Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #61

i found 10 ft. stairs behind a business, on casters, a little rust ,they sat there for a few months . went in ask Mgr. about them and he said they cant be used any more because of a weld broke on handle . i ask can i haul them off? he said yes. They are great for everything up high, roof - rv ,tree trimming, getting on house ,painting. LOOK AROUND.@!
Thomas ho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #62

After climbing 400' towers to replace a light bulb, 13' doesn't bother me one bit. Can't use fall arrest equipment though, would splat on the ground before it fully deployed! LOL

On a side note, sweeping the slides if you don't have retractable awnings is a very good idea before closing them. Leaves and branches can get caught in the roof seal and cause leaks, or worse, damage the seal itself.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #63

All depends who's doing it and their condition. For some of us that have worked at heights all our lives and are in good condition, that is a walk in the park. I've walked beams and climbed towers 100X that tall. Be careful and don't do anything your not comfortable with. Still be careful.
Bwanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #64
Open Space Wanted

Someone's been watching too many leaf filter commercials.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Z9WN/leaffil...ave-15-percent

Guy in commercial is annoying and a typical opportunistic sales slug.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #65

So, being a retired firefighter, I have climbed many ladders and been on many roofs with no problems. Now, at 65, with 2 new hips and needing a new knee, I dont want to get on a ladder or a roof. So, how is the best way to clean the slideouts without getting on the roof. Hopefully next year I will get slide toppers.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnt18 View Post
So, being a retired firefighter, I have climbed many ladders and been on many roofs with no problems. Now, at 65, with 2 new hips and needing a new knee, I dont want to get on a ladder or a roof. So, how is the best way to clean the slideouts without getting on the roof. Hopefully next year I will get slide toppers.
Also a retired firefighter, at 67, I also need two new full knee replacements but hips and back are still okay. So I still will climb the ladder and work on the roof. Hoping the new knees will allow me to do some of the things I used to love to do.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #67

Honestly, it's pretty hard to do it (or confirm how well, without being above to see). In your case, it would probably be a good idea to hire someone. If you can use a latter to get up to the level to use a push broom, that would be the easiest. If not, and you have an SO, probably wouldn't be too difficult to rig up a piece of PVC (the appropriate length) with a towel wrapped around it and a couple ropes off each side. Pitch the rope over the top and have the other person pull it across to their side, dragging any debris with it.
Bwanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I need to apologize. I made light of PoppySteve's feelings and I was wrong to do so. Thank you for reminding us to be careful, PoppySteve, and I am truly sorry that my posts showed an insensitivity to your valid feelings.

Very Respectfully,
John
That’s a Navy man right there!

From a proud Navy vet!
Brian
Briand-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:25 AM   #69
Yukon_Bill

Angry Broken hand off

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
This subject probably comes up from time to time, but I think it's worth re-telling.

On a recent trip I saw 3 folks standing on their camper cleaning off the top of the slides. One had a broom, another a corded blower, and one with a battery blower.

There are many articles on the dangers this can present.

https://nfsi.org/nfsi-research/quick-facts/

https://www.ehstoday.com/constructio...g-off-a-ladder

As a personal note, my dad fell from a ladder while trimming tree limbs and broke his hip. Had to get it replaced. After recovery, he still had too much pain to drive and pull his camper more than a couple of hours. He eventually had to give it up due to the injury.
Mother’s Day, 2019, I was trimming trees, 5 steps up ladder: Fell and broke my hand off. 5 surgeries and a year in rehab—yes ladders can be dangerous. We have to pay more attention to footing, placement and security—a good spotter helps. Be safe guys, truly me it isn’t worth the pain. PS, I still get up on ladders, but more safety conscious .
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:01 AM   #70

Thread drift follows:
Quote:
Times have changed lol, early in my railroad career I ran on the top of a train from the last car to the engine while traveling across town to save some time when we didn’t have a caboose.
Long career! Roof walkways stopped being placed in new boxcars cars circa 1966 and had to be removed from existing cars by the mid 1970s. (Darn OSHA!) Cabooses were eliminated from 99% of railroads very quickly after the railroads got the government -- and unions -- to stop the requirement for train crews to be three or more. But I noticed this morning that all the boxcars in the Class 1 railroad that runs right by my office (as in the middle of it) have walkways and all freight trains when pulled by steam engines have cabooses (or cabin cars).

"Darn OSHA" was sarcastic: a hundred years ago the railroads were killing 35 employees per day on average in the period 1890-1917. 230,000 in total or about 8,500/year. Down to 907 in 2019 -- still a dangerous profession but at least few are falling off moving car roofs.

-- Chuck
Old 06-18-2021, 06:11 AM   #71
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
As mentioned, it's tough without seeing.
I've witnessed a large beach towel tied to a rope that was thrown over the slide. Using a helper, they pulled the towel back and forth across the top.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
And those darn ladders they put on the back of RVs. What are those manufacturers thinking! They should at least post a warning sticker next to the ladder, "Warning - this ladder is not to be used for climbing onto the roof. It is only to be used as a place to strap bicycles, empty sewer tote tanks, and antenna masts to!"
People used to have common sense so no 'warning sticker' was needed.

People to stupid ot use common sense wouldn't be able to understand the warning label anyway.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Getting up on the roof of your RV is typically just part of owning an RV. You should be up there at least a couple of times a year checking the caulking and all the plastic covers to make sure everything is good. Just take your time, move slow and you should be fine.

If we all worried about the dangers of the regular things we do almost every day (driving, walking across the street, climbing ladders, etc...) nobody would ever leave their house.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK

Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #74

Use a drone

Like others, I don't do ladders and heights well.

I use a drone for roof inspection on the RV and the cabin.

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #75

Quote:
Get a collapsible ladder and clean the slideout from the side using a push broom? It still involves a ladder but not so much elevation.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #76

As mentioned before, everything we do can potentially be dangerous! I stepped out of an RV, missed the steps and broke my ankle!!
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #77

Everyone who died doing something dangerous or risky, please raise your hand…

Looks like nothing can kill us, please carry on!

(Based on my observation that if you only rely on first hand accounts of personal experiences, Russian Roulette is perfectly safe)
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Someone's been watching too many leaf filter commercials.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Z9WN/leaffil...ave-15-percent

Guy in commercial is annoying and a typical opportunistic sales slug.

What annoys me is this one Telecommunications commercial with this woman climbing a tower. How stupid they make her look. I know she is not a professional climber and doesn't know any better, but someone should have consulted a pro. They have her wearing the safety gear, BUT NOT USING IT!

Fall arrest only works when at least one carabiner is attached. You never ever go up a tower without at least ONE FA clipped to the tower, as you go up, you attach the second before detaching the first. Both her FA were clipped to the harness! In one shot they have her attached to a cable arrest, but she is 10' away horizontal to it. If she were to fall she would have swung down and into the tower.

I know it is just a commercial but it irks me to no end to see things like that being a Certified tower climber.

Years ago some store chain, I think Target had a RC drone chasing people. I contacted their agency and laid into them about how dangerous showing something like that can be and they did pull the ad a week later. I mentioned checking with the AMA if they were in doubt, so they must have taken it seriously.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #79

Falling is the #1 cause for injury in the U.S. I fear it each time I'm up on top of my 5th wheel camper, yet I have to go up there to inspect, clean, maintain, repair. I'd like to have a harness system to attach to some overhead scaffold / boom arm, to protect me from falling. Alas, I have no such overhead scaffolding upon which to attach said safety mechanism. But I keep my mind open for practical and affordable safety solutions.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #80

I took the OP as 3 people and some equipment on one roof which seems excessive. There has to be some sort of limit. My ladder says 300 lb limit.
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4 x 4
2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4 x 4
LizzyRN is offline   Reply With Quote