Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #1

Search is back on for a larger trailer

In an earlier post, I asked for input on a larger trailer. But a larger trailer would require a upgraded tow vehicle as well so I called off the search. Well the search may be back on. I went out for my first trip of the year and while it was great, I still want a little more room and especially a better shower. I have a corner shower with just a floor pan and curtain and water comes out onto the floor very easily.

So I am still considering a new camper, but one that is just a couple models up from the one I have but it has a tub. Plus it has a wardrobe in the bathroom and a dinette. It is less than 300 lbs heavier than what I have as well. But it will put me at my max CGVWR. I crossed a scale yesterday and here are my numbers:

Truck:
Front axle rating: 3,450 lb
Front axle actual weight: 3,080 lb

Rear axle rating: 3,800 lb
Rear axle actual weight: 3,320 lb

Trailer:
Dry weight: 3,804 lbs
Actual weight: 3,820 lbs

Combined Weight: 10,220 lbs
CGVWR: 10,600 lbs

So I am 400 lbs from my max and the new trailer is 215 lbs heavier than my current trailer. The only things I lacked when I crossed the scales were my two kayaks (about 140 lbs total) and my wife's bicycle (25 lbs). So as you can see, I will be easily at my 10,600 lb rating and maybe sometimes slightly over, would you let that stop you from upgrading? If I have to get a truck it is probably a deal killer.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Well some help you guys are. We decided to go ahead and make the trade. We will be trading our MicroLite 21FBRS on a MicroLite 25DS this Saturday. I am a little saddened to see the 21 go as it was our first camper and I have enjoyed it overall. But the 25 solves a couple problems for us without being too much larger.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

I doubt very much if you will notice any difference in towing. The weight police will no doubt chime in and chastise you tho'.

Congratulations on your new trailer.

Tags
trailer