Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #41
Alpha Wolf 29DQ-L

This may be a clearer illustration of sitch

There was a WHOLE hell of a lot of air between truck nose and canyon floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NINTCHDBPICT000641916813.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	250084  
Jcrow9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Looking at the pic, I see what he's talking about. It looks like there was an outcrop that the nose of the truck ended up resting on that took some of the weight off.

Although it's difficult to tell for sure from the angle the pic was taken.

Attachment 249896
There is no outcrop of rocks even though that picture might certainly lead one to that conclusion. That pickup is in the middle of the bridge and the bottom of the ravine is approximately 100 feet down. The pickup had nothing holding it but those safety chains. Can't even imagine what was going thru their minds while they waited for help to arrive.
dcrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrajr View Post
There is no outcrop of rocks even though that picture might certainly lead one to that conclusion. That pickup is in the middle of the bridge and the bottom of the ravine is approximately 100 feet down. The pickup had nothing holding it but those safety chains. Can't even imagine what was going thru their minds while they waited for help to arrive.
Agreed.

Multiple videos and pictures from different angles have been posted since I made that post.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #44

Mr. Dan, thanks for being on top of this and blending all the threads. Quite a story.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #45

To see all the pictures posted by the Magic Valley Paramedics, click here. D@mn scary and big kudos for a rescue job well done!
https://www.facebook.com/MVParamedic...7381192630856/
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #46

I was first on the scene of a semi that went out of control in bad weather on an overpass similar to the situation described here. The tractor was literally hanging on by the fifth wheel pin and the tractor was about eye level to the bridge deck but about 10 feet from the edge of the demolished guardrail. I ran up and was able to communicate with the driver who was trapped in the cab and could not free his legs.

I talked to the driver to assure him help was on the way and then I made the mistake of looking down, holy crap!, I literally had to back off, way too far down for my comfort level. Other people gathered around to help and soon emergency crews showed up.

I went back to my car and watched the emergency crews do their job. I have to say they went above and beyond the call of duty, what they did was amazing. Most of the crews were volunteer fire-rescue crews from local communities.

To all our local volunteer rescue and paid firefighter rescue crews a big Thank You for your service.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:47 PM   #47

Picture is breathtaking! Something caused that accident and maybe wind. PLEASE fellow RVers - slow down, respect the wind and use the proper sway equipment. There is no reason for RVs flying by me at 80 miles per hour. This couple was so lucky, but not respecting your traveling environment, your outcome could be something different. Let's be safe out there!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Looking at the pic, I see what he's talking about. It looks like there was an outcrop that the nose of the truck ended up resting on that took some of the weight off.

Attachment 249896
The Larry2c video shows several angles. It appears the Ford was totally suspended by the chains. The best view is just past the first rescuer's account of the effort.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Perhaps that "something else" was complacency caused by the fact it was a 1 ton p/u and the speed was a little high for the conditions. Maybe that "1/2 ton driver" would have been driving a lot slower.

Like someone said in another thread recently "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it (or that it's wise).

Think about the times you are driving along the highway at a reasonable speed only to be passed by someone well over the speed limit towing their trailer along with a 1 ton.

Was that the case with this accident? Don't know. I do know that in the interview aired on an Idaho TV station, he driver did admit that they'd encountered some wind issues earlier.
We were in Nebraska, returning from a hunting trip not driving fast because of the wind. I had a k-20 Chevy with all the heavy duty options available. We were towing a 21' single axle TT using a EQ hitch. The cross wind was tolerable until a rogue gust put us cross ways on a two lane road. I used the manual brake controller to regain control. We have driven in some pretty strong cross winds over the years. But never before or since did we experience that strong of a gust. I would equate it to a very strong wind devil.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #50
Now a "Top Member"

The couple driving this rig were interviewed tonight. The were well aware of the winds there. He said they had driven it many times before, but just got caught this time. Anyway, here is the interview. Very interesting and pretty cool. Y'all be safe out there!!

Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #51

That was near where I live. A combination of wind, driving too fast, and improper weight distribution at the rear of the trailer is what lead to that scary situation.

There was a go fund me account that raised over $47,000. First world problems.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...36798&sfnsn=mo
RockyMtnFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #52

Quote:

Attachment 249896
It really looks like the nose is crunched and sitting a ledge. No matter. Still scary and very lucky
S.kimbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I want to install a pair of those safety chains.
They are on an RV page I am on. Nope canít tell you which one I am like on over a dozen...but she told the story. They had those chains welded in 4 additional places prior to installing. She said they did save them from the wind that whipped up and tossed them like a rag doll.
Sam Hyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #54

I know when I see an RV trailer and I see the crappy BTT chains barley welded on. I can only assume this RV was a special one off case, we all have seen some really crappy welds in our day.

To think the man following was a tow truck, had extra chains around and was willing to hook his truck on to help and maintain the truck without falling to the bottom. I would do it but I don't always have chains... and to think there is only so much to hook to at times especially when the axles are half torn off.

Nice to know good people are still out there.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #55

We used to live about 30 miles west of Malad Gorge. Been knocked around I-84 a few times there without a trailer to the point I got in the habit of driving in the left lane over the gorge. It doesn't take much wind to make it dangerous with the gorge being a few hundred feet wide and narrows to around a 100 feet at the freeway. Glad the couple is alright. Scary

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #56

Saw that on our local news before leaving for Death Valley yesterday. Saw a fifth wheel fresh pile of kindling in the ditch from wind in NV yesterday. Sheriff there with blinking lights so must have just happened. Out in the middle of NV.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #57

I don't believe that luck had anything to do with this situation. It was the pure will of God holding that truck in place. It makes for a good argument on the necessity of good safety chains. I would be thanking the Father, Son, & Holy Ghost for pulling me thru this situation.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #58

Well, the guy who responded to the scene, said it all. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...way-85020.html

Too fast, unbalanced load, wind, and it set up a sway situation they could not get out of. Explains why it looked like it was going down the road the wrong direction.

Perfect example of what can happen if you aren't properly set up.

What's really interesting is this is the second Superduty I saw this year that went over a bridge rail. Up in Milwaukee a Superduty slid on some ice and went up the packed snow at the edge of the concrete barrier, went over the barrier and plunged 70' to the highway below. Driver survived. https://abc7chicago.com/milwaukee-tr...over/10330033/ The real irony, it was also a 2004 F350.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #59

Anti Sway Hitch

I love my Hensley anti sway hitch. Never ever have a problem with swaying in heavy wind or from semi trucks. Expensive ($2700) but it was well worth it.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #60
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Being a now ex-fulltimer, this is one of the big arguments on RVing forums and groups- the decision to not tell your insurance company you're fulltime and not to explore what the full/proper coverage you should have.

I've always made sure that I had proper coverage on the truck, camper, expensive add-ons in the truck, proper coverage of my belongings in the camper, and coverage to provide me with housing while I figure out a replacement truck + RV. (Which, I very well may immediate sell- I don't think I could drive after this!)

What I'm most impressed by is I read that the driver, passenger, and dogs were all properly seat belted. People are standard that they're in seat belts, but rarely do you see dogs in them too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
What makes this even more tragic is that this couple were 'full timers' who are now homeless and lost everything.
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...5-c5b4d999c795
Turns out, I've read a little more about this. The dogs weren't seat belted like I thought. They fell to the floor and the owners held onto them.

As well, turns out they didn't have a proper fulltimer policy. The trailer was covered but not the contents. They were "lucky" this went viral and the GoFundMe raised pert near $50k. Most fulltimers won't be so lucky if their house ever gets demolished in an accident.

It's a oft debated topic in the Fulltime community, "what defines fulltime?" or "how will the insurance company know?". Freaking be well insured so you don't have to hope you go viral.

Tags
safety