Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #1

Scary situation regarding propane today

Our camper lives next to a river that could have potentially flooded for Hurricane Sally, so I picked it up and brought it home. The house could flood, but I figure the camper is insured at the house, so we'd have less pushback if it gets flooded, plus if we needed to evacuate, the trailer is already here. Anyhow...

I had pulled off one of the propane tanks to use on the gas grill that we have at the river. Apparently the tie down doesn't like the unbalanced load, because while I was driving back, I saw the plastic cover fly off. Fortunately, I was close to a rest area. I pulled over and found the propane tank dragging under the trailer, still connected to the lines. The unbalanced load caused the long threaded bolt to vibrate out of it's connection. Once the storm passes, I'll rebuild the whole thing and test the lines for any leaks using soap and water. I'll also figure out how to turn in an intact, but scratched up tank.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
Site Team

The Tee bracket that holds the tanks in place is not designed to work well with only one tank. Glad you caught it and were able to correct it before any damage was done.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #3

Yikes.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504patrick View Post
The unbalanced load caused the long threaded bolt to vibrate out of it's connection.
One of the first things I did when we bought our current trailer was to put red Loctite on the threaded rod at the base and a jam nut on the bottom side, I noticed that the rod was already loose when we got it home from the dealership.....

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504patrick View Post
Our camper lives next to a river that could have potentially flooded for Hurricane Sally, so I picked it up and brought it home. The house could flood, but I figure the camper is insured at the house, so we'd have less pushback if it gets flooded, plus if we needed to evacuate, the trailer is already here. Anyhow...

I had pulled off one of the propane tanks to use on the gas grill that we have at the river. Apparently the tie down doesn't like the unbalanced load, because while I was driving back, I saw the plastic cover fly off. Fortunately, I was close to a rest area. I pulled over and found the propane tank dragging under the trailer, still connected to the lines. The unbalanced load caused the long threaded bolt to vibrate out of it's connection. Once the storm passes, I'll rebuild the whole thing and test the lines for any leaks using soap and water. I'll also figure out how to turn in an intact, but scratched up tank.
Not really unbalanced, simply clamped crooked, and probably bending the rod.
As far as the rod goes it should be threaded through the base enough to put a jam nut on the bottom. Either 2 tanks of equal size or no tanks.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #6

Glad everything worked out and that you are safe!
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #7

Good Information. I'm glad all worked out well.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

Had kind of similar episode. Several years ago we took vacation to Destin Fl. Going 70mph through Louisiana I saw something in driver rear view mirror. My gas burner was dragging behind trailer. I pulled over. We had a cargo rack on back of 5er and I had propane tank and burner strapped to it. Well thanks to the smoooooth highway system, the bouncing caused the strap to break. It just so happened the strap, somehow, wrapped around propane tank which was dragging on highway also. Dodged major bullet. Tank was scratched up but turned it into Walmart and got another no questions asked.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #9

Just wanted to add I was sitting in a parking lot one day when I heard a racket coming from the road and when I looked over a truck pulling a camper was flying down the road with a propane tank dragging behind throwing sparks under the tongue. Things like that have taught me to double check everything. He was gone in a flash must have been an emergency somewhere.
Larzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane