Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #161

My confession is that I have strayed from Dodge Ram on a couple of occasions! I have owned both a Ford and Chevy!

Sorry momma but it's true and it won't ever happen again!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
My confession is that I have strayed from Dodge Ram on a couple of occasions! I have owned both a Ford and Chevy!

Sorry momma but it's true and it won't ever happen again!

"Dodge" is what you're supposed to do when the salesman comes at you.
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #163

The wife and I were COMPLETELY prepared for having a trailer since this is our first.
We go to back into the first site. Get the walkie talkies out, she can tell me where to stop.
Our confession is, that you have to actually turn them on to be able to hear the wife SCREAMING into it to STOP!!!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #164
JAYCO Representative

We're building a Wildcat concept coach right now (online today!) outfitted with goodies people here have asked for... and I can't wait to share the info! We've never built anything like it before!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
OK, I'll confess...I was scared outta my everlovin' mind, but I drove "Biff" and towed "Francis" coming back from this trip!

I *will* conquer this demon! So, after crossing over from MS to LA I asked DH to let me take that frightening first step. Conditions were optimal...late at night, not a lot of traffic.

So now I know what it feels like to have an 18 wheeler overtake ya while crossing one of those small bridges with the rough approaches. I understand that the air "push" can occur long before the vehicle overtaking you even reaches the axels on the TT.

I've learned that, as he says, "just drive the truck" makes sense. I'm *learning* that slow reaction is best when dealing with the buffeting. Center yourself and stay away from rumble strips. FTR, no, I didn't hit 'em until I pulled over to let him take it back, after we "thought" we heard an unusual noise....just eased over 'em, that was enough to convince me.

So yeah, I did it for about 45 miles! Swore to him I'd stay above minimum (40) but *not* more than 50! Holy moley, before I knew it I was at 60! ACK! back 'er down!

He says I did very well, and to be honest it wasn't near as terrible as I'd worked my self up to believing it'd be.

Oh, and this is Tuesday, that was Sunday night...today I can actually uncurl my fingers.
I hear ya sister! I haven't tried it yet but we've been talking about me learning to tow the 8000 lb shoebox. I want to practice in a parking lot. DH wants me to learn on the road. Frightens the bejesus out of me! I'll certainly lose sleep over this...
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #166
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I hear ya sister! I haven't tried it yet but we've been talking about me learning to tow the 8000 lb shoebox. I want to practice in a parking lot. DH wants me to learn on the road. Frightens the bejesus out of me! I'll certainly lose sleep over this...
My wife had no background, no prep and simply got in the driver's seat one day at a campground. Drove the pop-up like a pro, even over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (the bridge that many hate).

Same with the fifth wheel. One day, as we were leaving, we decided that she was going to tow the big camper home. We even made a pit stop at her Mom's with some small-ish side roads to get there. With the fifth wheel, the campground is fairly tight around the camping loops with an awful turn to get out of there. She cried once we were on the road- but that's kind of her style.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #167

My confession, when we were looking to buy our first camper, I did not repeat - DID NOT want a popup! Figures, that when we saw the High Walls at the RV show, we really liked it and it met all our needs. We went to the dealer after the show and still liked it. And then I figured it would be easy to tow - after all they are alot shorter than the hybrid TT we were also considering and we would be able see out the back window of the TV making backing up easier - so the thinking went. Well we ended up buying the HW popup and when we went to pick it up, it was the first time I saw it closed up - OMG the thing was tall. No way were we going to see over it I still have issues backing it up (mostly at the house, I do pretty good at the campground) - so for the other confession - I tow it all the way into the backyard, swing it around and come back out to park it beside the house rather than back it up the driveway....saves alot of aggravation that way.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

My wife had no background, no prep and simply got in the driver's seat one day at a campground. Drove the pop-up like a pro, even over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (the bridge that many hate).

Same with the fifth wheel. One day, as we were leaving, we decided that she was going to tow the big camper home. We even made a pit stop at her Mom's with some small-ish side roads to get there. With the fifth wheel, the campground is fairly tight around the camping loops with an awful turn to get out of there. She cried once we were on the road- but that's kind of her style.
Well, I cried the first time I used the table saw....again, scared the crap out of me. But once I learned, its all good.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #169

Im the creeper that drives through the campground real slow in the middle of the day while on work trips scouting out the next spot.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #170
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Im the creeper that drives through the campground real slow in the middle of the day while on work trips scouting out the next spot.

Was that you?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #171
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

WOW..... way to man up and you survived !!
I would have gotten outta they way of that train wreck!!
Did you nap across the bridge?? !
JK thats awsum kudos to her!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #172
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I once took out a campsite marker post, driving forward. Never saw it, didn't feel it, and stood it back up with a couple rocks around it. Good as new!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie325i View Post
Here is my confession: We like to go "camper stalking" right around dusk. Not so much to see what people are doing, more to see their rig, camp setup, tow vehicles, goofy lights, etc. This is almost always done with a Jameson's on the rocks in-hand.

BTW, this is a great thread...

Jamie
We all do it! Such a fun part of RVing. And it does help keeping everything in "Good Housekeeping" condition 'cause you never know when the next sightseer will appear. Maybe should be honest and start a "progressive" stalk like a progressive dinner and go from rig to rig for apps and drinks along with the "invasion" tour. Party RVers would love it.

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #174
Site Team

Originally Posted by jamie325i View Post
Here is my confession: We like to go "camper stalking" right around dusk. Not so much to see what people are doing, more to see their rig, camp setup, tow vehicles, goofy lights, etc. This is almost always done with a Jameson's on the rocks in-hand.

We do it too.. As well as watch campers try and back in there site and set up..cheap entertainment!
Guess we really need to get a life

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #175
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
The wife and I were COMPLETELY prepared for having a trailer since this is our first.
We go to back into the first site. Get the walkie talkies out, she can tell me where to stop.
Our confession is, that you have to actually turn them on to be able to hear the wife SCREAMING into it to STOP!!!
That right there is funny!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #176

I once tried to pull my truck away forgetting to detach one of the safety chains. Didn't get very far. As I got out to unhook it, I looked around to see if anyone saw me.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #177
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Like the safety chains, I once forgot to undo the transom straps on my boat. Started it up went to back off and it wouldn't budge, so I goosed the throttle a little and snapped both of them off. Didn't notice it until my wife pulled the trailer out of the water and saw them hanging off the trailer. Ooops
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #178

My confession.. I used a dirty word on this forum once and got sent to the principal's office.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I once tried to pull my truck away forgetting to detach one of the safety chains. Didn't get very far. As I got out to unhook it, I looked around to see if anyone saw me.
Did that over the labor Day weekend. Also looked around to see if anyone noticed, but everyone else appeared to be enjoying the a/c in their trailers.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #180

Unhappy

Like others, I dread backing up; but not as much as I dread/worry about finding a gas station where I can pull my rig into when the need arises.