoid the craziness. I came through Pine around 8:00 AM southbound, and only saw a car on fire. Crash must have happened later. It is a narrow and steep road.
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
I was up 87 past Pine and Strawberry this last weekend. All I saw were lot's of Elk and pretty forest. But then I like to drive at times that others don't to avoid the craziness. I came through Pine around 8:00 AM southbound, and only saw a car on fire. Crash must have happened later. It is a narrow and steep road.
I was NB around 3:00 pm when I went by the mess. The SB traffic out of Payson down 87 was crazy. I was travelling from Safford to a church camp between Jerome and Prescott taking the scenic route avoiding Phoenix.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

It just shows that you always have to have your head screwed on and electronic distractions put away. Use your seatbelts. I have noticed that they now have seat belts in the passenger area of the motorhomes.

I hope the woman in the motorhome recovers and that no one was seriously hurt in the Arizona accident.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
jkoenig24

LOTS of RVers use "standard" pickup trucks to tow 5th wheel trailers. These 5ers are getting larger and heavier each year. Truck salesmen routinely give inaccurate (if not outright lies) as to what their products can tow legally & safely. Many buyers fail to perform their due diligence BEFORE making the purchase (of either the tow vehicle, trailer, or both). That's just one reason why MDTs & HDTs are more often being purchased. Either class provides a MUCH greater safety margin, especially when BRAKING under less than ideal conditions.

Newbies and want-to-be's; find and attend an RV Boot Camp! The information you learn can save your wallet and possibly your life. The Escapees RV Club offer an EXCELLENT RVBC, often over a weekend. The RVSEF and several other groups also offer RVBCs, some up to a week in length (more social activities included).

LOTS of resources online. USE THEM!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
RetiredRVer

Same circumstances on I-17 going south on Sunday afternoon/evening. I try not to use either hiway at those times.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

I've come to a conclusion that speed is a factor...many times in these situations. Running east on 80 just west of North Platte a week ago at 75 mph. I was passed by some yahoo in a dually pulling a triple axle toy hauler, when I tried to match his speed, I was at 85 and he was still pulling away when I backed off. "Arrive alive" even if it's a few minutes later. I'm also seeing more and more newbie's pulling 30+ footers with no WD hitches or sway control and the hitch sitting 12-18" off the ground and front of the vehicle pointing in the air.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
Scoundrel

Man I hate hearing/reading about these kinds of things. I'm pulling my TT over numerous mountain passes and am always a little on edge going down steep grades. My TV isn't the best but I appreciate the 6-speed manual trans for slower engine braking down hill.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

I hardly used my brakes at all on those 6% grades. Tow/Haul engine braking and a jake brake actually kept me at an appropriate downhill speed. I'm different than some though, I'm never in a hurry to leave the mountains.
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote